JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Serpentine belt issue (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/serpentine-belt-issue-2312545/)

XXRAIDERXX 04-10-2014 01:08 AM

Serpentine belt issue

About 3 months ago i bought my first jeep. When I got it, the belt was squeeling horribly. The first thing i did was replace the belt. Now, three months later the belt is already showing obvious signs of wear(on the inside closest to the block). I for some reason think that it could be the crankshaft pulley because of the way the belt acts as it passes around the pully.....IDK. From the little research I've done so far, I feel like it is a pulley allignment issue or a bad crankshaft pulley. My first question is, how do I check pully allignment?

Secondly, while trying to figure all this out, I noticed that the belt does not completely cover all of the pulleys. It seems to be about a 1/4 to 1/8 too narrow(a ridge on all pulleys are showing). Is it possible I was given the wrong belt.

Please keep in mind that i have almost no experience in working on cars or trucks(maybe it shows in my writing:laugh:) but i have already learned that if I am going to own a jeep..... I'll get plenty of experience in turning wrenches.
I have already learned a lot from this forum and I greatly appreciate all of the input.

Mark05059 04-10-2014 04:08 AM

pictures help alot. Its hard to tell you what to look for if the person looking is "blind"

superj 04-10-2014 05:47 AM

to check alignment, get a straight edge and hold it on the front face of each pulley and see how it aligns to the other pulleys.

lay the straight edge on the front of the pulley and it should be very close to being on the front of the other pulleys the straight edge can touch. if more then an 1/8", i would guess you should pull the pulley off and try and shim it out to match the others

Shapes04wj 04-10-2014 01:57 PM

Mine did the same thing after i replaced the belt with the water pump and a few months later it was making a ton of noise again, it started as squealing then a bit of grinding. I found mine to be the idler pulley bearings bad you could actually see a bit of movement in the pully, I replaced the pulley and all was well... I would check the idler pulleys it was a pretty easy fix.

Mambo_Dave 04-10-2014 03:12 PM

+ 1 on the idler pulleys.

Order two of these cheap solutions: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (if you have a 4.0L - mine had two idler pulleys).

Change them out first, then see where you're at.

I put a new belt on a new-to-me 181k mile YJ, but no matter how tight I still had squealing (not total squealing, but tied to the rotation)... it was obvious after a few months that the new belt was getting wear on it.

Easy things first, I took the leap and just ordered two idler pulleys ... so glad I did. See this thread, at the bottom, for pictures and a write up: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...-part-2190753/

XXRAIDERXX 04-10-2014 04:15 PM

After some sleep and more research, I learned that the serpentine belt was put on incorrectly before I bought the jeep. When I replaced the belt, I made sure to put it back on exactly the way it came off. I even replaced the idler because it was worn badly. I replaced it with a grooved idler which was what was on it. I held onto the old belt because it really didn't look bad at all. Today, I removed the belt and put the old one back on exactly as the diagram shows on the shroud(the pattern was confirmed on the internet) the jeep seems to be running just fine. Im on my way to the parts store to get a smooth idler now.

The belt WAS running from the crankshaft to power steering back to waterpump, up and OVER grooved idler, around alternator and back to crankshaft. I am now confident that this has been my problem all along. I'll let ya know how it all turns out.

Im kinda in shock as to why this happened but it just goes to show that you never know what you'll get something used.....

superj 04-10-2014 05:39 PM

Glad it was something easy

YJ4LIFE 04-10-2014 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XXRAIDERXX (Post 22030489)
After some sleep and more research, I learned that the serpentine belt was put on incorrectly before I bought the jeep. When I replaced the belt, I made sure to put it back on exactly the way it came off. I even replaced the idler because it was worn badly. I replaced it with a grooved idler which was what was on it. I held onto the old belt because it really didn't look bad at all. Today, I removed the belt and put the old one back on exactly as the diagram shows on the shroud(the pattern was confirmed on the internet) the jeep seems to be running just fine. Im on my way to the parts store to get a smooth idler now.

The belt WAS running from the crankshaft to power steering back to waterpump, up and OVER grooved idler, around alternator and back to crankshaft. I am now confident that this has been my problem all along. I'll let ya know how it all turns out.

Im kinda in shock as to why this happened but it just goes to show that you never know what you'll get something used.....

I had an autopart guy try to sell me a smooth idler pully (aka AC delete pulley). I said: "there's no way that's the right pully". I ended up replacing the bearings and keeping my stock pully.

XJ93 04-11-2014 12:40 PM

I removed both idlers and the a/c from my Jeep and just run the non a/c belt. Been that way for over a year now without any issues.

superj 04-11-2014 03:25 PM

We kind of need ac here in south Texas. I need to fix the hose on mine before the heat really gets here. Been nice, only 80s so far bit summer is almost here and then it's high 90s to low 100s and 95% humidity till thanksgiving

The time now is 11:22 AM.