Second set of auxiliary lights now have battery drain - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Second set of auxiliary lights now have battery drain

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 09-06-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
tombombadil
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Second set of auxiliary lights now have battery drain

Drivers of the newer larger cars must be misjudging the distance my '91 YJ is from them. I say this based on the number of times I'm cut off on the highway. So to enlighten them on just how close that object is in their side view mirror we installed a second set of auxiliary driving lights. It's worked like a charm.

Here's my dilemma.

Today during really nasty rain (100 yd visibility on the highway) the battery charge suddenly dropped to critical level and the wet alternator belt squealed into action. I shut off one set of driving lights and the CD player. The battery charge returned to normal.

I tested it later in the day just sitting in the parking lot (still raining). Heater, CD player, headlights and both sets of driving lights were on. After a few minutes the alternator kicked in. Driving home I turned on as much electronics as I could to try and reproduce the problem but failed.

Someone told me it's possible the new set of lights has exceeded the maximum capacity of the battery output (or something like that).

Should I replace the 20 year old stock alternator with a beefier one or is there some other thing I should consider? More auxiliary lights are on the drawing board (amber emergency lights).

Yours truly,

Clueless

Unread 09-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
YJteen
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think it would overload it, but im not an electical guy. I would get a free battery check at autozone or whatever. Just in case. I use a 1000 cranking amp batter on a 4cyl so its almost twice what I need. I like overkill.
You should be fine with the axle setup, just as long as you don't beat on it as hard as you would looking at a Playboy magazine, the d30 and d35 should hold up.
YJteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 11:21 PM   #3
ejeeperguy
1982 CJ7 

if your alt is going two ways to check .Put a meter on the terminals and see how much the alt charging,should be around 13 volts.if you don't have a meter take the negative terminal off the battery.I would turn the lights on if the alt is good the jeep will stay running.If it starts to crap out then time to replace it.You can then buy a larger output alt or run a duel battery system .

Check that your alt belt is not worn out too that would be where to go first.
ejeeperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 06:56 AM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Consider it time to upgrade. The stock alternator is only putting out 90 amps cold. Hot that alternator is only putting out 50-60 amps MAX. Throw in lights and extra lighting, radio, wipers, blower, battery, etc.; you are exceeding the alternators output capacity and draing the battery. Here is a link to the alternator mod:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/a...stion-1017658/
It's a really good and easy mod to do. The battery should be checked as well as doing the mod. Depending on the age of your battery and the number of times its been drained a good battery would help round out the upgrade.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 09:14 AM   #5
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The only advice I'll offer is to listen to this guy ↓↓↓↓ He KNOWS what he's talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Consider it time to upgrade. The stock alternator is only putting out 90 amps cold. Hot that alternator is only putting out 50-60 amps MAX. Throw in lights and extra lighting, radio, wipers, blower, battery, etc.; you are exceeding the alternators output capacity and draing the battery. Here is a link to the alternator mod:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/a...stion-1017658/
It's a really good and easy mod to do. The battery should be checked as well as doing the mod. Depending on the age of your battery and the number of times its been drained a good battery would help round out the upgrade.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.