serpentine belt - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > serpentine belt

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-26-2009, 03:53 PM   #16
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenerob View Post
I think that I found the tensioner bolt but when I loosen it it does nothing.

Rob--if all you did was to loosen off the tensioner bolt, of course nothing will move. The PS pump is still locked in place which is the pivot, and also the lock bolt on the tensioner mechanism is locked down so the slide won't move.

So......step one, loosen the lock bolt as shown in photo #1 shown in post # 8 above, then loosen all the bolts you can find holding the PS pump to its mounting bracket. This will allow the PS pump to pivot some on its pivot point. At that point you can back out your tensioner bolt and this will allow you to slip on the new Serp belt. Then follow the instructions at the very bottom of that same post # 8 above and you'll be able to go have a beer.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2009, 08:07 AM   #17
wbradburn
1991 YJ Wrangler 

This may be a dumb question, but how do I "remove the air box completely". I have a '91 4.0L and need to replace the belt. All of the other information is helpful.
wbradburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2009, 08:36 AM   #18
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradburn View Post
This may be a dumb question, but how do I "remove the air box completely". I have a '91 4.0L and need to replace the belt. All of the other information is helpful.
You don't need to remove the airbox completely, people ofetn do that, but it's a waste of time IMO.

Look at all of the attachment points for the PS pump. All these bolts must be slightly loosened & then when the adjuster bolt is loosened the pump will pivot.

It's a bit of a pain to get to all the bolts, but just take your time & don't get frustrated.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2009, 10:02 AM   #19
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Glad I read through this whole thing, I almost tried to answer the OP again.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2009, 09:00 PM   #20
wbradburn
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the feedback! This helped and I was able to change the belt and go for a ride without the chirping sound.
wbradburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 10:03 AM   #21
ronniez
1995 YJ Wrangler 

hi there i noticed you have a 2.5 yj that uses a serpentine belt. you too have the ps conversion done as do i. i however seem to have 2 idler pulleys while you only have 1. for some odd reason the bracket the goes behind the power steering pump that has the pivot grooves in it to adjust the pump etc does not line up with the wholes on my manifold. that being said the bracket was not used and my pump was bolted and mounted directly to the manifold without using that bracket. all is good and working but it seems the belt is always a bit too tight running that set up and using my additional idler pulley located right beneath the pump. it looks like i need an extra inch of play for it to be just right and i am wondering if i can just bypass that idler pulley under my pump and route the belt the way you have it only using the 1 idler pulley located above and to the right of the alternator. what are your thoughts? pros vs cons? every routing diagram i see for mine and yours with ps and no ac shows to route the belt with the 2 idlers and i see you are only using 1 please advise i can send you a pic of mine if it makes matters easier it just seems like not using that pulley may help my cause
ronniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 10:31 AM   #22
ronniez
1995 YJ Wrangler 

some say with the two idler pulley setup i have to adjust the tension of the belt via the idler pulley located beneath the pump (the idler you are not using) yet we both have 2.5 no a/c
Unread 02-06-2014, 10:32 AM   #23
ronniez
1995 YJ Wrangler 

both caoboy and mr.b have the exact same set up using 1 idler pulley and i along with one other guy i found on another site have the 2 pulley set up
Unread 02-06-2014, 11:00 AM   #24
ronniez
1995 YJ Wrangler 

this is my set up
my-actual-set-up.jpg  
Unread 02-06-2014, 12:07 PM   #25
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

That 2nd idler pulley is for an engine with air conditioning.

I added an oba, which is basically an air conditioning unit that pumps compressed air instead of cold air, to an engine that came without air conditioning.
So, I had to go from a 1 pulley system to a 2 pulley.
The reason for the 2nd pulley is contact on the alternator with the belt. If I went without the 2nd pulley, I would only have like 25% of the alternator covered with a belt. Th at would squeak.
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 12:51 PM   #26
ronniez
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The idler i am referring to is the one below the ps pump
Unread 02-06-2014, 12:53 PM   #27
ronniez
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Mine does not have ac and belt routing diagrams show 2 with or without ac

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.