Schaef's 89 YJ "build" - Page 20 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Schaef's 89 YJ "build"

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #286
Hard_oNe
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It would be great to hear how you put on the pinion gear. Did you torque it without the ring gear? If so, what did you use to tighten it down? ...to crush the sleeve.

Thanks....my project is waiting until I figure this part out.

Hard_oNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #287
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard_oNe View Post
It would be great to hear how you put on the pinion gear. Did you torque it without the ring gear? If so, what did you use to tighten it down? ...to crush the sleeve.

Thanks....my project is waiting until I figure this part out.
It was torqued without the ring gear since you have to set the bearing preload of the pinion only. Basically how much torque to make it spin by itself.

This isn't the most ideal way to tighten it down, and I'll probably get flamed for it but I could only get it to keep tightening with my air impact gun. I physically could not get it to budge after a certain point and didn't have many resources to apply more leverage on my socket wrench. So I held the yoke still with a 24" pipe wrench and drew a line on the side of my socket to watch it move. I'd tighten it 1/16-1/8" at a time and measure preload with the in-lb torque wrench I bought. It took awhile even with the impact gun.

Here's the update from the last couple of weeks..

I went through the diff and took it for a drive after refilling the gear oil. Noise was still there so I started by checking the u joints on the rear driveshaft to rule things out. I found that the one u joint i hadn't replaced had a damaged spot on one of the needle bearing surfaces

So i replaced it and when i was strapping down my yoke I noticed something. The first picture is the way it should look

The ear for the u joint is worn down. At this point I was thinking that this was making the clicking noises/growling. Took it for a ride and.. noise was still there.

At this point I thought I was hearing the noise more towards the passenger rear wheel. I figured at 25 bucks for the bearing and 8 for the seal I might as well replace it and see if it quiets up. Below are pictures followed by a video of how loose the bearing was on the race and noise while turning. Hopefully the videos work correctly

Threw the axle back in after the new seal and bearing install and the. noise. was. still. there. : I think regardless if the bearing was making noise, it should have been replaced. Either way I was really hoping that was the cause.

To be honest I have no idea what the cause is and I'm severely starting to doubt my diagnostic abilities.

I'm going to replace the 10w30 in the trans with gear oil because I hear it mainly coming from the trans hump. That and the trans is the only thing that is not known to be good. I've already gone through the rear and tcase and the noise is still present so my next step is to change the fluid to see if the noise decreases and maybe narrow it to a bad bearing in the trans.

My driver side axle bearing was in similar, but slightly better shape than shown above so I haven't replaced it but I may decide to do so if the gear oil doesn't change anything. At least I can say that the rear was gone through when I go to sell it during the d44 swap. Hate to admit it but Sooner was right about having to dump more into the d35
schaef89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #288
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaef89 View Post
Hate to admit it but Sooner was right about having to dump more into the d35
That sucks. I just dumped another $400 to get an ARB and 30 splines in my D30. I've been dumping money in small axles too.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #289
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
That sucks. I just dumped another $400 to get an ARB and 30 splines in my D30. I've been dumping money in small axles too.
Yeah but at least yours is the fun stuff lol

Update.. I went ahead and did the gear oil in the trans with no change in regards to the driveline noise. I do think that the gear oil makes the trans a little smoother and quieter over the 10w30 though in my opinion.

I went over to Advance a couple days later and got what I needed to replace the driver side axle bearing and seals. When I got it out and inspected it, the bearing only had gear oil on it and no bearing grease as well as the inner seal being toast. Replaced all that and it made the noise quieter and less noticable, but did not get rid of it 100%.

With how many times I'm replacing bearings, I got that procedure down to 45-1 hour from the time the tire is off the ground to the time it's back on the ground. Only thing left I can think of is my carrier side bearings since it now is more noticeable down to 30 mph around town driving. I did think about replacing them while it was out but decided against it. I'm kicking myself now for not doing it because now it's getting too cold to be messing with that again for a second vehicle even though I have the bearings from the rebuild kit.

It's drivable in case I need it over winter so I'll start focusing on the d44. All I need is a bearing rebuild kit to start the regear on that, then i'll move onto brackets and brake accessories to finish it up later. I might strip the shock brackets off of my toasted grand cherokee d35, so that'll save me some cash.
schaef89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 12:01 AM   #290
kgb_m3
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Props on diving into gearing and great job on fixing the rust. Awesome build thread, thank you for a lot of good info!
kgb_m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #291
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Just read this whole thing. well done, you have way more patience than I!

What I dont get is how you didnt burn through on those floor panels! Im doing mine right now with a tiny 90 amp flux core, and no matter how I set it she ends up lumpy or cooks holes in it. Wish I was better at this!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.