School me - lockers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > School me - lockers

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 09-26-2013, 05:55 AM   #1
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

School me - lockers

As I venture out more and more, I'm getting into situations where my drive wheel, or in some cases wheels, get off the ground and I loose momentum. For this reason, I'm looking at lockers, but have no experience with them.

I recently learned that my D35 has limited slip as I was going up a challenge and one of the guys watching asked if I had lockers because both rear tires were spinning and throwing dirt as I bounced up the wall. This would lean me into front lockers. I'm not looking to permanently lock it up as I do quite a bit of pavement pounding with my rig. I'm looking at something I can connect and disconnect from inside the cab while on the trail.

School me. Is a locker a shade tree mechanic job? Who has what to say about Air? E? And Mechanical? What's the "easiest" to install and has the least maintenance? I know killing the vacuum disconnect up front would be wise to do as well, and I plan to do that when I do the locker.

Thank you as always for the sage advice.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 06:38 AM   #2
Jeepsr4me

Just cause both tires are spinning dont mean LS in rear. But the front is pretty easy to do a lunch box locker. And if you leave the 2 piece shaft up front you will never know the locker is up there till you engage 4x4.
Rear if you have open diff you can put same in and as long as you not to wild with the skinny petal you will be fine. Cause you have the Better 35 that is not held in with C clips.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The easiest to install would be a lunchbox since you won't have to take the ring gear off the carrier, install the locker, and then have to set up your diff again.

In your case I would lock the front. D35 is strong enough to have that type if wear on it
Unread 09-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Another vote for lunchbox up front. It is daily drive friendly and trail tested. You can install it yourself without any gear work and it'll only cost you about a finger as opposed to an arm for e locker or a leg for the ARB. Best of all, they're automatic. They kick on whe you give it the welly and will not show itself when in 2wd.

You'll see the cross pin move because it is connected to the ring gear such is connected to the pinion then eventually your foot. I'm not a doctor btw...
Unread 09-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
squarelite
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Lunchbox's won't give him the in can control that he desires. You have your Arb but it will need an air source to power it. I run a powertank for mine, but soon will go to an arb compressor. Ox lockers are reliable and they are cable actuated. I think Yukon has an air locker. Auburn makes an electric. I would go with air or cable over electrical. Just seems way more reliable.
squarelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

OK, so lunch box is an option. What about an OX locker?

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

OX is a full case locker. Replacing the entire carrier.
The lunchbox only replaces the spider gears in an existing carrier.
A full case locker requires resetting all the settings for the gears and bearings in the diff.
A lunchbox does not as it re-uses everything but the spider gears.

I use an ARB full case locker. It is a selectable(I can turn it on/off), compared to an automatic. All lunchbox lockers are auto lockers.

Selectable's are the most versatile but the most $$$. A selectable locker when in 4x4 and not on, is completely invisible. An auto locker will affect the steering somewhat, when in 4x4.
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #8
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaef81 View Post
The easiest to install would be a lunchbox since you won't have to take the ring gear off the carrier, install the locker, and then have to set up your diff again.

In your case I would lock the front. D35 is strong enough to have that type if wear on it
Why would he have setup his gears again if he removes the ring gear from the carrier?

IIRC I had to pull my ring gear to get the cross pin in with 4.10s.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion
Why would he have setup his gears again if he removes the ring gear from the carrier? IIRC I had to pull my ring gear to get the cross pin in with 4.10s.
That wasn't what I was saying. I was comparing installing a lunchbox locker vs. a full carrier locker. If you go with a full carrier locker you have to reset the settings in the diff like previously stated in this thread.
Unread 09-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #10
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post

Why would he have setup his gears again if he removes the ring gear from the carrier?

IIRC I had to pull my ring gear to get the cross pin in with 4.10s.
Swapping carriers = R & P setup.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #11
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post

Swapping carriers = R & P setup.
I know this. If you read what he typed, it sounds like you won't have to remove the ring gear to install a lunchbox locker. And if you do, you will have to set up your gears again. I must have read it differently than most. Maybe I think with the left side of my brain or something retarded like that...

It could also be that I'm battling a bad cold.

August YJOTM

Unread 09-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #12
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
I know this. If you read what he typed, it sounds like you won't have to remove the ring gear to install a lunchbox locker. And if you do, you will have to set up your gears again. I must have read it differently than most. Maybe I think with the left side of my brain or something retarded like that...

It could also be that I'm battling a bad cold.
All good man. I figured it was just a misinterpretation of what I wrote.
Unread 09-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #13
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaef81 View Post

All good man. I figured it was just a misinterpretation of what I wrote.

August YJOTM

Unread 09-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #14
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Lunchbox locker- among best upgrades I've ever done!
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 05:24 AM   #15
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

I removed my ring gear and did not have to reset my gears.
Lunchbox locker easy , cheap and effective.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.