JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   SeaFoam? Anybody used it on their 89 YJ? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/seafoam-anybody-used-their-89-yj-1001896/)

jeep_maniack 03-29-2010 10:42 PM

SeaFoam? Anybody used it on their 89 YJ?

Hey guys, after watching a few videos on youtube and reading a few reviews and threads, i started thinking about getting some of this stuff.. My 1989 YJ Wrangler has about 134,000 (+) miles on it, and its never had any treatment in it that i have known of.. it seems to have a slight bogging problem for the first few miles after starting it in the mornings, and sometimes in the afternoon. People say it also helps milage, and idling which my jeep has issues with as well.. i would be willing to bet that if i got a can of this and used it in my jeep it would work wonders..

So, the reason why i made this thread after reading all of the other stuff is to ask if anybody has used it before in their normal carburated (not fuel injected) jeep. It seems like most of the people using it have fuel injection, so i was wondering if it would hurt to use it in my 89 that does not have fuel injection? I mean i would guess that it wouldnt hurt anything, but hey it doesnt hurt to ask... Ill probably pick some of this stuff up this weekend, because i would be willing to bet it will help, or, worst case scenario, it would do nothing.. Haha i guess it could do something to the engine though, so maybe thats not the worst case scenario......... . . . . .

So what do you guys think about this stuff? Ever used it? Or do you at least think it wouldnt harm anything in the engine? I dont believe that it specifies whether or not you should or shouldnt use it in non fuel injected vehicels, etc... I believe it is Petroleum based as well so...

Anyways, thanks for reading, and id appreciate your input!!
Later!

TripleJ1002 03-29-2010 10:57 PM

ive used it in quite a few cars and it really helped, havent used it on my yj yet but I was also planning on doing it this weekend, and yeah it shouldnt effect anything, you just run it through a vacuum line and follow the instructions and it works wonders!

jeep_maniack 03-29-2010 11:07 PM

alright awesome!! great to know, didnt think it would hurt, but just thought id check.. thanks! and i think it should do a lot since mine is so old and mostly neglected by previous owners.. i think im going to chance the oil in a few miles also so thats good to know.. Maybe ill make a video.. it will probably put out straight black smoke for a while haha!
Oh and doesnt the tube that goes to the power brake assembly thing work as a vaccum?
Thanks! and ill let you guys know how it works when i end up doing it... hopefully it will take away my bog and restore some MPG!! haha and man, this thing could use any performance increase it can take...
Later!

Tinga 03-29-2010 11:39 PM

Funny story.
Didn't actually use it on a Jeep though.
Bought an old '72 bug, ran alright was going to be our project.
No leaks or anything major.

EXCEPT when we dumped a bottle of that in the tank... leaks started popping up EVERYWHERE!
Guess we should have left her dirty. Worked great though
Eventually sold it because the PO tack welding the whole front end on.

Joe Dillard 03-29-2010 11:42 PM

Be prepared for some of this. :laugh:

I hope you don't have any EPA nazi's.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...0/DSC_5645.jpg
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...0/DSC_5652.jpg

jeep_maniack 03-30-2010 12:04 AM

oh my!! haha i am looking forward to this result actually!! how did it work for you? and i might have to take it up to a park or something and do it because i have 3 people who have called the cops on me for wheelying my bicycle (not motorized) down the middle of the circle. not a street, a circle.. also they called the cops on me and my friend for starting up my quad and revving it up a bit.. 2 different times. haha so anyways i should probably take it elsewhere to do it then it looks like.. haha im going to make a video though for sure! i think it will happen this weekend because it is my spring break so lots of time to work on the ol jeep!
Thanks guys, i appreciate the input!!
Later!

Joe Dillard 03-30-2010 12:07 AM

It wasn't my Jeep in those pics. But the results were good from what my friend mentioned.

jeep_maniack 03-30-2010 12:17 AM

alright good to know.. from what i read other people having success with, it sounds like what problems the seafoam fixed on their motors, mine has pretty much all of them.. so maybe, if im lucky, i will be able to get my jeeps issues at least calmed down a bit.. i have some faith in the stuff at least, but we will see. i might just end up rebuilding the thing. i thought i had an oil leak coming from the sides of the engine, but in the end i found out that it was just all coming out of the tube on the rear part of then engine on top where the oil circulates to the lifters and whatnot up in there... i guess that could be contributing to the little tap i get sometimes??
Well, anyways, thanks for all the input guys!! never heard of this stuff before until i saw it on youtube! i thought it was a joke at first but then i read up on it a bit! glad to hear so many people have used the stuff!
Later!

jeep_maniack 03-30-2010 06:11 PM

so i picked up a can today!! i cant wait to try it.. but someone is coming to look at my house in about an hour so i will probably take the jeep up to the park and check it out... can anybody tell me what vacuum tube to suck it in through? Do i take the tube off of the power brake unit thing that is right in front of the steering wheel (but under the hood still, haha)?
Thanks guys!

SkullTripper 03-30-2010 06:17 PM

Make a video of the smoke and where you put it in please sir:cool:

jeep_maniack 03-30-2010 06:45 PM

Here are a few links to others, but ill make one of the smoke probably haha...
YouTube - DIY: '99 Accord Seafoam

YouTube - How To Sea Foam

YouTube - Seafoam in the Mustang

Hope these help! I think that most people put it in through the brake booster vacuum line.. but you are suppose to put 1/3 in the vacuum line, 1/3 into the oil/crankcase (oil filler cap on engine), and the last 1/3 into the gas tank...

Later!

jeep_maniack 03-30-2010 09:43 PM

So I did it as I saw it on YouTube but I still didn't et much smoke... I think that I am going to do it one more time in a month or two, and instead of doing it in thirds, I will do it half tank half vacuum tube and let it sit for maybe 5 or 10 minutes longer and I'll probably get more smoke.. I thunk I need to get more in the engine but it might not have been too bad to begin with even.. Like not much build up BUT i do notice a bit more response in throttle in second and third gears and also, my sputtery idle isn't as sputtery anymore, but more smooth and steady for sure.. We will see if it bogs as bad tomorrow morning while it's cold, because whn I cold start it in the morning and it's not warm it starts to pick up but then it spotters and bogs and I have to put in the clutch and rev it high and then after it's around 100 degrees F, it runs good...

SkullTripper 03-31-2010 07:53 PM

I seen another video that suppose to be the only guy who does it right.. he puts a whole can in gas tank,half in vac hose, and half in oil lets it sit for 15-20mins (also he sprays deep creep in the throtle body

1993BlackYJ 03-31-2010 08:15 PM

4 Attachment(s)
It help my sticking lifter and it is smoother running.
1/3 in crank case, 1/3 in intake, 1/3 gas tank

Sparkfly88 03-31-2010 09:12 PM

I work at a Tireshop, and we do the Induction service like this SeaFoam stuff..

We have this nifty little thing made for hooking up to the vacuum lines. The stuff we use has instructions, we have to keep the vehicle at a 2k rev and adjust the vacuum feed thing to have a steady dribble through the sight glass thing ( looks like an Interveinious thingy from the hospital )

If we do what you guys are doing to make the cool smoke, we get fault codes like crazy.
Does seafoam do it too?

The time now is 07:04 AM.