JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   School me - lockers (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/school-me-lockers-1624585/)

Rproject 09-26-2013 05:55 AM

School me - lockers

As I venture out more and more, I'm getting into situations where my drive wheel, or in some cases wheels, get off the ground and I loose momentum. For this reason, I'm looking at lockers, but have no experience with them.

I recently learned that my D35 has limited slip as I was going up a challenge and one of the guys watching asked if I had lockers because both rear tires were spinning and throwing dirt as I bounced up the wall. This would lean me into front lockers. I'm not looking to permanently lock it up as I do quite a bit of pavement pounding with my rig. I'm looking at something I can connect and disconnect from inside the cab while on the trail.

School me. Is a locker a shade tree mechanic job? Who has what to say about Air? E? And Mechanical? What's the "easiest" to install and has the least maintenance? I know killing the vacuum disconnect up front would be wise to do as well, and I plan to do that when I do the locker.

Thank you as always for the sage advice.

Jeepsr4me 09-26-2013 06:38 AM

Just cause both tires are spinning dont mean LS in rear. But the front is pretty easy to do a lunch box locker. And if you leave the 2 piece shaft up front you will never know the locker is up there till you engage 4x4.
Rear if you have open diff you can put same in and as long as you not to wild with the skinny petal you will be fine. Cause you have the Better 35 that is not held in with C clips.

Schaef81 09-26-2013 07:32 AM

The easiest to install would be a lunchbox since you won't have to take the ring gear off the carrier, install the locker, and then have to set up your diff again.

In your case I would lock the front. D35 is strong enough to have that type if wear on it

Anticanman 09-26-2013 08:04 AM

Another vote for lunchbox up front. It is daily drive friendly and trail tested. You can install it yourself without any gear work and it'll only cost you about a finger as opposed to an arm for e locker or a leg for the ARB. Best of all, they're automatic. They kick on whe you give it the welly and will not show itself when in 2wd.

You'll see the cross pin move because it is connected to the ring gear such is connected to the pinion then eventually your foot. I'm not a doctor btw...

squarelite 09-26-2013 08:59 AM

Lunchbox's won't give him the in can control that he desires. You have your Arb but it will need an air source to power it. I run a powertank for mine, but soon will go to an arb compressor. Ox lockers are reliable and they are cable actuated. I think Yukon has an air locker. Auburn makes an electric. I would go with air or cable over electrical. Just seems way more reliable.

Rproject 09-26-2013 09:39 AM

OK, so lunch box is an option. What about an OX locker?

jeepster93 09-26-2013 09:48 AM

OX is a full case locker. Replacing the entire carrier.
The lunchbox only replaces the spider gears in an existing carrier.
A full case locker requires resetting all the settings for the gears and bearings in the diff.
A lunchbox does not as it re-uses everything but the spider gears.

I use an ARB full case locker. It is a selectable(I can turn it on/off), compared to an automatic. All lunchbox lockers are auto lockers.

Selectable's are the most versatile but the most $$$. A selectable locker when in 4x4 and not on, is completely invisible. An auto locker will affect the steering somewhat, when in 4x4.

Randonexplosion 09-26-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schaef81 (Post 16330665)
The easiest to install would be a lunchbox since you won't have to take the ring gear off the carrier, install the locker, and then have to set up your diff again.

In your case I would lock the front. D35 is strong enough to have that type if wear on it

Why would he have setup his gears again if he removes the ring gear from the carrier?

IIRC I had to pull my ring gear to get the cross pin in with 4.10s.

Schaef81 09-26-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randonexplosion
Why would he have setup his gears again if he removes the ring gear from the carrier? IIRC I had to pull my ring gear to get the cross pin in with 4.10s.

That wasn't what I was saying. I was comparing installing a lunchbox locker vs. a full carrier locker. If you go with a full carrier locker you have to reset the settings in the diff like previously stated in this thread.

GrantYJ 09-26-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randonexplosion (Post 16334385)

Why would he have setup his gears again if he removes the ring gear from the carrier?

IIRC I had to pull my ring gear to get the cross pin in with 4.10s.

Swapping carriers = R & P setup.

Randonexplosion 09-26-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantYJ (Post 16346217)

Swapping carriers = R & P setup.

I know this. If you read what he typed, it sounds like you won't have to remove the ring gear to install a lunchbox locker. And if you do, you will have to set up your gears again. I must have read it differently than most. Maybe I think with the left side of my brain or something retarded like that...

It could also be that I'm battling a bad cold.

Schaef81 09-26-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randonexplosion (Post 16347473)
I know this. If you read what he typed, it sounds like you won't have to remove the ring gear to install a lunchbox locker. And if you do, you will have to set up your gears again. I must have read it differently than most. Maybe I think with the left side of my brain or something retarded like that...

It could also be that I'm battling a bad cold.

All good man. I figured it was just a misinterpretation of what I wrote.:cheers2:

Randonexplosion 09-26-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schaef81 (Post 16347849)

All good man. I figured it was just a misinterpretation of what I wrote.:cheers2:

:cheers2:

linusb 09-26-2013 07:22 PM

Lunchbox locker- among best upgrades I've ever done!

bogleparsons 09-27-2013 05:24 AM

I removed my ring gear and did not have to reset my gears.
Lunchbox locker easy , cheap and effective.

The time now is 08:14 AM.