serpentine belt - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > serpentine belt

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-30-2008, 05:17 PM   #1
twokids
1983 CJ7 

serpentine belt

How do you replace the belt?
I thought 1 of the pullies would be spring loaded.

twokids is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2008, 05:30 PM   #2
The Rat
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Under the PS pump is a tensioner bolt. All you gotta do is loosen that up and it loosens the belt.

Mine was seized so I had to remove the PS pump completely...but it was ok because my PS pump was shot as well.
Unread 08-30-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

All the belt adjustment bolts are located on the power steering pump assembly. The very top bolt must be loosened, then on the back of the assembly, you'll see two bolts sitting in holes that are slotted - both of these need to be loosened. Now on the front again, look just below the steering pump pulley and you'll see (or feel) a bolt there, this also must be loosened. Finally, on the side, at the bottom of the assembly, you'll see a bolt head - this is the adjustment bolt, and is about 3 or 4 inches long. Have a look at this and see if the threads are clean and spray it with a bunch of penetrating oil - now you're ready to start turning. All the bolts I described have a 1/2" head and I use a 1/2" wrench or gear wrench for all but the adjustment bolt, and for that I use a 13 mm socket, just to give me a bit of slop to make it easier to put the socket onto a rusted bolt head. Turn the adjustment bolt counter clockwise to loosen, but watch how hard it is to turn, you may need to go back and forth a few times to get past any accumulated rust, otherwise you're likely to break the bolt - add oil as you turn it back and forth a few times.

You need to remove the air box completely to get to the adjustment bolt and the bottom bolt on the front (this bottom bolt is a lock bolt for the adjuster.

When you're done, don't forget to tighten ALL the bolts again, otherwise the pump can get pulled askew.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2008, 10:15 PM   #4
93TRJeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i'm planning to do this in the morning as i know its goina be a B****

Chris
93TRJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2008, 10:25 PM   #5
No_Return
2008 JK Wrangler 

Before you dive in... not all YJ Jeeps have the adjustment in the P/S pump.

If you have A/C your belt tensioner may be on the Alternator instead of the P/S pump.
Unread 04-25-2009, 12:20 PM   #6
jetchey321
1994 YJ Wrangler 

anyone have any pictures of this.....mines a '94 no A/C 2.5
jetchey321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2009, 02:06 PM   #7
Shags78
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just replaced my belt before I hit some trails this past Tuesday and used a Gatorback belt. The instructions above by Alfons are very good. I actually just unbolted my PS pump and went that route because I didn't even see the adjustment bolt. All said it took me around 10-15 minutes to do this. One of the easier jobs on a Jeep like changing fluids and plugs. I know I have a belt diagram on my 95 with AC right under the hood on the fan shroud. I don't know if a 94's belt routing is any different but I'll post a pic regardless.
file0004-medium-.jpg  
Shags78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Several photos. The various fasteners are difficult to get a clear shot of. This is a shot from the front, directly above the PS pulley and the belt, looking down. You can see the tensioner bolt threads horizontally across the middle of the photo. The bolt head you see must be loosened to allow the "slide" on the tensioner bolt to move.

Here is a shot of the tensioner from under the Jeep, looking up and forwards. The black hose to left is the low pressure line from the PS pump, you can see the lower part of the curve of the PS pump pulley in front of the tensioner bolt.

This next photo is a closeup of the tensioner bolt threads, and the slide thingey, you can see just a wee bit of the lockbolt head above, "behind," and to the left of the slide as this photo is taken from under the Jeep looking forwards just as in the last photo in this reply sequence.

Finally, some specs on the tensioner bolt itself.

I seem to recall that you also have to loosen the bolts holding in the PS pump to allow the pivoting movement that allows either loosening or tightening to take place. Once new belt is on, you can make them all finger tight, then tighten the tensioner bolt to the desired tension, tighten down the lock bolt, then final torque the other bolts holding your PS pump to its mounting points.

Give me a few moments while I go back outside and put it all back together......

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2009, 03:32 PM   #9
jetchey321
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help! Gonna try and tackle that job tomorrow!
jetchey321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2009, 05:22 PM   #10
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twokids View Post
How do you replace the belt?
I thought 1 of the pullies would be spring loaded.
It would help if you list which engine you're refering to. The serp on the 4.2 is both adjusted and routed different than the 4.0.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2009, 09:48 PM   #11
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

timatoe--we're currently answering the question posed by jetchey321 25 April 09 who has a 94 with a 4.0 The OP of this thread posted up the original question in Aug '08, and it was "thread resurrected." Thanks for chipping in though.....I don't have a clue about things on the 4.2 yet.

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Unread 04-26-2009, 10:39 AM   #12
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
timatoe--we're currently answering the question posed by jetchey321 25 April 09 who has a 94 with a 4.0 The OP of this thread posted up the original question in Aug '08, and it was "thread resurrected." Thanks for chipping in though.....I don't have a clue about things on the 4.2 yet.
I usually catch the old thread thing and didn't even see the second question......
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2009, 11:19 AM   #13
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
I usually catch the old thread thing and didn't even see the second question......

It got me also Tim. I was wondering why a guy with a CJ7 was asking the question. Actually jetchey321 has a 2.5L which is adjusted from the power steering pump.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2009, 12:14 PM   #14
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

So Jetchey321--you've got the cheering section rooting for you on this job even if we are outta synch. Tell us how it all turns out for you.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 04-26-2009, 03:06 PM   #15
greenerob
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
It got me also Tim. I was wondering why a guy with a CJ7 was asking the question. Actually jetchey321 has a 2.5L which is adjusted from the power steering pump.

Sorry to hijack this a bit, but I have the same motor and I need to change my belt. I think that I found the tensioner bolt but when I loosen it it does nothing.

Does anyone have pictures that aren't so close up as the ones a couple of posts ago?

Rob

1995 Jeep Wrangler Rio Grande 4in RC Lift 33" Tires with 73,000 miles. Auto Trans
greenerob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.