School me - lockers - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > School me - lockers

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #76
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
I am trying to learn as much as I can about the best locker setup to get for my rig when I pull the trigger. There is a bunch of different types and so many different opinions on the best setup for different situations.
Ain't that the flippin' truth!!!!

I've spent months researching which way to go and what to do. So many options, so many opinions. Then once you finally figure out what KIND of locker you want, you have to wade through the marketing BS to figure out which company you want to give your hard earned dollars to and who's going to give you the biggest bang for your buck. Even after that you have to figure out which vendor to purchase from. It can get dizzying.

My selection is based upon my area, my rig build, my ultimate tire size, and my axles. My purchase decision to pay $14 more to buy direct from Aussie was based on Bill Cole's prompt email responses and open dialogue. My hope is that he'll enjoy a higher profit margin than if I had purchased from a distributor. I feel he deserves it.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:39 AM   #77
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hey Anticanman. I watched your video. The Truetrac is a LSD. To keep it engaged when you are running a trail like that you need to keep your foot into the brake to keep the pressure on it? I didnt see any brakelights when you were moving forward, just when you were moving back.

Here is a JK link for explaining lockers.
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-tech/d...ts-lockers-101
I also found a kid on line that really does an excellent job of explaining the lockers from a mechainical operation. If you go through all his videos he does a real good job of explaining things. This one isnt for you Anticanman. I know you know your stuff. I am trying to learn as much as I can about the best locker setup to get for my rig when I pull the trigger. There is a bunch of different types and so many different opinions on the best setup for different situations.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Enginee...arn-about-cars
My truetrac was in the rear and I have a full locker up front already. Because the brakes tend to bias toward the front and I was going uphill, you'll see I engaged my ebrake to give myself a little more traction. Hitting the brakes in that situation would have only stopped me and killed the engine.
Unread 10-24-2013, 09:15 AM   #78
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I didnt see the ebrake. I was just busting your balls a little anyways. How do you like the ARB? I have been reading and watching videos on lockers for 3 days now. I have read that moisture in the air in the ARB can become an issue but I know that all the semi trucks out there are running pnuematic bracks and I know they dont screw around when it comes to their systems so I have to believe its appliction. I was basically down to the Eaton or The Ox. What locker were/are you running in the front? You profile doesnt say and I was wondering if you did the ARB front and rear.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #79
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I was basically down to the Eaton or The Ox. What locker were/are you running in the front?

I was seriously considering OX in the front of mine, but with the snow/ice we get in the lovely Midwest, it was ill advised as mine spends a lot of time, unfortunately, on road.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Unread 10-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #80
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I didnt see the ebrake. I was just busting your balls a little anyways. How do you like the ARB? I have been reading and watching videos on lockers for 3 days now. I have read that moisture in the air in the ARB can become an issue but I know that all the semi trucks out there are running pnuematic bracks and I know they dont screw around when it comes to their systems so I have to believe its appliction. I was basically down to the Eaton or The Ox. What locker were/are you running in the front? You profile doesnt say and I was wondering if you did the ARB front and rear.
Moisture in the air lines to that extent is a sign of a poorly designed OBA system. Ya gotta drain it quite often if you're getting a lot of condensation in the tank. I have my output hose coming off the bottom and blow it out once a week. As to answering the question as to how I like the ARB, I love it. Its so easy to engage and disengage. In the front I have the auburn gear ECTED which is a limited slip off and full spool on electric locker. It hung up and stayed a spool for 18 hours after that engagement but since I have spoken with the engineers at auburn gear and they told me how I should have broken it in. It works great now.
Unread 10-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #81
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have an ARB in both the front and rear. I have really never worried about moisture in my lockers. Normal maintenance(draining the tank every now and then)seems to deal with that issue. ARB lockers use very little actual air to engage too, 90-100 psi, but almost no volume.
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #82
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I am in the same boat as RP. The selectable locker like OX with the disco will run open diff when not engaged so shouldnt be an issue in the snow. No locker is good in the snow trying to turn. At least with one of the selectable lockers in the front you can unlock it for the times when you need the control. There is no way I can go limited slip in the front for the winter driving. I have done the 360 on the freeway. The lockers will give you the traction through the snow but no way could I drive the freeway during the winter with it on.

Anticanman what happened with the ECTED that caused it to not release? BTW. How did your dog end up in the back of a police car? Looked at some more of your vids on youtube.
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #83
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I am in the same boat as RP. The selectable locker like OX with the disco will run open diff when not engaged so shouldnt be an issue in the snow. No locker is good in the snow trying to turn. At least with one of the selectable lockers in the front you can unlock it for the times when you need the control. There is no way I can go limited slip in the front for the winter driving. I have done the 360 on the freeway. The lockers will give you the traction through the snow but no way could I drive the freeway during the winter with it on.

Anticanman what happened with the ECTED that caused it to not release? BTW. How did your dog end up in the back of a police car? Looked at some more of your vids on youtube.
There are three pins that lock the case halves together to implement the spool action. One of them stuck in the locked position so I had a spool all the way down winding hwy 4. We had it apart most of the evening and I decided on towing it the next morning. Then on the way out to a phone it magically righted itself. Now it locks and unlocks just fine. The limited slip is actually great in the snow.

As for the dog, he's a different breed. John passed you my number so feel free to call and chat anytime.
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #84
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, will do.I have been meaning to give you a shout. It's been.....interesting LOL
As for the dog I don't know why he looks so happy sitting back there. I know I am never happy the few times I've been in that seat.
Unread 10-26-2013, 10:21 PM   #85
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Locker has arrived. Front diff has been torn apart. Locker is in. SuVEy SAYS ..... Need to find harder trails.

Unread 10-26-2013, 10:33 PM   #86
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Come on down! You're the next contestant on "let's wheel California"
Unread 10-26-2013, 10:41 PM   #87
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Come on down! You're the next contestant on "let's wheel California"
It's me! It's me!!! I'm so giddy!!!

Unread 10-27-2013, 12:35 AM   #88
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
They don't work well in the rocks at all. That's why I ditched mine for an ARB.

Watch my truetrac get me stuck last year. Bad spotter too...

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-Je1k7Z67I
I hope the camera guy got a pink slip lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HOa...e_gdata_player

Whats a spool?
Unread 10-27-2013, 01:18 AM   #89
squarelite
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr
I hope the camera guy got a pink slip lol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HOa...e_gdata_player Whats a spool?

Wow
squarelite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #90
jason m
your ad here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post

Whats a spool?
Its one of three things,
1st its when you replace the hole carrier that is splined threw and threw, so there is no spiders, no side gears just a chunk of steel that the ring is bolted and both shafts slide into.

2nd is a mini spool that you use your stock carrier and replace the spider gears with a small chunk of steel with the proper splines for each axle.

3rd is a welded carrier, that's when you weld the spiders into a nugget of iron and now its spool.

The 3rd is the cheapest and what I run front and rear, but I'm trail only and have rear steer, so I get a lot of scrub when I turn but always have traction.

Spools are cheap but come with a different outcomes, is it right for everybody, no but a trail/street jeep with a spooled rear will be able to DD and handle the off road just fine.
Front you will have a lot of plow steer, so hydro assist or full hydro is best.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.