Schaef's 89 YJ "build" - Page 19 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Schaef's 89 YJ "build"

1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Rear Leaf Spring (4 Leaf) Pair1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Front Upper & Lower Control ArSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 10-02-2013, 08:10 AM   #271
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well after swapping the transfer case and driving it for a week (this was 2 weeks ago). I still had a driveline noise during decel at speeds over 50mph. Naturally I figured that I messed something up in the tcase or the chain was loose. I jacked up the rear and ran it in 5th over 60 and let it coast, noise was real loud and sounded like it was in the tcase, crap. Took it down from the stands and let it sit a couple days until I could think on my next plan.

I decided to test it one last time before disassembling things. I removed the driveshaft in hopes of isolating the noise (tcase/trans vs rear end). So I duct taped extension housing and ran the driveline to "60 mph" and let it coast, not one noise.

The pinion bearing is toasted in my d35. With the driveshaft out I tried rotating the yoke and it feels lumpy. No play though which threw me off initially.

So after all this.. she's sitting. At least until I can figure our my next move

schaef89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #272
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You have way more patience then I think I could ever muster!
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #273
Hard_oNe
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have the same problem with the rear pinion. I over torque that ***** using my daddy's german standard. Goodandtighten.

My plan is to take it apart and redo the torque with new crush washer. I read on here to torque to 150 lbs or so until no pinion play then back off to 14 lbs rotating resistance. Without the ring gear installed.

My 8.8 need a funding source for parts...sitting in my garage...staring at me.
Hard_oNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #274
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
You have way more patience then I think I could ever muster!
you're tellin' me Hopefully I'll be able drive it for more than a week after this..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard_oNe View Post
I have the same problem with the rear pinion. I over torque that ***** using my daddy's german standard. Goodandtighten.

My plan is to take it apart and redo the torque with new crush washer. I read on here to torque to 150 lbs or so until no pinion play then back off to 14 lbs rotating resistance. Without the ring gear installed.

My 8.8 need a funding source for parts...sitting in my garage...staring at me.
I don't need to run it bad since I have my WJ, but I plan to take it apart as well. I have a d44 from an XJ I want to build up but I'm quite a few bills away from getting the parts I need.

As far as the pinion bearing goes..

I did my homework and read the FSM. I found out that the outer bearing (if bad) will be the one to make noise on deceleration. The inner pinion bearing (if bad) will make noise on acceleration.

So knowing this I feel that I should be able to replace the outer bearing and crush sleeve and be in the clear after setting pinion preload. Since I have to have the pinion out of the rear for this, I think I will replace both bearings for good measure.

My conundrum currently is how I want to fix it. I have 4.88s for the d35 that I've bought as a package deal along with a d30 4.88 & d30 rebuild kit. This leads to the following options:

1. Buy the bearings & crush sleeve (~40 bucks) and leave the rear at 4.10, don't touch the front
2. Buy the master install kit from ebay (65 shipped) to play it safe with having parts/shims on hand in case I have a bad contact pattern or other bearings are bad, leave the rear at 4.10, don't touch the front
3. Buy the master install kit from ebay, regear to 4.88s while the carrier is out, remove the front DS for now and regear the front over the winter.

Thoughts anyone?? I'd appreciate any opinions

I'm leaning towards option 2. Any parts/bearings I don't use can be put towards setup bearings for my d30. However If I regear now I'll have a head start for when I want the d44 to go in. I know everyone is not a fan of the d35, but I figure it will be OK if I rebuild it and run an open carrier. I have the non C-clip version 35
Unread 10-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #275
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Why not do both now? ......wait, that is a terrible idea. Wait until you are done with the 44 and send me the 4.88 stuff! I dont know what you are thinking. The non c clip d35 is a strong axle. If you have a 4.88 set then I say go for doing both. Leave the 44 alone for now and see how much pounding the 35 will take. You always amaze me with the stuff you manage to do. Where did you get the 4.88 stuff at and how much?
Unread 10-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #276
Hard_oNe
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with your choice. There is a saying that ones initial decision is usually the right one.
Hard_oNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #277
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Why not do both now? ......wait, that is a terrible idea. Wait until you are done with the 44 and send me the 4.88 stuff! I dont know what you are thinking. The non c clip d35 is a strong axle. If you have a 4.88 set then I say go for doing both. Leave the 44 alone for now and see how much pounding the 35 will take. You always amaze me with the stuff you manage to do. Where did you get the 4.88 stuff at and how much?
That was my thinking for that option as well but it would mean that I wouldn't have 4x4 until I could do the front axle. But this may be better than just fixing what I have now and having it be a dog on the highway. Plus it would mean that ALL the bearings would be good and I wouldn't have to open it back up until I blow it up

I picked them up at the beginning of this build, not sure if I mentioned it. But they're Alloy USA 4.88s and I bought them NIB from a guy in Lancaster. I'm in them about 300 bucks for both gearsets and the d30 master rebuild kit.

I have those gears, AtoZ tube step rockers, and TJ rubicon flares waiting to be installed after I work out all these bugs. Unfortunately I've been having to deal with problems or this thread would be a lot more exciting haha
Unread 10-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #278
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You lucked out! I still think you should sell them to me! Lol

If you are going to take it down for the winter then wait and do it right. There is no point in doing half a job. Do it right the first time. I do think you run the 35. Keep the 44 as to do project until you break the 35.
Unread 10-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #279
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I thought people were unfair to the 35 until I started poking around on mine. Its walls were so thin, it was light and you can tell they went cheap on it...it has a plastic drain cap.

