shackle and or body lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > shackle and or body lift

PANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thiIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-23-2014, 08:28 AM   #1
badweatherbiker
1995 YJ Wrangler 

shackle and or body lift

looking for 1.5 to 2" of total lift for my 1995 YJ. I was going to order the 1.25 body lift by Rough Country and was thinking of a small shackle lift what are some suggestions? I don't want to do any crazy modifications and I am running 31's and likely won't ever run anything bigger and it is a daily driver. I also don't have much cash to work with.
I know folks don't like either but I don't rock crawl so I don't need that much flex and not worried about approach and departure angle.

badweatherbiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2014, 08:40 AM   #2
Randonexplosion
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

A 1.25" body lift is fine as well as a shackle lift up to 1". You may notice some odd steering characteristics with the shackle lift but it probably wont be much since you are still on stock springs.

Looking for 92+ front female seatbelts
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2014, 10:26 AM   #3
badweatherbiker
1995 YJ Wrangler 

what kind of odd steering? Right now my power steering is out so steering isn't good anyway.
I see welded shackles and bolted shackles any which is best? I have my stock leafsprings and they are flat
Unread 12-23-2014, 10:33 AM   #4
Roy_Bob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I hate my shackle lift. Work you're way through this and you'll have your answers. I found it extremely valuable for forming my suspension upgrade plans. Now for the financial part....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/a...ackles-622357/
On board air.
Roy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
badweatherbiker
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'll go ahead and look through it, may just go with a 2" body lift for now since its cheap enough
Unread 12-23-2014, 11:19 AM   #6
Randonexplosion
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

When you do a body lift there are other things that have to be corrected like fan shroud and trans/transfer case shifter linkage. The higher you go the more difficulty you may have. Same thing with shackles, the longer your shackles are the more it affects your caster angle (wandering steering, return to center etc). When I installed my 5/8" lift shackles I could immediately tell a difference in my steering. I'd recommend doing a quality 1" body lift first then go from there. My Prothane bushing kit was nice, here is the 1" lift version http://www.amazon.com/Prothane-1-113...hane+body+lift

As for the shackles greasable boomerang shackles are nice. http://www.mountainoffroad.com/_e/Lu...ng_Shackle.htm

Looking for 92+ front female seatbelts
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2014, 11:56 AM   #7
Anticanman
RIP one good jeeper

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I would suggest a 1" body lift and some larger flares.
Unread 12-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #8
badweatherbiker
1995 YJ Wrangler 

thanks guys, don't know if I can swing the flares but they would be nice, I may just trim the stock YJ ones and go with the 1 or 1.25 lift
Unread 12-23-2014, 12:55 PM   #9
StanF
Web Wheeler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I would suggest a 1" body lift and some larger flares.
This is pretty good advice. I'm not a big fan of shackle lifts unless you need to level out your Jeep for some reason (and then only a very small lift).

Or just buy a 2" lift kit, like the Zone 2" lift kit. Then you won't need any additional lift.
StanF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2014, 12:55 PM   #10
Anticanman
RIP one good jeeper

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Check craigslist for some used TJ flares in your area. I bet after Christmas they will be everywhere.

Jeep parts galore.
Unread 12-23-2014, 01:19 PM   #11
badweatherbiker
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Check craigslist for some used TJ flares in your area. I bet after Christmas they will be everywhere.

Jeep parts galore.
will do thanks!
Unread 12-23-2014, 01:38 PM   #12
t2timmy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Here's some food for thought... A body lift isn't going to be THAT much easier if at all then a small lift kit. Like the other guys said you may need to move linkages and things like the fan shroud and other things in the engine bay. Also I'm betting you won't get all the body to frame bolts without breaking some of them, causing quite a headache and time to remove and replace the bolts. On the other end if you do shackles you will need to drop the rear gas tank in order to get the rear eye bolts out, at least I had to with my 19 (If I remember correct) gallon tank. I know you said you don't have much to spend but YJ lifts aren't that expensive these days... and the benefits.. vastly outweigh the cons. And are a much greater improvement to your jeep and it's future. Def. way more than shackles or body lift. You would get new leaf springs, new shocks and new bushings with a lift kit. If your jeep is older and has high miles you will be buying these parts soon in the future anyways.
t2timmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2014, 02:07 PM   #13
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'll answer his question.

Yeah, if funds are low, go ahead and to a body lift and shackles.

If your body mount rubber is still good, you can use the M.O.R.E. 1" body lift. It can be found for @ 80 bucks if you shop around.
But no more than an inch. After an inch it becomes more involved and costly. the kit includes hardware to lower the fan shroud.

The you can get the crown 5/8th inch lift shackles. They are stout and pretty inexpensive. But keep the shackle lift small too. otherwise it will pretty drastically change the castor in the steering making it tough to keep driving in a straight line and also affects the return to center for the steering wheel after you make a turn.

That will give you about an inch and a half. You will notice it. It will still be safe and drive ok
Then maybe in 2015 your financial situation will improve and you can add some lift springs. You will be able to keep all the parts you just bought so no money wasted here.

If you plan to do this, start soaking all the bolts you plan to loosen with PB blaster ahead of time.

P.S. I was able to remove the upper rear shackle bolts without lowering my 20 gal gas tank. You need to pop out the bushings to allow the bolt to tilt first, then it's tight, but they will come out.
Unread 12-23-2014, 02:19 PM   #14
t2timmy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
I'll answer his question.

Yeah, if funds are low, go ahead and to a body lift and shackles.

If your body mount rubber is still good, you can use the M.O.R.E. 1" body lift. It can be found for @ 80 bucks if you shop around.
But no more than an inch. After an inch it becomes more involved and costly. the kit includes hardware to lower the fan shroud.

The you can get the crown 5/8th inch lift shackles. They are stout and pretty inexpensive. But keep the shackle lift small too. otherwise it will pretty drastically change the castor in the steering making it tough to keep driving in a straight line and also affects the return to center for the steering wheel after you make a turn.

That will give you about an inch and a half. You will notice it. It will still be safe and drive ok
Then maybe in 2015 your financial situation will improve and you can add some lift springs. You will be able to keep all the parts you just bought so no money wasted here.

If you plan to do this, start soaking all the bolts you plan to loosen with PB blaster ahead of time.

P.S. I was able to remove the upper rear shackle bolts without lowering my 20 gal gas tank. You need to pop out the bushings to allow the bolt to tilt first, then it's tight, but they will come out.
That sounds good, and sounds like you've done it before. I've never done a body lift, but have lifted my jeep 3 diff times and the last time went for an SOA. I just remember that first time lifting how much of a pita it was getting all the rusted bolts and spring eye bolts out of their bushings!! 18 years ago I never heard of PB blaster (which probably made it that much harder). Whereas today it's on the garage shelf all the time! Plus I'm in the rusty North East, and I think his Jeep is from Florida.
t2timmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2014, 02:21 PM   #15
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2timmy View Post
That sounds good, and sounds like you've done it before. I've never done a body lift, but have lifted my jeep 3 diff times and the last time went for an SOA. I just remember that first time lifting how much of a pita it was getting all the rusted bolts and spring eye bolts out of their bushings!! 18 years ago I never heard of PB blaster (which probably made it that much harder). Whereas today it's on the garage shelf all the time! Plus I'm in the rusty North East, and I think his Jeep is from Florida.
I might be wrong, but I was thinking Florida might not be bad.
My body lift took an hour.
There is still factory notes and chalk mark all over my Jeep.
The desert is good for something I guess!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.