To sell or not to sell? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > To sell or not to sell?

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 10-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

To sell or not to sell?

I'm getting really tired of my back hurting any time I drive my YJ anywhere out of town, and not having any power on the highway is getting old too. I may be getting a job that requires me to drive From Colorado to North Dakota and back every month. I would also have to bring enough gear to live up there for 2 weeks and a passenger with the same amount of gear.

Before this job opportunity came up I was serriously debating taking the motor out of an old suburban that my parents have and doing a carbed 350 swap, but before I do that I'm trying to be honest with myself and see if all of that trouble is worth it.

Option 1: would be to replace my 4" RC lift with an OME setup and some 3/4" shackles and maybe a 1" BL to get a better ride and then do the 350 swap. That should give me more than enough power, and the OME springs should give it a better ride.

Just replacing my RC springs with OME would set me back $400, and close to that for better riding shocks. Then add in some shackles and maybe a BL and I'm already looking at a grand before I even get to the motor swap.

And even though I already have the 350 I'd need to find a tranny and T-case. So for that whole swap I'm still looking at at least close to another grand I'm sure. But I'd have one hell of an off road rig.

Option 2: would be to sell the YJ and buy a small truck (S10, Tacoma, etc...) that I could still fit on the trails that I do and start a build with something that already has enough power to run on the highway all day and rides much better as well. The trucks that I'm looking at are fuel injected as well, and if I did that 350 swap it would be a carbed swap.

I know I'm asking the YJ croud here, but I'm really torn on this one since I never thoguht I'd sell this YJ. Should I drop $2000 on the YJ to get it riding better and give her some more power, or should I just sell the YJ and buy something that already has more power and build it up then buy another Jeep in the future once finances allow for 2 vehicles.

It looks like YJ's around here in similar condition to mine are going for $4500-$6000. The trucks that I'm looking at are in the $5000 range.

There is a 4X4 S10 extended cab with the 4.3 and only 85,000 miles that I could buy and still have enough money to lift it and do tires if I got blue book for my YJ, and around here I have yet to see a YJ go for less than the blue book value.

There is also a Tacoma TRD with the rear locker and small factory lift and bilstein shocks that I could get for $6000.

I would hate to sell the YJ, especially after all the work I've put into it, but I need something that I can take on a roadtrip 1/2 way across the country every 2 weeks. What do you guys think?

And just so you can see what we're talking about here's a shot of the YJ.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
Virjeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If it were me, I'd sell the jeep and buy the Taco. You've got an awesome jeep, but you start running up and down the hiway for hours at a time, that awesome jeep is flat going to tire you out. You are'nt ever going to get the gas mileage you need for those kind of miles either. IMHO, Circumstances pretty much make it a no brainer, Go for the truck. I had an older Taco and it would go anywhere I dared to take it, So, as much as we will miss you on the old Forum, It would be selfish to counsel you any other way. And besides, it won't be long before you buy some old heep and start all over again! Best of luck on whatever you decide.
Virjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 02:45 PM   #3
schwebel
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Why not keep the YJ and buy a gas sipping beater for the road trips. For the $2000 you might spend on the YJ, I'm sure you'd be able to find something that would fit the bill.
schwebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

TRD for sure.
But like above you will end up buying another Jeep.
Try to keep the Jeep and buy the Taco with TDR maybe go in dept for a nice TRD Off-Road.

[I]Errrrrrr[/I], Will complain else where - &y
Andywear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwebel View Post
Why not keep the YJ and buy a gas sipping beater for the road trips. For the $2000 you might spend on the YJ, I'm sure you'd be able to find something that would fit the bill.
The job would pretty much require me to have something that does OK off road. I'd be driving through a foot or more of snow and mud puddles over a foot deep to get to work some days. I guess when I really think about it it does make sence to sell the YJ. I just never really looked at it all that well until I sat down and typed it out here because selling the YJ was never even a thought in my mind before.

My build thread...
Unread 10-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #6
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andywear View Post
But like above you will end up buying another Jeep.
Oh yeah. The Jeep bug runs deep.

My build thread...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.