Screeching sound. Sound changes with clutch movement. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Screeching sound. Sound changes with clutch movement.

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 04-14-2009, 10:56 AM   #1
skream
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Screeching sound. Sound changes with clutch movement.

Hey everyone,

Today i got in my 95 YJ stock 4cyl and there was a screeching type sound coming from the underside of my jeep. At first i thought it was static on the radio, but the radio was off. It resembled the sound you might hear when water is running through a pinched pipe or when air is whistling in a pipe. It was a definite "not good" sound. The sound made a definite change in tone when using the clutch, it didn't go way, it just changed. I let it warm up as long as i could (had to piss) and then drove about 10 miles home. The top is off so i couldn't hear anything while driving.

When i got home i opened the hood while it was running but I couldn't hear the sound from the front or sides of the engine compartment. I only heard it when i was at the bottom of the driver side and on the passenger side. It was pretty faint at this point as well, but still there. I was parked between a couple of trucks before i left so i think the echo made it louder than it actually was.

No noticeable changes in clutch feel or overall performance and i don't think early morning temps were a factor because it only got down to about 60 last night here in vegas. I checked the fluids and everything looks good. Power steering was just a tad low but not out of limits, i dont think that would have anything to do with the clutch anyway.

I think that about covers it. Any ideas?

skream is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2009, 11:48 AM   #2
RavenCorax
1988 XJ Cherokee 

throwout bearing? if the noise changes when you press the clutch could be it.
have you gone though any mud that could have gotten stuck in there?
possibly pilot bearing butim gonna say throwout bearing
Unread 04-14-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
Smash209
1991 YJ Wrangler 

X2 throughout/release bearing. you might be able to see it before dropping the trans by removing the clutch slave (i think 95 you have external)
~~~~~~~~~ \\// ~~~~~~~~~~~~
Smash209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2009, 10:29 PM   #4
skream
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't been through mud, or puddles for that matter. I have been down a few trails though. It's all dry desert rocks. Are these things i could replace myself? I'm an aircraft mechanic but i dont know much about jeeps and i don't have a huge tool collection aside from the basics. I would need a pretty good write-up and some pics to go with it.
Unread 04-15-2009, 09:43 AM   #5
mjmangus
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You need a shop manual. It will describe the procedure (same as clutch replacement). A shop manual will help you determine if you want to tackle the job yourself or take it in. Personnaly I would do the job myself. If you're going to off-road your jeep you should probably invest in more tools. However, if you do take it to a shop you'll have a better idea what they are going to do and be better equiped to describe the problem. For instance: "It makes a noise" vs "It makes a noise and I think it's a throw out bearing". Knowledge is power.
mjmangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2009, 11:50 AM   #6
gkainz
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I replaced my throwout bearing at 140,000 miles - similar sound as you describe. Threw a clutch on it while I was there, just for good measure.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
skream
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just got a quote from pepboys at $783.00. That's for a an entire clutch though. I don't have any problems with my clutch other than the throw out bearing, so is it really worth it for an entire clutch assembly?
Unread 04-15-2009, 05:01 PM   #8
mjmangus
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skream View Post
I just got a quote from pepboys at $783.00. That's for a an entire clutch though. I don't have any problems with my clutch other than the throw out bearing, so is it really worth it for an entire clutch assembly?
Wow!!! But yes. The parts will probably cost you $150 for the entire gig, but, that $783 isn't for parts it's mostly for labor. I'll bet the cost for replacing just the bearing will be pretty close to the same. If you're not going to do it yourself, then bite the bullet, and let them do the whole thing. It would ruin your whole day if you had to bring it back a week later cuz the clutch let go. Besides, if the bearing is shot, the other components are not far behind. You might even go the extra mile and have the slave cylinder replaced. Sorry if I'm the bearer of bad news but I think everyone else would agree.
mjmangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2009, 05:16 PM   #9
yjjustforme
1995 YJ Wrangler 

its the throwout bearing, i had the exact same symptoms and it was the t. bearing.
Unread 04-15-2009, 09:06 PM   #10
gkainz
1995 YJ Wrangler 

the labor for changing a throwout bearing's gonna be like a half hour less than doing the whole clutch, I'm thinking ... you "might" be ok just changing the t/o bearing, but I would have to REALLY look long and hard at that clutch ...

like noted above - $150 for a good clutch; less than $100 for an ok one ... $600 for labor seems high... I'm thinking it ought to be a 5 hour job by the book, maybe?
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 09:15 PM   #11
skream
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've decided to do it myself. There's a garage that i can rent a lift and tools from, and i have a buddy thats going to help me out along with my hayne's manual.

Any suggestions on a clutch brand? I was about to drop 800$ anyway so i might as well spend 150$ on a good clutch.

What all should i change while I'm in there? slave cylinder? pressure plate? Just looking for ideas before i go into battle.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.