Shackle lift necessary? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Shackle lift necessary?

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 09-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
TheBootlegger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Shackle lift necessary?

Hello, my jeep has a 4" lift with discos and is going to roll 33"s, should that setup get enough flex or is it best to get a little more clearance between the tires and fenders? How many inches, boomrang or not?

Thanks!

TheBootlegger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Longer shackles, Do allow more lift, Also they allow more wheel travel. Boomerang shackles keep the shackles from inverting and bending springs. They also clear the rear crossmember An Ideal shackle would be a 5/8" Boomerang shackle
Unread 09-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Flex will also depend on your springs. I had a 3 inch spring lift where the springs were so tightly clamped together that I never saw good flex, I now have the RE 4.5 lift and have great flex. Other things to look at are your brake lines, did you relocate them or get longer lines? Finally, yes I'd go greasable boomerang.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I agree about going to 5/8lift shackles.
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 02:56 AM   #5
TheBootlegger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome answers, clear and newbie friendly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno72 View Post
Flex will also depend on your springs. I had a 3 inch spring lift where the springs were so tightly clamped together that I never saw good flex, I now have the RE 4.5 lift and have great flex. Other things to look at are your brake lines, did you relocate them or get longer lines? Finally, yes I'd go greasable boomerang.

I had to make a new brake line to replace one that broke when I was installing the suspension so i made it longer than stock. The others were fine, but the previous owner had an.. unorthodox way of changing brake lines, so there was plenty of line to relocate them confortably and with a lot of free room.

Greasable 5/8 boomerang, that's noted. Thanks!
TheBootlegger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.