To sell or Keep! Trying to figure out what to do. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > To sell or Keep! Trying to figure out what to do.

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 09-15-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
dougbrown
1998 TJ Wrangler 

To sell or Keep! Trying to figure out what to do.

Ok I have a 89 Wrangler sport, I6, 5sp, 168,000 with a 4" rough country Lift on 33"s. I do love my jeep. I like to curse around in it, But I'm not sure I want to keep putting more and more money into something that this old.

I have some problems with it right now that have me hung up on keeping it or selling it. I do really like my friends tj lifted 5 3/4" on 35s! It Nice.

So my problem and reason why I'm thinking of selling and Going to a Tj are;

I have the stock trans that keeps getting stuck in 3rd gear. Shift will be in nuteral and the trans in 3rd. I don't think it a Ax15 and 1st and 2nd is really loose and hard to get into some times. Getting back into First after being stoped at lights can really suck.

Next is the gears and axles. I have the stock 3.07 gear and with the 33"s I can't use 4th or 5th and can't get up to or stay above 50mph. I wanted to do a Ford 8.8 and 4.10 front. Because of this I don't use the highway. I love to drive it but just in my little town sucks. I need to use the highways to get to the woods.

Then there the Power steering box that is loose and starting to leak. I have never had luck rebuilding them. I was gonna do the durango up grade to it. What I don't like about the jeep is it just seems like you move the wheel and little and it all over the road. I'm also use to driving Cdl truck and my F250.

The Engine runs great most days but has it days when it sputters and bogs. I have yet to figure out why. Thinking it maybe the weber carb and not being nutter but it not all the time. And after a while it goes away.

It going to need a paint job as it like 3 different colors black for the p/o.

The wireing under the hood it a little bit of a mess from the p/o to. Thank god I have not had to mess with that!

Soft top needs a new Frame.

The p/o owner once again, didn't have the heater hose going to the heater core, There just loped. My guess it leaks and I will be replacing that next week.

Beside those problems it a good jeep. I just need to figure out if I want to put a lot of more money into it. I already have $3,600 to $4,000 In to it.Or Just sell it and find my self a good tj that has less mile and not beat on. My jeep was Lifted, unlifted, then I relifted. I don't pick up on the little lift signs till I started and stuff like Break line drop was in, trans case drop was in. ect!

Also I'm starting school next week and it a 40+ mile drive round trip a night. 4 nights a week till Jan. With my diesel F250 3.75 sucks! I would much rather pay 3.39 a gallon. I just don't trust the jeep to get me there and back.

So if you where in my shoes what would u do. I love my jeep but also love the Tj's.

dougbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #2
jeepinvader
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well if I were you, I'd have to bite the bullet and go with the TJ.
Unread 09-15-2011, 07:41 PM   #3
dougbrown
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have a nice tj picked out for 4850 too!
Unread 09-15-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

As much as I hate to say this, if you have the money buy the TJ. I have a YJ and yes it's a money pit. It's 24 years old and I continue to fix it on an ongoing basis. In my case I love my jeep and will spend time and money. If you want reliability and fuel economy make the change.
Flajeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Myself, I'm already in deeper than what my YJ could be sold for. I plan on sticking with the one I have and keep on making it newer, one part at a time. It was reliable for a little more than a year after I bought it, then stuff started breaking left and right. One I finish the current work on it, it'll run fine for a while, until the next aging part decides that it needs to be replaced. Eventually it'll be a new vehicle again.

If you aren't particularly attached to your YJ, don't want to spend the time/money fixing it up, and you want a newer, more reliable vehicle then I'd go with a TJ.

You do realize though, that you'd still be buying a money pit. Right?
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:49 AM   #6
dougbrown
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonRubicon View Post
Myself, I'm already in deeper than what my YJ could be sold for. I plan on sticking with the one I have and keep on making it newer, one part at a time. It was reliable for a little more than a year after I bought it, then stuff started breaking left and right. One I finish the current work on it, it'll run fine for a while, until the next aging part decides that it needs to be replaced. Eventually it'll be a new vehicle again.

If you aren't particularly attached to your YJ, don't want to spend the time/money fixing it up, and you want a newer, more reliable vehicle then I'd go with a TJ.

You do realize though, that you'd still be buying a money pit. Right?
Yes I do know it still and jeep and all trail riders and mud trucks are money pits, My thing is I put 2 or 3g's in this one and then something else goes. I don't want it to be a every week thing of what going to go bad this week.
Unread 09-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #7
nathanninja
1991 YJ Wrangler 

No matter which Jeep you get, you're probably going to dump money into it anyways, it's just how it seems to go. If you don't have any real attachment to the YJ, and the TJ is all put together already, it might not be a bad idea. Me, I'm too attached to my YJ to ever sell it for anything, even if gas hits $5 a gallon. It all depends on what you need the Jeep for. If you need/really want it for daily driving, and the YJ isn't worth fixing to get it to that point...well there's your answer.

On another note, I have a similar setup as you. A little newer, 91 YJ with a 4.0 and the AX15, but I have the stock 3.07s too, and I'm running 35" tires. Just the other day I hit 74 on the highway, in 4th gear. Granted I've never touched 5th and probably never will, but if I can go 74 in 4th I don't care. The engines are pretty similar in horsepower/torque, but I'm guessing you have the older tranny, which may contribute to it? Idk, no expert, something just seems off if I can hit 74 easy with bigger tires, and you can't even maintain 50. Just checking, don't take this the wrong way, but is the "50mph" you're reading from the stock speedo/speedo gear? I know my speedo reads about 7-15 mph slower than I'm really going, so I used a conversion ratio to figure out my true speed. So you could really be going 65 even though your speedometer says 50. When I go 61, I'm really going 74
nathanninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.