Seat Covers or Repair Vinyl Seat - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Seat Covers or Repair Vinyl Seat

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 07-17-2006, 10:52 AM   #1
Dan Marino
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Seat Covers or Repair Vinyl Seat

The vinyl driver's seat on my 1995 is split in a few places. Does anyone know if this can be repaired and still look decent? I like the look of the original gray vinyl seats, and I'd like all my seats to match. Can I repair this myself, or do I need to take it to an auto apholstery shop?

If repairing the vinyl seat is not going to work, I'm interested in some cool seat covers. I don't want anything that is going to be baggy or floppy. Which brand of seat covers fits the snuggest and will look similar to an original seat?

Thanks for everyone's advice.

Dan Marino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2006, 12:10 PM   #2
chim
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm in the same boat with condition of the driver's seat. The plan is to get seat covers, but I'm not sure what to get. I go back and forth between looking for something waterproof (vinyl and kinda uncomfortable) and something cloth (comfortable and not waterproof).

There have been mixed opinions in posts regarding covers made of neoprene with some people saying they were quite comfy and others saying their backs and butts get sweated wet from them. I haven't read enough positive comments on any one type to make up my mind.

Regardless of which covers I go with, it seemed prudent to stabilize the existing vinyl before covering them with anything. To that end, about 50 cents worth of gray vinyl material from Walmart and some contact cement made a few "blowout patches" to close up the rips. It doesn't match and isn't real pretty, but it is better than the rips and it keeps them from deteriorating further............chim
chim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2006, 01:23 PM   #3
arbby
2005 KJ Liberty 

My brother had his rear seat redone, The guy who did it, didnt sew up the seats and just gluded it all backon. A month later his seats were all ripped up again and out $40
arbby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2006, 02:06 PM   #4
xxxflhrci

If the rip isn't too big and is in the middle of the vinyl, you can have it repaired. Some paintless dent removal places like Colors On Parade do these kinds of fixes. They come to car dealerships and do fixes on used cars all the time. The fixes can be pretty good or can be shoddy. It all depends on the size of the rip, location of the rip, and how good of work the guy does.

I bought one of these Permatex Vinyl and Leather repair kits a while back. I used it to repair a small tear on one of my boats seats. It actually worked very well. The hardest part is matching the color. You can pick them up at WalMart for about 15 bucks.

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/deta...ption.asp?9442

However, IMO, you best option is to take your seat to an upholstery shop and have the ripped panels replaced. Don't be afraid to ask. In my experience, you can get a panel or two replaced in a seat for 50-75 bucks and have a job that looks great.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2006, 05:29 PM   #5
Jacked93

JCWhitney is running an awesome deal on neoprene seat covers right now. (At least in the Jeep catalog) $150 for front and rear covers and a free Jeep cover.
Jacked93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2006, 09:17 AM   #6
Dan Marino
1994 YJ Wrangler 

How about a passenger seat?

Anyone ever try to take the cover off of a front passenger seat and using it on a driver's seat? I'm in the process of trying to identify an apholstery shop in the Baltimore/Washington area to take a look at it.

Thanks.
Dan Marino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2006, 10:13 AM   #7
mcruickshank

Don't they make an Isotoner glove that can double as a seat cover? I am sure with your relationship with Isotoner, you can get them to customize one up for you.

Sorry couldn't resist.

-cruick
mcruickshank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2006, 05:38 PM   #8
red92YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacked93
JCWhitney is running an awesome deal on neoprene seat covers right now. (At least in the Jeep catalog) $150 for front and rear covers and a free Jeep cover.
I have a set of those in my Jeep, they are nice and fit good. So far no fading but the Jeep stays in the garage when not in use and I put a trail cover on it when I park it outside.
1992 red YJ soft top 4.0 w/5 speed BF Goodrich 31x10.50 M/T tires, 1.25" shackle lift, Rancho RSX shocks, Outland Neoprene seat covers, Outland Acoustic brief bikini top, KC lights (windshield and bumper)
Sound bar and JVC HD radio.
[URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/timc/Non%20Gun%20pics/Jeepapril20071.jpg?t=1176762892"]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/timc/Non%20Gun%20pics/Jeepapril20071.jpg?t=1176762892[/URL]
red92YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2006, 10:50 AM   #9
ZIMSJEEP
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Definitely look into the Outland covers like red92yj has. I have them in mine and often get comments about how good my seats look for a 95. People seem a bit suprised when I tell them they're actually covers. The fit is great and best part of all is when they get wet, they dry off instantly with a towel.

zim
3.5" Fabtech lift, 5/8" MORE Boomerang Shackles, Brown Dog Motor Mounts, 33x12.5 Mikey Thompson Baja Claws, MT 15x8 Classic II Alloys, JKS swaybar disco's, Rancho RS 5000 stablizer, Skyjacker Hydro 7000 shocks, Warn Bumper w/ pre runner, On board air, Grant Wheel, PIAA Windshield mounted lights, Herculined Interior
ZIMSJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2006, 11:19 AM   #10
chim
1995 YJ Wrangler 

How are the JC Whitney and Outland (or any others) when it comes to comfort? Scorching in Summer, icy in Winter? I have been spoiled for several years by running vehicles with cloth seats. I was reminded how uncomfortable vinyl seats can be when I got the YJ on the road...............chim
chim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.