Shackle bolt help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Shackle bolt help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 09-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
attentionwhore
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Shackle bolt help

I just dont get it. I am trying to get the bolt out that is in the frame side, I have new bushings and sleeves so I am not worried about getting the sleeve off the bolt. I just cant seem to get the entire thing to move. Are the bushings seized to the frame and if so how do I get them loose?

attentionwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Not to be funny but all of the bolts are on the frame side. Which are you talking about more precise.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

As far as bushings, the best way I have found to get them out is to drill a bunch of holes into them to loosen the old rubber. The bolt on the driver side top near the gas tank will have to be cut out. A sawzall will work just fine.

You can replace the bolts with greasable bolts or grease the bolts and bushings very well before installing them. Torque to half of factory spec of 45 ft lb front and rear and 65 lbs for the center main bolts.

The center main bolts you will most likely need heat and a big breaker bar or impact wrench with the heat.

When you are all done expect your ride to be 100 percent better and trail riding will be night and day difference.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
attentionwhore
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The upper shackle bolt, I said frame side since the other end of the shackle is the spring side, guess I should have said "end" instead.
Unread 09-21-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
attentionwhore
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I was thinking the same thing with the drilling out of the rubber. I already have the bolts, they came with the boom shackles I just got from VACJ5.
Unread 09-21-2011, 05:56 PM   #6
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Cut the bolt off from the outterside and u should have enough room to wiggle it out the inner side. I hit it with a punch to knock it thru first. for the bushing grab that thing with sum plyers, vise grips whatever on the outside n get it out of ur way...I had to fight with mine to get them out as well, if one side pulls off just use the metal tube in the center from another one as a punch to knock the inner one out. spray sum pb in there first a couple knocks n itll come out.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #7
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

normally the metal sleeves are seized to the bolts. Cut off both ends with an angle grinder to get the spring free of the frame.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2011, 06:18 PM   #8
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
normally the metal sleeves are seized to the bolts. Cut off both ends with an angle grinder to get the spring free of the frame.
^^ that X2

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2011, 06:33 PM   #9
attentionwhore
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well the nut came off the bolt no problem and I beat the ***** out of the bolt to get it to move towards the gas tank and no go.
Unread 09-21-2011, 08:09 PM   #10
firefighter315
I got a brain sneeze....

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by attentionwhore View Post
Well the nut came off the bolt no problem and I beat the ***** out of the bolt to get it to move towards the gas tank and no go.
The quickest route is going to be what JBolty suggested above. Cut both sides of the bolt and get the shackle off the frame and the spring out of the shackle. Then, if needed, you can drill out multiple holes around the sleeve inside of the bushing to free the bushing up and get it out. There is a reason this is the same advice you'd get from 90% of the members here. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Unread 09-21-2011, 08:49 PM   #11
attentionwhore
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all you guys help. I will be tearing back into this on Friday so I will post my success.
Unread 09-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #12
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

DO NOT DO THIS>>THIS WAS A JOKE..Burn the bushings out using a supplied fuel line from the gas tank.....It shouldn't ignite the the jeep up in flames at all. REPEAT DO NOT DO THIS>>>>THIS WAS A JOKE. AIR CHISEL might help after you let some PB Blaster set on it for 24hrs or so.

Last edited by phil1330; 09-24-2011 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: did not have the fine print for the joke
phil1330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2011, 09:07 PM   #13
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
You can replace the bolts with greasable bolts....Torque to half of factory spec of 45 ft lb front and rear and 65 lbs for the center main bolts.
if you under torque them then the greasable bolts and sleeves will be useless and a waste of money.
Unread 09-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #14
attentionwhore
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Install is complete! What a biotch! Took me 3 hours to get it done, both rear frame bushings were seized to the frame and the front left spring bolt was seized to the sleeve. The only one that came off easy was the front right. Havent taken it for a test spin yet but I did notice that the PO must have never replaced the front shocks after the lift was installed and they are completely extended now : , just didnt notice it before.
Unread 09-23-2011, 12:59 PM   #15
firefighter315
I got a brain sneeze....

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Glad to hear ya got it done. They can definitely be a pain in the butt!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.