Second Hand Full Doors Not Sealing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Second Hand Full Doors Not Sealing

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCustom Axle Work at CCOR

Unread 08-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
chrisinky
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Second Hand Full Doors Not Sealing

So I got myself a set of full doors, had them painted and rekeyed. After furiously modifying my striker pens I thought I had them adjusted perfectly, but the bottom of my passenger door is bowing out. It is so bad that you can see light in between the weather stripping. I've already ground out my striker pin housing so I can push it further inwards. Do you guys have any ideas on how to fix this?

image.jpg   image-1.jpg  
chrisinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
aaron580
2006 LJ Wrangler 

It looks flush at the top of the tub. Sure the door isnt warped?
aaron580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron580 View Post
It looks flush at the top of the tub. Sure the door isnt warped?
I was going to say the same thing. It looks like the door itself may be warped. It's a shame you already have it painted.

You'll need to take a straight edge or long level and run it along the face of the door to check and see if it's bowed out at the bottom. If it is, depending upon how "straight" you want your Jeep, you'll have to more than likely grind off your paint, and pound it back a bit. You'll also probably need to heat and cool potions to shrink up the stretched metal. If you are looking for a perfect panel, take it to a pro. For about $100-150 you should be able to get a straight door, unpainted. They will need the Jeep on hand to test fit as they go.

Sucks, but that's probably why they they were for sale.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Do what they do at the factory. Put your knee against the part sticking out and pull the door NOT USING the upper door section where the window seats to pull the door towards you until it fits. That could have been done prior to painting them.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
rubisean
1990 YJ Wrangler 

either a bent hinge or door, place a piece of 2x4 between the door and the striker then push the bottom of the door in. you should be able to see immediate improvement but it will take a bit of muscle to get the twist out
rubisean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
chrisinky
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the advice guys. I did a little bit of everything from pushing the striker pin even further inward, to trying to bend the doors themselves. It all seemed to work quite well. The door seals tightly now. Not perfect but pretty darn good. Thanks again!
chrisinky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bent , full doors , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.