Seeking Jeep general info - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Seeking Jeep general info

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 08-01-2002, 10:30 AM   #1
mas.tiempo

Seeking Jeep general info

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to join this forum!!

I am new to Jeeps but not to 4x4. I have a Ford F-250 PSD with 4x4.

Just now beginning to do the homework regarding Jeeps and am clueless as to what the various models are. IE: TJ, CJ and YJ.

Here is a quick senario that may narrow down what I would like in a Jeep.

Retiring in Loreto, Baja later this year and I want to obtain a Jeep for use there. It would be towed by the big truck to Loreto.

I am hoping the Jeep will be able to pull and launch/retreive a boat in the 5000lb + range, 7000lb with trailer. The "pull" will be only for a few blocks from my place to the ramp. I am hoping that with the low range, this is doable? This way I won't have to fire up the big diesel truck for the launch use.
I would also like it to run around town and to explore the local beaches and mountains. A class IV hitch would need to be installed....??...with the short distance to be pulled, is that necessary?

My thinking is a 6 cyl, manual trans model.
A soft top/bikini top would be ideal.
No frills are required.

What model year did the fuel injection become available?
What year did Chrysler assume the Jeep from AMC?

Out west, (San Diego, CA) the AutoTrader indicates a late 80ties to early 90ties model is being offered for between $4000k and $6000K..with some variables of course.
This seems to be in my price area and what I had in mind.

For this year model and price, is a Jeep going to be able to do what I have indicated above or come close?

Thank you,
DC

mas.tiempo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2002, 02:37 PM   #2
jeeptuff

5000+ lbs is heavy, what is the tongue weight??? If I remember correctly there is a 1000 LBS. tongue weight max, please don't quote me on that but I think that is what the manual says..
Unread 08-01-2002, 04:39 PM   #3
mas.tiempo

Tongue weights usually run, or should run about 10% of the total.

No long distances would be involved. Maybe 2 blocks is all.

Do any experts think that a Jeep could support, say <750# for this short distance?

I am aware of the braking constraints involved also.

Thank you
Unread 08-01-2002, 08:09 PM   #4
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

In general, the rule of thumb is that the vehicle towing a trailer must not weigh less than the trailer it is towing.

That said, the Jeep weighs in around the 3000lb mark. I do not believe that Class4 hitches are even available for the YJ. Even if you used 4-low for towing, you would not be able to use it far, unless it was on dirt road only.

What might be a better choice for a tow vehicle would be the CJ-8 (manufactured till 1986) that has the optional V8 AMC 304ci engine. It has all the "goodies" that a YJ has .. the ability to go topless and such, but it does have a longer wheelbase which would allow for heavier towing.

The V8 engine, while not a huge powerhouse, could be swapped quickly for an AMC 360ci engine, or even go to the Dodge Ram 360 block (basically the same, only with fuel injection).

I realize that anything could be done (even towing a 7,000lb trailer behind a YJ) .. but would you want to take the chance at harming your tow-vehicle (or trailer or pedestrian or yourself) in a mishap and have the police charge you with dangerous towing / driving?
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2002, 07:04 AM   #5
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You already have a tow vehicle, don't make the Jeep something it is not. Yesterday I just saw a YJ towing a boat and just shook my head. I believe the max hitch you can get for a YJ is a class II.

Last edited by RCHavok797; 08-02-2002 at 09:12 AM..
RCHavok797 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2002, 07:10 AM   #6
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

CJ: 1986 and earlier Jeeps, for example, CJ-7, CJ-5, CJ-8(Scrambler)
YJ: 1987 to 1995 distinguished by its rectangular headlights
TJ: 1997 to present and has round headlights like the CJs
YJ and TJ are all called Wranglers but I think you are probably aware of that. There is no 1996 model year Wrangler.
Unread 08-02-2002, 08:51 AM   #7
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by RCHavok797
I believ the max hitch you can get for a YJ is a class II.
I have a class 3 hitch on my Jeep right now (the rock-crawler) .. but I use it more as a tug-point or bike-rack, or ski-rack than a hitch .. I will be getting a tent trailer to drag behind my Jeep that is light enough to be towed by a Harley motorbike

Unread 08-02-2002, 02:09 PM   #8
mas.tiempo

Thanks RC797......

I certainly don't want the Jeep to do anything that would put me or anyone else in an unsafe position.

But for towing the boat two (2) blocks?.....This will NOT be an over the road tow vehicle by any means. Got the big diesel for that chore.

A buddies old Willys 4 banger would tow a 3000# boat to the launch ramp and yank it out just fine....??
Unread 08-02-2002, 02:18 PM   #9
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I guess the big thing is to be safe .. to me the distance is not what counts, its the fact that the vehicle would be pulling something that might be too large for it. With the short wheel base, the front wheels might not have enough traction to turn the vehicle in the direction you really want to go .. maybe putting some heavy weights (winch?) on the front to balance the weight would be in order ....

Unread 08-02-2002, 05:39 PM   #10
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Actually pulling the boat isn't the problem, trying to stop with the boat and manueuver it safely are the problems with the Wrangler as a tow vehicle. You can do whatever you want but I really don't see why you would even bother when you have a vehicle designed to tow a boat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.