Serpentine Belt Adjustment - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Serpentine Belt Adjustment

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-11-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
Agent 000
Secret Agent Man

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Serpentine Belt Adjustment

The serpentine belt on my '94 is squeeling pretty bad, and I'm having a problem getting it to adjust. Mine is the 2.5L with AC added, so the adjuster is under the PS Pump. I've loosened the Pivot Bolt and the Adjustment Bolt, but the Adjustment Screw does nothing when screwed in or out. Am I missing a step, or doing something wrong here? Even with the Pivot/Adjustments Bolts loosened, the PS Pump does not move at all.

Also, did notice that the Adjustment Bolt Collar is broken (I'll pick or order a new one at work tomorrow). The pump does not move, even with this part missing, and the Adjustment Screw removed.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Chili Pepper Red 1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic
Agent 000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I had to loosen the bolt in the center of the adjuster idler then turn the adjusting rod to tighten the belt... once done, besure to tighten the bold in the center of the idler wheel that you loosened.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

There is a bolt hidden on the fire wall side that needs to be loosened. It is a pain to find, you will see it from under your YJ.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
RIjon
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Do yourself a favor, and take the entire bracket/adjustment mechanism apart. Clean lube, and reassemble.

Then, it might actually work.

2008 Toyota Tundra RCSB Supercharged
1998 Cherokee Classic ..... work in progress
RIjon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Mine has 2 bolts on the backside that get loosened, 1 on the top pivot and the 1 under the pulley that locks the adjustment bolt.
Unread 04-11-2010, 04:04 PM   #6
Agent 000
Secret Agent Man

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I see the bolts you folks are refering to on the backside (why can't Hayne's mention these in it's adjustment proceedures). I'll mess with this more on my next day off, have to replace the broken Adjustment Bolt Collar first. I'll also be cleaning the whole assembly, and putting some anti-seize on it as well.

Chili Pepper Red 1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic
Agent 000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.