shackle options - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > shackle options

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 04-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
88cjwrangler7
1988 YJ Wrangler 

shackle options

hey guys,
i know this has probably been addressed before. but i was wondering what everyone is running in the way of shackles.

first off i have an 88 yj with a 2.5L 5spd with 3 inches of body lift. i bought it that way. i am adding 1.5 inch superlift suspension to it and i want to use greasable shackles. i was looking at currie boomerangs in the back and regular curries in the front.

the second option is daystar shackles front and rear. any suggestions. this is going on my dd and i just want a good ride for a yj if you can believe that and i also want to have good articulation in the woods.

thanks in advance

John

p.s. i live in south new jersey and ride in the pines so i am not building a rock crawler out of it yet.

-235/75/15 tires
-soon to have xj44
88cjwrangler7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Shackles are shackles are shackles. Two pieces of metal with holes in them. Greaseable is cool if you remember to grease them. Boomerangs are cool for clearance.

I'm not sure if anybody on JF makes them anymore, but a lot of guys just cut some 1/4" steel and save some bucks over the big names in ultimate shackle technology.
Unread 04-11-2010, 09:32 PM   #3
88cjwrangler7
1988 YJ Wrangler 

thanks

hey guys,

thanks for looking. i just want to know what shackles work better and what i should avoid just wanted a couple of opinions thanks again. any other advice appreicated
-235/75/15 tires
-soon to have xj44
Unread 04-11-2010, 09:33 PM   #4
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Put 5/8ths booms all the way around. MORE booms have thicker gauge steel, which a lot of people like. A shackle is a shackle as mentioned. There is something to be said about just keeping stock shackle length, maybe just paint the stock ones to look new again. Easy on the shackle lifts though, you are already running a 3 inch BL. Really the best way to do this is just buy the exact amount of lift you want with the suspension lift springs, and stop there, stop with the BL'S, stop with the shackle lifts..it's kind of mickey mousey in a way to start messing with BL'S and Shackle lifts. Wow, I am going to get some negative response probably, but, I dunno, kind of how I am viewing things now. I have a 5/8ths boom shackle lift so I am guilty myself, but the thought of going more than that is an unsettling one. Your 3 inch BL is already freaking me out, nevermind adding lift shackles.
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 09:47 PM   #5
88cjwrangler7
1988 YJ Wrangler 

shackles

thanks i am afriad to remove the BL and i wasnt looking to do much with a shackle lift. i was really just looking to get a little more performance out of the suspension i was going to go with stock shackles but i was just wondering what people are runnign and what works and doesnt i dont want to go much higher anyway just needed stock springs and found a new unused 1.5 superlift for less than new stock springs would cost so jumpped on it. how much lift do booms give over stock
-235/75/15 tires
-soon to have xj44
Unread 04-11-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
roccomonte
1991 YJ Wrangler 

made these myself, 5.5" eye to eye gave me ALOT more droop, I think I can get even more with a longer shackle though.

full droop on stock looked like this

heres how my new ones look at about 1" from full droop

But, I also have longer driveshaft, stainless steel extended brake lines which i still gotta put on, and super long shocks that are only using about 2/3rds or the shock shaft.

Last edited by roccomonte; 04-11-2010 at 10:09 PM..
roccomonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, how about this, one inch BL'S, that's good. And up to max 1 inch on the shackle, and stop there. Then no-mans-land after that. Everyone good with that? I'll probably put a 1 inch BL on my jeep someday. So yes I am guilty guilty guilty.
Unread 04-11-2010, 10:05 PM   #8
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Roccomonte! Looks great! Much better than stock.
Unread 04-12-2010, 05:36 AM   #9
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccomonte View Post
made these myself, 5.5" eye to eye gave me ALOT more droop, I think I can get even more with a longer shackle though.

heres how my new ones look at about 1" from full droop

But, I also have longer driveshaft, stainless steel extended brake lines which i still gotta put on, and super long shocks that are only using about 2/3rds or the shock shaft.
Those are not very strong you might want to remake them with wider steel and one piece not two welded together. I would use some 3/16 to 1/4 plate or wide strap to make the next ones and add a bolt to keep them from inverting.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #10
SloppyJoseph
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Get the Mountain Offroad shackles. (MORE for short.) I have the 5/8" boom greasable and they are awesome. I snapped a stock shackle up front and had to replace the set asap. I called MORE and had them by the end of the week. I highly reccomend them to anyone looking for shackles. The customer service is fantastic.
SloppyJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 11:25 AM   #11
Mitchness
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have the 5/8ths MORE booms. Would've preferred the stock length ones, but with the military wrap on the BDS springs the spring was contacting bumper at any mild compression. They're beefy as hell and well made.
Mitchness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 11:37 AM   #12
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm like the most...
MORE 5/8 boomer in the back(I have an 8.8 and the larger axle requires that lift just to get back to zero, and the boomerang is nice for frame clearance which gives more movement in the suspension) and MORE straight no lift in front.
jeepster93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 11:45 AM   #13
roccomonte
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
Those are not very strong you might want to remake them with wider steel and one piece not two welded together. I would use some 3/16 to 1/4 plate or wide strap to make the next ones and add a bolt to keep them from inverting.
They're pletny strong, its not just square tubing.
Its 1/4" plate cutout that I was origonally gonna use as a shackle and then I thoguht it was too weak So I cut some square tube down the middle with 2 30*s and stuck that on the outside... So the interal is 1 solid 1/4" piece.
roccomonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #14
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

the most important part of the whole thing is to have the proper size and length steel tubes and matching bushings. I had a set for a while that looked right but the tubes were a little too short and the entire system was bound up and it limited flex a lot.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.