Schaef's 89 YJ "build" - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Schaef's 89 YJ "build"

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 10-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #31
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

figured I'd start taking time while waiting for the compressor to catch up and start cleaning up some parts

another hole popped up

plated.. couldn't get a tool in there to cut it all out

freshly coated w rust converter

that last pic is the completion of welding.. it's on to reassembly and off for state inspection

schaef89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #32
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

reassembly..

fuel lines/filter

gas tank back in (that's not gas.. it's WD40 to get the hoses back on easy)

for the first time in months.. all 4 tires are on the ground

moved out and idling

next stop.. PA state inspection
Unread 10-19-2011, 06:09 PM   #33
red87yj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

good luck with yours, I'm just getting mine ready to do the same thing. Good job with the frame repair, You have more patience than I do for sure!

Later
Zach

SOLD!!!87 Red YJ with 95 4.0 & NV 3550 & Dana 300 Flipped
3.5 BDS Lift
red87yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2011, 06:36 PM   #34
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Im in the same boat here, luckily my friend is a welder/fabricator...unfourtunetely hes had it all summer n still has a ton of work to do as he has hardly done nething at this point...not having my jeep is driving me up a wall haha
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #35
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by red87yj View Post
good luck with yours, I'm just getting mine ready to do the same thing. Good job with the frame repair, You have more patience than I do for sure!

Later
Zach
Thanks, good luck with yours too.. best thing i can say is don't get discouraged. There's always more rust than you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_YJ19 View Post
Im in the same boat here, luckily my friend is a welder/fabricator...unfourtunetely hes had it all summer n still has a ton of work to do as he has hardly done nething at this point...not having my jeep is driving me up a wall haha
hey man, totally forgot I was supposed to get back to you. I ended up moving to Pittsburgh so that took up alot of my time. If you still need help I'd be happy to help you out, just let me know.
Unread 10-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #36
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i may if my friend doesn't get a move on i'm about to just go take my jeep back hes had it way too long. How did ur inspection go? ne issues with the frame being welded?
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2011, 05:55 AM   #37
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't gotten a chance to call to set an appointment for an inspection just yet, I was out of town all weekend and had a real long day at work yesterday. I'll call today and hopefully get it inspected sometime this week.
Unread 10-27-2011, 12:25 PM   #38
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Failed Inspection for bad Ball Joints. Anyone know where to find a good tool for replacing them?
Unread 10-30-2011, 12:19 PM   #39
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Upper and lower ball joints, hub assembly, and axle u-joint all on order. Hopefully they get here before the weekend so they can slap a sticker on this thing
Unread 11-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #40
seraph_rapture
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for posting your build, it encouraged me to get on mine!
seraph_rapture is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 03:04 PM   #41
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Started disassembling for replacing the ball joints..

took me a little work with a sledge to get the rotor off

As far as i got tonight, I couldn't get the hub assembly out as it seems to be completely rusted to the knuckle. I'll have to take a trip to the store to look at an air chisel attachment this week.
Unread 11-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #42
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Got some work done on the Jeep today..

Since the wheel bearing would not come out with any tricks i've learned from here.. it was time to step it up a little

And after an hour or so with the impact hammer and a sledge..

This will get a new ujoint

No wonder it was stuck in so good.. damn road salt

Got mangled a little but still usable.. it's been repainted and drying

Took the castle nuts off and cleaned it up a little.. waiting on the pickle fork set i ordered

Now it's a waiting game for ordered tools/a trip to advanced to rent the ball joint tool
Unread 11-13-2011, 08:14 PM   #43
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So I ended up getting my tools from the brown santa during the week last week (pickle fork set, ball joint adapter tool for Jeep axles, cotter pins). I held out for the weekend so I could do things all at once and get it done and ready to take back to the inspection shop. They said when I take it back, all they'd have to do is a visual check to make sure I've completed what was required to pass inspection and they'd slap a sticker on it. I have a decent sized update from this weekend, so I'll get to it here..

The pickle fork set definitely was a saving grace getting the knuckle off.. it was stuck on there pretty good

Here's a picture of the Jeep adapter for the Ball joint press. I ended up biting the bullet and buying the adapter, but I rented the press from Advance

Both ball joints came out fairly easy.. I was expecting a little more resistance considering the difficulty I've encountered getting to this point

This is where I came to my first speed bump in this installation. My FSM calls out a special socket to remove and install the set screw for the lower ball joint, shown below. First one is the one in the knuckle and the second is the new one that came with the new lower ball joint.

Now since this special tool costs about 90 bucks and is a really rare part.. I decided to sacrifice one of my impact sockets to fab up the special tool.

Here's a picture the old set screw coming out

And here's me using my modified socket to screw in the new set screw. The socket is basically just four nubs in a cross pattern across the socket's center

After I got that all taken care of I turned to installing the new ball joints. I didn't run into any really big issues with this, especially with the use of the adapter kit. Ended up going with Moog for the ball joints

Then I moved along to replacing the axle shaft u-joint since it wasn't as moveable as it should be

Definitely not in the best of shape.. haha. On the two rusted sections, the needle bearings were actually rusted fast to the inside of the cup and to each other

Installed a heavy duty u-joint and repainted the axle. I ended up having to make an emergency run to Advance to find u-joint retaining clips that hold it in the yoke, my u-joint did not come with them and i broke two removing the old one.

And here's where the pace started to pick up because I could start to see the finish line

Dust shield and new unit bearing installed and tightened down

And here it is all buttoned up and the axle hub nut torqued down. I anti-seized the hell out of the unit bearing and knuckle opening. Hopefully that will help me out in the future if I ever have to take this apart again. I also went through and made sure the ball joints and the tie rod end were fully greased
Unread 11-14-2011, 11:10 AM   #44
seraph_rapture
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Hard work is good work!!
seraph_rapture is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2011, 03:23 PM   #45
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Definitely a good week.. got it yesterday

Now I have the sticker I can get around to fixing some drive-ability issues with the fuel/air system. I haven't had the smoothest idle since owning this Jeep and let it go unattended for a little too long. I've decided that now's the time to get the situation under control. I've started to replace some of the sensors after reading through my FSM, starting with the 5 year old Bosch o2 sensor. Replaced it with an NTK yesterday.

Based on my symptoms with the idle and overall rough running I decided that a Throttle Body rebuild was in order.. the Jeep is 22 years old after all. It'll also be nice to know that something as simple as a bad gasket/fuel regulator was the issue instead of replacing sensors.

I think I'll do a procedure write up for this TBI rebuild procedure. I haven't seen any kind of writeup on it so far on this forum and I'm sure it would be nice to have a step by step for people who are curious.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.