SeaFoam? Anybody used it on their 89 YJ? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > SeaFoam? Anybody used it on their 89 YJ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 03-31-2010, 10:39 PM   #16
jeep_maniack
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i think it is supposed to smoke to show that it is working.. i watched a video on youtube that had a guy calling someone that works at seafoam and he said that its supposed to smoke more when your engine is dirtier and not as much when it is cleaner, but i still think i needed more in my vacuum tube..

Also, i watched the one with the jeep where he put it in like you said about one full can in the tank, 1/2 in the crankcase, and 1/2 in the vacuum hose.. i guess that is what i should do soon or something.. i might try it again in a bit and see if i get more smoke next time. probably not though haha...
Thanks,
Later!

jeep_maniack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2010, 11:05 PM   #17
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

This is how I did it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7jICUNnQYo
bill8bud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 12:21 AM   #18
jeep_maniack
1989 YJ Wrangler 

alright thanks for the video! Next time I will run it half through the tank and half in the vacuum tube.. Hopefully there will be more smoke and more cleaning etc.. I might have just not gotten enough in there to make a difference much.. I have noticed that it has helped steady the idle, and it seems to be running with a little more response.. Also it does not bog as often after cold starts, but it always will...
Thanks guys! I'll post here again maybe this weekend, maybe in a week.. I don't know..
Thanks!
Unread 04-01-2010, 01:39 AM   #19
YJMonster
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Would it be different on a carb motor seeing as when the air hits the intake its already mixed with the fuel, when i did the seafoam i didnt get much smoke either and i know my engine is dirty.
Unread 04-01-2010, 07:37 AM   #20
skot0123
1991 YJ Wrangler 

From what I understand, the Seafoam itself should create some smoke no matter what condition the engine is in as it is adding a substance that's basically oil based to the mix kind of like your engine burning oil. I use it in mine before every oil change and it seems to helps quite a bit and it quietened my tapping quite a bit. Good Luck!
skot0123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #21
95Turtle
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe you know this already, and some people have hinted at it, but it's a good idea to change the oil soon after doing this.
95Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 09:56 AM   #22
jeep_maniack
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I know, I might change it out this weekend.. The can does say that it doesn't hurt to leave it in though just because it is petroleum based etc.. But I'll still get it changed out soon because it needs one within about 250 miles.. And that's what I thought at first because my engine is carbureted not fuel injected, because I heard that the smoke mostly comes from putting it through the vacuum tube, and that's where I didn't put much to begin with.. But maybe it is because of the normal carburetors and no fuel injection.. We will see I guess!
Thanks!
Unread 04-01-2010, 11:46 AM   #23
Solidsolo
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Crap!! I wanted to do this but I just changed my oil last weekend! Definitely don't want to waste it.
Solidsolo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #24
YJDave
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I had my jeep winterized for five months, after three, I went and dumped a can into the gas tank just to act as a fuel stabilizer. The jeep started right up after pumping the gas pedal a few times.

I have not tried adding it to the oil...the thought makes my neck hairs stand up.
YJDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #25
Solidsolo
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just went to the SeaFoam website and they advised no need to change the oil after adding (see FAQ's)
My concern is, does it smoke until your gas tank runs out? Or should you do this on a fairly low gas tank?
Unread 04-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #26
95Turtle
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you add it to your gas tank it acts mainly as a fuel injector/carb cleaner, and I have never noticed any smoke. Putting it in a vacuum line allows it to act as a top end cleaner in which case it smokes like crazy for a few minutes. I'm not saying that you absolutely have to change oil after you put it in a vacuum line, but it just makes sense to me, and it's pretty easy to arrange it so that you do it when you change your oil.
95Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 11:13 PM   #27
jeep_maniack
1989 YJ Wrangler 

it does not put out any smoke that i have noticed since i put it in my gas tank... it shouldnt from the gas tank really at all.. but after you put it in the vacuum tube then it puts out smoke, because i think that is where it all burns out of.. also, you do not have to change the oil right after, but it probably couldnt hurt... so far in 3 days of running it in my jeep i have noticed that i have a little bit better gas milage, a little bit better of throttle response, a little bit better of idling, and a little bit less bog after cold starts.. so far i am impressed how much it has helped, and i would recommend it to anybody so far!! as long as they do it right anyways haha..
thanks again guys, and ill probably do it again in a week or 2 when i fill up the tank again.
Later!
Unread 04-02-2010, 06:52 AM   #28
skot0123
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Not to say that Seafoam is the cause but I put it in my Jeep and my Wife's Trailblazer in teh oil and didn't change the oil shortly afterwards. It may be a coincidence but the oil pressure gauge on her's started acting very funny about a week or so later and mine started messing up within three weeks. This was a few months ago and they have both since started working normal again but I have since started changing the oil within a few days of Seafoam
skot0123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2010, 09:52 AM   #29
Solidsolo
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My main reason for wanting to try it is the idling. My Jeep idle's what seems off-beat at times (if that makes any sense) Hoping the SeaFoam helps it out a bit.
Unread 04-02-2010, 02:54 PM   #30
jeep_maniack
1989 YJ Wrangler 

yeah the seafoam i think thickens up the oil and that might have been the cause of it...

also, the idle in my jeep used to be off beat (it kind of sounds rough, and kind of bumpy/poppy etc..) and now that i am running seafoam it seems to be a lot smoother, and idles a little bit higher and doesnt want to die like it used to..
Thanks guys!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.