setting 2 years...and gonna get started on it - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > setting 2 years...and gonna get started on it

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-18-2010, 07:40 PM   #1
Hillbilly Jeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

setting 2 years...and gonna get started on it

hello all
i have a 90 yj 4.2 and ax 15. this jeep has been setting for 2 years soild...last time i started it i had to coast start it due to a bad flywheel gear.
now i finally get to do some work on it..i have a new flywheel and weber carb rebuild kit. i checked the oil and its black as black can be .. but its still full.. so just wantin any advice before i let it crank over??..dont want to do any damage to this motor. this 4.2 dont have many miles on it..maybe 20,000 and the tranny has less than 5,000 so i just wanna fix it.. so what u all think?

Thanks all
Jeremy
ps il be doin alot more post...like ignition,gearin stuff like that later but just want to see what to do before that 1st crank over

Hillbilly Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
triplej1954
1981 CJ7 

Oil change, plugs and wires, flushing out the cooling system, fr fresh fuel, may need to clean-out the fuel system if it sat with gas in it.
triplej1954 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #3
Stryker777

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I always pour transmission fluid in the oil the night before. Turn the crank with a wrench a bit before you start it. Give it some fresh fuel and let er run for a bit. Sea foam the intake, add the rest to your gas, then do as TripleJ said. I had a Chevy truck set in a field for at least 7 years and now I drive it a few times a week to haul horses/hay/building materials.

In GOD we trust. It's a Jesus thing.
Stryker777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
Hillbilly Jeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

i was thinkin that myself...some people i have talked to said to just put the fly wheel on keep the tranny off and leave the rest together then disconnect your fuel lines and route it to a gas can straight from the fuel pump and try to fire it first and let it run for a few min and then start replacing.. what u all think of that??

Jeremy
Unread 04-18-2010, 08:32 PM   #5
Hillbilly Jeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

hmm how much tranny fluid and did you add it straight to the oil? and im gonna ask a dumb ? if your lookin at the motor what way to you hand crank left to right or right to left?
thanks all
Jeremy
Unread 04-18-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
Stryker777

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I drain a couple quarts of oil and replace it with a couple quarts of transmission fluid poured in the valve cover. Then right away (while the fluid is still moving down) start turning the crank clockwise (viewed from the front). After letting it sit over night, start it and let it run with the transmission fluid for about 15-20 minutes. Watch your temperature though. The transmission fluid will help clean it all out. When you change the oil, you will see how much it did.

In GOD we trust. It's a Jesus thing.
Stryker777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.