Serious need of help here - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Serious need of help here

NEW Billet Aluminum Hood Catches Jeep JK Wrangler Black anEven Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 04-06-2015, 04:03 PM   #1
duff13
1988 YJ Wrangler 

MPFI Swap....No Jeep isn't Starting

Well where do I start. Did a MPFI swap on my 88 YJ. Got the wiring all done up and installed. Now on to the problems:

1. When key is turned to start the jeep nothing happens. No power to starter.
-Replaced starter relay. Nothing still
-Removed relay and jumped the 87-30 pin. Engined turned over didn't start though.

2. Tried to run CEL sequence. Black/pink wire to ground on light, power to 12v switch on fuse panel behind dash. CEL starts to flash before the CEL sequence is even started.
-Replaced ECM with new to me ECM. Still nothing on startup. CEL light still flashes the same as the old one.

I'm stuck here and don't know what to do. I had CEVANS do my harness (since he lives by me) so I know he didn't mess it up. He is currently out of tow and can't assist. So I'm coming here.

Anybody have any other troubleshooting tips? Thanks.

duff13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2015, 07:17 PM   #2
duff13
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Bump for some help.
Unread 04-06-2015, 08:48 PM   #3
Drednot
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

What is the source of your swap components? You still have the 4.2L?
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2015, 09:03 PM   #4
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

you need a more descriptive thread title to attract more attention from people that know about MPFI upgrades... Are you able to edit the title by pressing the edit button on your original post?
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2015, 08:24 AM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The wiring is apparent the issue. You need to fill in a lot more detail. Harness used and year, did you swap the dash and under hood and dash, engine used, did you do the 5 to fire? You can get help here but need some answer's to get you there. Cevan is awesome. You might want to wait for him to get back because I don't like second guessing someone elses work when I know they are pretty competent.

That being said:
Starter
The ignition switch should have a green wire for the starter that goes to a6 on the bulkhead. It needs to connect to the yellow wire on the 10 pin connector next to the brake switch. You can use your meter to check power
\ continuity to pin 86 on the starter relay. Remember pin 86 is only hot when turn the key to start.

The engine controller power needs to be checked. Use this and see if the power is correct:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/9...lained-490788/
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2015, 08:30 AM   #6
duff13
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drednot View Post
What is the source of your swap components? You still have the 4.2L?
I have the 88 4.2 block with 4.0 7120 head, 94 intake and throttle body with Dodge Neon Injectors, 94 engine wiring harness with ECM and PDC, and 94 electric fuel pump.

I have power to fuel pump, there is something not letting it start and I'm trying to find the answer with the CEL but it doesn't give me clear codes and starts to blink once key is turned to the ON position.

I moved my grounds, new Die Hard P-5 battery, got 12v at PDC, have power at starter relay, but nothing going to starter when key is turned. Just doesn't make sense to me at this point.

The jeep ran prior to the swap, so it can't be the ignition switch (or could it?)

Also new parts as follows:

New Dizzy Cap, rotor, wires, and plugs gaped to .35.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike134 View Post
you need a more descriptive thread title to attract more attention from people that know about MPFI upgrades... Are you able to edit the title by pressing the edit button on your original post?
Guess I can't fix it.
Unread 04-07-2015, 10:43 AM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The starter I posted. It is difficult for me to say with what cevan has done to this point. Is he planning on coming back to help? The starter issue I pointed out. A6 on the bulkhead from the dash side of the bulkhead goes to the starter. The yellow wire in the 10 pin connector I mentioned near the brake switch is the wire coming from the starter. Check the wiring for both and see how he has it set up. If the wiring has not been done then you just need to cut green and yellow after you make sure they are the right ones and connect them under the dash. That should take care of the starter issue.

The ecu is telling you something is wrong if it is flashing. You need to do the power checks exactly how it is listed in the link. It walks you through checking power and ground on the ecu. I don't know how you can have flashing before you start switching the key. Please run the test I posted.

Is Cevan planning on helping you finish or are you on your own?

Unread 04-07-2015, 05:39 PM   #8
duff13
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
The starter I posted. It is difficult for me to say with what cevan has done to this point. Is he planning on coming back to help? The starter issue I pointed out. A6 on the bulkhead from the dash side of the bulkhead goes to the starter. The yellow wire in the 10 pin connector I mentioned near the brake switch is the wire coming from the starter. Check the wiring for both and see how he has it set up. If the wiring has not been done then you just need to cut green and yellow after you make sure they are the right ones and connect them under the dash. That should take care of the starter issue.

The ecu is telling you something is wrong if it is flashing. You need to do the power checks exactly how it is listed in the link. It walks you through checking power and ground on the ecu. I don't know how you can have flashing before you start switching the key. Please run the test I posted.

Is Cevan planning on helping you finish or are you on your own?

Did this test and I got power to ECM. Further checking a few things.
Unread 04-07-2015, 07:13 PM   #9
duff13
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ok so here is where I'm at:

Que- I did that test as the instructions and I had power and proper ground through out the steps. So I got power where I need it. So this is what happened next.

Tested all the fuses in the PDC. Both 60A Aux Power fuses where blown. This was caused during the first attempt to get the terminals on. (I assume because....) so I replaced the fuses and I had a arc again same as the first time attempting this last week.

Removed negative cable and put the fuses in and attempted to connect the neg bat cable again. Well it blue the aux pwr 2 fuse. The PDC is grounded but something isn't right In that area. Once the aux fuses are fixed the jeep should start.
Unread 04-07-2015, 08:32 PM   #10
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You have a dead short on a power feed. Do you need help finding it?
Unread 04-08-2015, 06:18 AM   #11
duff13
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You have a dead short on a power feed. Do you need help finding it?
Yeah that's what I figured. I'm gonna look through the 4.0 harness tonight and try to find it. Don't really know what I'm looking for so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Unread 04-08-2015, 06:28 AM   #12
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

First you need to pull all the fuses and relays in your pdc. Replace one of the large fuses and one by one put back in each of the fuses until the fuse blows. That will tell you what circuit is shorted. Post back which one is the culprit.
Unread 04-08-2015, 06:36 AM   #13
duff13
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ok well I'm probably gonna skip the gym at lunch today and run home and do this. I will post back once I find out.
Unread 04-08-2015, 09:07 AM   #14
duff13
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
First you need to pull all the fuses and relays in your pdc. Replace one of the large fuses and one by one put back in each of the fuses until the fuse blows. That will tell you what circuit is shorted. Post back which one is the culprit.
OK so did as you stated. All fuses went back in fine until I got to the Aux Pwr 1 60A. Went to put the fuse in and the ends arced and melted the tips of the fuse. Attempted to put the Aux Pwr 2 60A and it did the same thing as Aux Pwr 1. So the culprit is the Aux Pw.
Unread 04-08-2015, 09:22 AM   #15
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You needed to pull all the other fuses and put the aux fuses in. Then reinstall all the other fuses one by one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.