Security suggestions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Security suggestions?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-07-2006, 09:00 AM   #1
Nosh686

Security suggestions?

Well its time.....I am finally bringing my Jeep down to college (from Maryland to Alabama) I cant wait I am so excited to finally have my baby! The only thing that I was thinking about was...... there are no locks on my car anywhere...... so I was woundering if anyone had any suggestions for me where I can get come locks to install or just anything that will help....one idea that I had was just to lock the so called trunk area and just keep everything in there….anything will help. Thanks a lot!

Nosh686 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2006, 09:12 AM   #2
bamato
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Start by NOT locking your doors, if people want in, they will fina way in. Also, buy a tuffy security console for 225$. Keep all your valuables in there, including your stereo. It fita a lot of stuff. And last, wire up a killswitch. You'll be set
Mud is your Friend :)

Tread Lightly
Please help keep our trails clean for future generations to enjoy outdoor recreation as well!
bamato is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2006, 09:18 AM   #3
Fixins13
1997 ZJ 

You can get a piece of sheet metal that sits on top of the fenders behind the rear seat and is a "trunk," if you lock your tailgate. If you've got a press brake or a torch and long workbench, you could make one yourself for a lot less. Do you have full steel doors? If not, no sense in locking them anyway since anyone can get into them with an exacto knife. I've bought a couple sets of steel doors and it's not terribly expensive to take the locks out to a locksmith and have them re-keys to your ignition key. The Tuffy Security console is a great item. It locks your stereo away from people who'd take it and has a good amount of space for other stuff. I made a litte adapter plate and put my CB in the space where my stereo used to be. No one is stealing CB's. Unless I'm running the hard top and full doors, I leave my Jeep unlocked. Easier to replace some junk from your car that a top. This is a trick a convertible owner taught me.
Unread 04-07-2006, 10:29 AM   #4
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

it's pretty much been covered. The Instratrunk served me well in Baltimore City, so I think it would be fine in AL. Are you running a hard or soft top?

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
n00bs bashing n00bs, it's a pitifull thing.
TellyDSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2006, 11:29 AM   #5
drexelsteve
2013 JK Wrangler 

i removed my glove box and put in a tuffy security vault. extremely high quality and that's where i keep my faceplate, cell, or wallet. No chance of gettin in there unless they go at it with a sledge, and that'll definitely set of the alarm. I've also got cheesy hoodlock and i use a long-u masterlock around the clutch and brake pedal levers as an antitheft. keep a couple burned cd's and a pack of smokes in the console, they're disposable.
Unread 04-07-2006, 11:43 AM   #6
BudmanV6

One problem with not locking the doors is that they are that much easier to steal.
1992 Wrangler Sahara, 4.0L, 5spd, RE 4.5 XD lift, Fox remote reservoir shox, 33x12.5-15 BFGoodrich All-Terrains, 15x8 black rock crawlers, JK rubicon pneumatic swaybar, JKS quick disconnect track bar, Teraflex HD SYE, Tom Woods driveshaft, Ford 8.8 w/ 4.10 gears and arb locker, D30 w/ 4.11 gears and arb locker, York 210R OBA w/ Kilby mount, Dynomax Ultra Flow SS muffler, Alterstart 165A alternator, TJ flares, and Poison Spyder rocker knockers.
BudmanV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2006, 12:08 PM   #7
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudmanV6
One problem with not locking the doors is that they are that much easier to steal.
if they want them, they'll slit your windows and unlock the door. best thing for that is to keep the hinge nut on. The nut's a PITA if you want to take your doors off though.

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
n00bs bashing n00bs, it's a pitifull thing.
TellyDSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2006, 05:10 PM   #8
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

when i was at college i left the hardtop on with full steel doors and a viper alarm system. never had a problem
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2006, 05:29 PM   #9
Flashfoto
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hidden ignition kill switch & hood lock. Keep everything else, unlocked & empty of valuables. Total cost, about $23.00. :-)
Flashfoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2006, 06:01 PM   #10
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

yea just don't keep valuables in your jeep.... that seems easy enough. take the face off the cd player.... there, nothing else is worth anything to a crook.....

if you're worried about the whole jeep getting stolen just unplug the 3 wire connector at the gas tank on the driver's side when you leave the jeep... without a fuel pump you can't drive or you coudl wire up a kill switch somewhere.... that would cost you less than $5
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2006, 07:05 PM   #11
ImRaptor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Have to be careful with not locking your doors. Some insurance companies will refuse to cover any theft that they deem as result of not having the doors locked. At least if they are locked, and your window gets slit and stuff stolen, you'll be covered on everything.

I'm going the route of a 2 way paging alarm with internal radar sensor myself.

for me.
ImRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2006, 07:35 PM   #12
72cj5er
1972 CJ5 

He didnt cover the year of his Jeep, I think he said it has no locks. I just sold a set of 89 doors and they didnt have a lock in them at all, not even a place for one. I wonder if the insurance would have a problem with that? I guess some Jeeps in the late 80s didnt have locks on the doors cause Ive seen many like the ones I had
04 LJ Unlimited Wrangler
never far from a good trail http://scott.arrington-family.us
Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional!!
72cj5er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2006, 07:39 PM   #13
Fixins13
1997 ZJ 

Most stuff in the inside of your car is NOT covered by auto insurance. Anything that's not bolted to it, typically isn't covered. In any case, I'd like to see an insurance company who can prove my doors were unlocked at the time of a theft. Most of these folks ain't exactly CSI Miami. Mostly they sit in front of computer.
Insurance Co: Were your doors locked at the time of the loss?
Me: Yes.
Insurance Co.: When the vehicle was recovered they were unlocked.
Me: Imagine that. You think maybe the bad people unlocked them while they were stealing my Jeep?
Unread 04-07-2006, 08:48 PM   #14
Taco88yj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

another question...

is there a YJ center conslule? can someone link me a part number or does the TJ one bolt in?
Taco88yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2006, 09:21 PM   #15
toates89
1989 XJ Cherokee 

is there a certain fuse that you could take out so the car wouldnt start?
toates89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.