Setting up an 8.8?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Setting up an 8.8??

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Setting up an 8.8??

While I am not ready to replace my turdy 5 with an 8.8 anytime soon, I do try to read up on stuff like this and I keep seeing how everyone is told to just pull the 35 and mock up the 8.8 in its place, weld perches on after setting the pinion angle and bolt it in. For those of us who are not ready to start messing with some of the angles and spring perch widths I saw something on musclecar tv on Spikes Powerblock when they replaced a 10 bolt rear with a 12 bolt. here is the video link and if you go to around 9:30 on this it shows how to use your old rear end to make a simple jig to weld perches and set your new rear axle up the same way the old one came out.

http://www.powerblocktv.com/episodes...aro-suspension

Is there any reason this would not be an easy way to do it assuming you are not adding a lift at the same time and just doing a straight swap of rear axles?? It seems to me that if the axle that is powering my Jeep now has no vibration issues, this would be an easier way to set the new rearend up.....

Input is appreciated if I am underthinking this at all....

My Jeep is possessed with the goal of making me lose my religion....
flcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
95YamJam
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That works fine if your not changing anything else.
Unread 05-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

There's a difference between cars and jeeps and that's because we utilize all of our suspension travel all the time. Of course most of the hot rods use more ponies so axle wrap is more of an issue. Personally, I just like to be safe and measure each axle to the vehicle in which its being installed.
Unread 05-26-2013, 04:21 AM   #4
lutzke21
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I found it easier to bolt the axle in place, ensure center and set the pinion angle, tack the perches, pull the axle back out and burn the perches in. Different axle with different tube diameter and a different pinion length means a potentially different pinion angle.

'94 YJ on 35s

JULY 2013 YJOTM
lutzke21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 05:57 AM   #5
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

A jig just isn't practical for the jeep setup. Will it work? Of course! Will you more than likely have to make changes? Of course

It really is pretty simple to do. Everyone becomes intimidated at the thought of doing custom fab work. It really is very simple and alot easier than you would expect.

There are plenty of people here ho can offer you all you need to know about doing it; just ask. There are a couple phenominal write ups on aswell with plenty of pictures to help.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.