Schaef's 89 YJ "build" - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Schaef's 89 YJ "build"

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-02-2011, 08:37 PM   #16
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

4.0 Swap

Schaef81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #17
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

First legitimate update in awhile

Ended up scoring some Factory Service Manuals for 1989 Jeep vehicles off Craigslist.. this will help me out tremendously.

Bye Borla.. you leaky bastard..

All buttoned up with the new stock manifold.. kind of a crappy situation going back to stock but i'd rather have stock than a horrible leak.

Sorry for the cell pics.. I'm in the process of charging my camera batteries. I still have to get the stock downpipe installed and then i'll be dropping the tank/removing some fuel lines, and welding the frame.
schaef89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #18
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Got bored today so I rolled the jeep out of the garage.. probably the first time in it's life it's been under a shelter

got my camera batteries charged so we have some decent pictures now.. So since I pulled an idiot move and bought the wrong size hardware for the cat flange (forgot to take an old bolt with me) I decided since the downpipe was out I'd do some overdue cleaning..

what my trans looked like before

and after using a whole spray bottle of Simple Green I ended up with this

I think it turned out really good compared to what it was.. I have to get some more simple green to do the other side since one bottle wasn't enough

Only thing wrong with cleaning is that it makes the other parts look like crap and I feel like i need to just keep cleaning.. someday soon I'll have to drop the t-case skid to do the rest
Unread 08-20-2011, 02:00 PM   #19
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Got the rest of the trans degreased

and the downpipe bolted in
Unread 08-21-2011, 09:02 PM   #20
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So since i've had a problem with how the motor runs since i've had the jeep I wanted to peg down the situation. Last time i did the timing chain I knew the sprocket positioning didn't coincide with what my haynes manual said. I played it safe and put them back in the way they came out. When i got a look at my FSM it backed up the positioning of the timing chain at 20 pins between marks like the haynes said. So it was time to dig into it again.

As it came off my motor.. 21 pins between marks and not 20. A PO must have done a sloppy install at some point.

Took some time to clean up the front of the motor once it was reinstalled correctly

job done.. alot cleaner than before
Unread 09-20-2011, 05:40 PM   #21
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Finally got some time to start disassembly for frame repair..

Found out why my spare tire makes so much noise all the time.. the sheetmetal is cracked

got the tank out.. i expected the crossmember to be gone but it was in surprisingly good shape

guess where this came from

mostly metal chunks and dirt..

outside rail

inside rail

that's as far as i got. It's a lot worse than i thought it would be so I need to revise my plan of attack here. I have a welder and a replacement section sitting in the garage waiting
Unread 09-25-2011, 04:17 PM   #22
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Had some free time today to get some progress done on the frame, finally unboxed the welder and assembled it

did some practice beads to re-familiarize myself with welding again.. I got the hang of it again by the fourth weld (on the right). I'll get better the more I do it so they won't look too bad in the future

As far as I got with cutting material, had to stop because the steelers are on tonight . But you can get the idea of what i'm cutting and replacing
Unread 09-27-2011, 06:29 PM   #23
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

got some more progress done on the jeep tonight

more cutting

rotted piece

cut section

and tracing on the solid frame section with templates

Unread 09-30-2011, 12:29 PM   #24
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

some more progress..

started cutting the good frame section

this one was in a LOT better shape than mine, uniform thickness the whole way around

took me a bit to get the shape correct

fitment is good, ready to weld

I wanted to spray some rust fix inside the rail before i started welding and ended up finding this little guy.. looks like I got another patch job to do

Rain halted my work today since i'm using all power tools in a seepy carport, more soon
Unread 09-30-2011, 12:47 PM   #25
seraph_rapture
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Good on you for getting all this done in a carport. Makes me feel bad for neglecting mine half in my buddy's garage!
seraph_rapture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 06:09 PM   #26
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

thanks, this is actually the first time i've had any kind of shelter to work under. I used to be an avid driveway repairman for years
Unread 10-03-2011, 06:00 PM   #27
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have a small but big (to me) update today.

tacked up

I got the outside completely welded but wanted to check penetration so i ground it all off to check

Some sanity welds just to make sure

And the inside.. the inside is not very pretty but i got good penetration on them. It was just awkward to lay under the car and get a good angle on the gun
Unread 10-05-2011, 04:08 PM   #28
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

before

after

I ran out of wire in the welder sooner than I would have liked today.. More updates when i get a new spool.
Unread 10-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #29
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

got a new wire spool.. here we go

finished up this area.. not pretty by any means but it will do

cut out the bad hole in the back, found all kinds of metal chips in there so i decided to start hitting it with a hammer

this is what resulted from the hammer

this is where it came from

after I saw that I realized I wasn't completing all the necessary welding today so I swept up and called it a day. I got the original patches covered with rust preventative and later will get a coat of enamel
Unread 10-14-2011, 12:33 PM   #30
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

update time..

coated with rust stop

semi-flat enamel

bad cut out

good welded in

still having trouble with welding laying down..

And here's a peek of a future mod fresh off the fed-ex truck

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.