A Series of Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > A Series of Questions

Save big with ExtremeTerrain.com's Top Spring Mods Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCOR

Unread 03-17-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
DuckWarrior
1989 YJ Wrangler 

A Series of Questions

As with all things there's always a starting point. For me and Jeeps it was last Oct when I got my YJ. That meant I had a gajillion questions... 80% were answered by this forum... Thank you JF!!

I didnt want to flood the forums with all my questions so I'm hoping you guys are ok with a series in one.

I did try to find them in searches but m may have not found my specifics I was looking for

Thank you for reading beyond my disclaimer

Here they are in no specific order:

1/2 DOORS: Was there a specific year/model YJ that came with 1/2 doors or model that is compatable with YJs that I should be looking for?

20 GAL TANK: If I read right, 91+ YJs came with a 20 gal tank. Is there a definite way to tell from the outside and did another year/model have a compatible 20 gal tank... Is the 15 gal skid plate the same as the 20 gal skid plate?

REAR SEAT: There's lots of information about front seat swaps but I did not find out about the rear seat. Ive seen some with a head rest like the JK. Does anyone know if there are any with head rests that will fit an 89 YJ? Curiosity sake

FRONT SEATS: My YJ came with aftermarket front seats... that need to be reupholstered or a cover... well I bought a set of neoprene covers before I knew they were aftermarket... I cant seem to find any identifiers. Anyone know of what to look for? If there is any.

SNORKEL: I running a weber carb. Ive found many snorkel writeups. Questions: Why are most only injection based? ie why not carb? Yes I will be taking it swimming eventually.

NUTTER BYPASS: This one may need it's own thread...but here it is anyway: I have the nutter bypass. Essentially I take it the computer is a nice paperweight now. What at this point is the computer running? Second question: ooh I just know this one needs it's own thread I dont think this is a quick question. If the mods think I should split this I understand...so: again second part: What in the engine bay, electrical and vacuum can I pull out now that this is done. It's a big question I know. (off road use only )

GEARING: I will be swapping in a 8.8 in the rear with 4.10s. To swap out the front I will need to find or buy new gear set. If I was to find one in a junk yard, is this a good idea? I'm more looking for advice in finding a front gear set.

4.0 HEAD SWAP: Generically speaking, what's this going to do for me? What's the gain? Power, mileage? Any idea what the Head CCs are for each 4.2 vs 4.0? If I go down in CCs theres more compression. any idea what the output compression will be? Have to run higher octane? Anyone with experience?

That's probably enough for now. Thank you all for any help!!

Unread 03-17-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

1/2 doors were offered as a factory option depending on the top combo you got. Wrangler bodies are pretty rare birds in the junkyards so your best bit is going to be aftermarket or classifieds.

20 gallon tank. The YJ actually had the same size tank thru all years, some had a restrict or installed which lowered the capacity to 15 gallons. Do a search. There are several threads on this mod and how to do it.

Rear seat. YJ rear seats are 36"s wide. Not sure about the TJ and jk seats. Again, aftermarket seats are available.

Front seats. If you can't find a tag on them somewhere with info best bet is to post a few pictures. Maybe someone can help identify them.

Snorkel. The reason you don't generally see carb applications for these is because the carb won't seal up like a throttle body will when installing a snorkel. You could probably work out a way to modify a FI snorkel to work with a carb, but it likely won't offer full protection like it does for a FI rig.

Nutter, can't help you here. But again, it's been covered many times. Search.

Gearing. You can use junkyard gears, but make sure to check them over carefully and make sure they are in good shape. Also, for the Dana 30 you will need to grab the correct carrier with the gear set as Dana axles use a carrier break. 4.10 gears won't fit the carrier in your stock axle. May be easier to try and find a complete Dana 30 from a 4 cylinder YJ and just swap the whole thing.

4.0 head swap, search
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2014, 01:51 PM   #3
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

FWIW my 1989 has a steel gas tank that is 15 gallons (although I have run out of gas and only been able to put 14-1/2 gallons in...) My understanding is that all steel gas tanks are 15 gallon tanks...
Unread 03-17-2014, 02:06 PM   #4
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

the skid plates on the 15 and 20 gal tank are not interchangeable.
the 4.0 head swap does increase compression slightly due less cc's in the head. 258 62cc 4.0 57cc
heres a thread on the nutter.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/po...moval-1094891/

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2014, 02:31 PM   #5
rocketboy

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
FWIW my 1989 has a steel gas tank that is 15 gallons (although I have run out of gas and only been able to put 14-1/2 gallons in...) My understanding is that all steel gas tanks are 15 gallon tanks...
+1

My '89 has a steel 15 gallon tank as well. It's not a tank that can be modded to 20 gallons.
rocketboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2014, 03:48 PM   #6
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
GEARING: I will be swapping in a 8.8 in the rear with 4.10s. To swap out the front I will need to find or buy new gear set. If I was to find one in a junk yard, is this a good idea? I'm more looking for advice in finding a front gear set.
Find a 4cyl yj that is a 5 speed and it will have stock 4.10. easier to swap the whole thing out than regear. auto 4cyl (94-95) had 3.73, the unicorn if you will
The_Goob is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2014, 07:49 PM   #7
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

my '89 was plastic 20 gal. also had the later ax-15 tranny and serp belts. no ac.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.