Imagine something minor breaking on the D35 and having to dump more money it. You can sell it as to an I6 wrangler needing the 4.10 gears and get $150 towards your 44.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #280
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You lucked out! I still think you should sell them to me! Lol If you are going to take it down for the winter then wait and do it right. There is no point in doing half a job. Do it right the first time. I do think you run the 35. Keep the 44 as to do project until you break the 35.
I hear ya on the "do it right the first time", but I think I'm running out of time as far as warm weather goes. Not sure if I have enough room in the garage to pull it in again too, so my work will be done on the street (driveway is a hill). I have had the rear gearset on craigslist trying to see if there was any interest in them but not takers yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
I thought people were unfair to the 35 until I started poking around on mine. Its walls were so thin, it was light and you can tell they went cheap on it...it has a plastic drain cap. Imagine something minor breaking on the D35 and having to dump more money it. You can sell it as to an I6 wrangler needing the 4.10 gears and get $150 towards your 44.
That is my thinking on keeping it 4.10, but then again who would swap axles for another d35 when 8.8's are readily available with 4.10 gearing. That will have to wait to be seen I guess Another development.. my part searching has lead me to find a good used Motive Gear 4.88 thick cut gearset for 65 bucks on ebay for my d44. I popped on them, so they'll be here this week. Therefore, I'm still leaning towards option 2. Replacing bad bearings and double checking backlash / tooth pattern on reassembly. I also have a 0-60 in/lb torque wrench, MHC dial indicator, and d35 master rebuild kit on the way. I'll need to stop at harbor freight for a bearing splitter and socket drive adapters as well. Que if you're seriously interested in the rear 4.88s let me know. I don't see a point it regearing the d35 with my d44 4.88s on the way.
Unread 10-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #281
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

We will be talking. I am interested.
Unread 10-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #282
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My in-lb torque wrench and d44 4.88 gears showed up last night.

For those who are interested, Motive Gear #D44-488GX (listed for 03-06 rubicon models only) will work in any D44 with 3.73 and numerically lower carrier. I put an email into Motive Gear after looking the gears over/researching since I was worried it was listed wrong on eBay. The Motive Gear rep said that it'll work for the lower-gear carriers and that they've never marketed it correctly for other applications other than it's original application (03-06 rubicon). I even compared them to the G2 thick gears and they were the same.

Pic of Motive Gear d44 4.88s compared to the Alloy USA d35 4.88

I've always seen pictures of them side by side but was surprised by the size difference in person. The d30 gears are even smaller than the d35 that too

R&P install kit, and dial indicator are due in by the end of the week so I'm on track for doing the repair this weekend (weather permitting ) . I just have to make a run to Harbor Freight for the Bearing splitter and drive adapters
Unread 10-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #283
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaef89
My in-lb torque wrench and d44 4.88 gears showed up last night. For those who are interested, Motive Gear #D44-488GX (listed for 03-06 rubicon models only) will work in any D44 with 3.73 and numerically lower carrier. I put an email into Motive Gear after looking the gears over/researching since I was worried it was listed wrong on eBay. The Motive Gear rep said that it'll work for the lower-gear carriers and that they've never marketed it correctly for other applications other than it's original application (03-06 rubicon). I even compared them to the G2 thick gears and they were the same. Pic of Motive Gear d44 4.88s compared to the Alloy USA d35 4.88 I've always seen pictures of them side by side but was surprised by the size difference in person. The d30 gears are even smaller than the d35 that too R&P install kit, and dial indicator are due in by the end of the week so I'm on track for doing the repair this weekend (weather permitting ) . I just have to make a run to Harbor Freight for the Bearing splitter and drive adapters
Nice man, ull love the dana 44. If u break ne shafts or need ne misc parts let me no. I have a bunch laying around from my dana 44 and I no where there is another at a local junkyard. If have 2 sets of spare shafts tho from before putting in the chromos. I went with the g2 gears tho cuz I got a killer deal $150 bucs, I have motive gears up front tho with no issues. They r both the same company but the g2 performance series is made in an old dana factory so it 100% to original specs, made on the same machines them at made the originals. Atleast that's what the guy in the phone told me when I bought them lol
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #284
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Little (non)-update.. I now have all the tools I need to get into the rear axle as of friday night. I Ended up going paintballing for the first time all day Saturday, then out for wings and beer. The plan was to wake up Sunday, head home and start on car work, but crap Pittsburgh drivers/traffic had other plans. I guess someone rolled their SUV on 79S and it took us 1.5 hours longer to get home (finally got home by 3pm). Had to do an oil change/tire rotation on the lady's g5 and by then it was about 5, so I decided to tackle my Grand Cherokee's tie rod end. I failed so horribly after 3 hours trying to spin it out that I gave up and put it back together. I finally got it out last night after removing the entire tie rod from the vehicle and putting it in a bench vice + 24" pipe wrench + 15 min of propane torch (geez).

As far as the wrangler goes, I'd like to have a full day for the d35 fix in case I run into any snags. I also think I'm going to pick up some gear marking compound from Advance. The container in the kit only netted me a pea size blob of yellow compound. This weekend's weather forecast looks to be promising with sun/clouds all weekend so I'm shooting for one of those days to fix it. It's been nothing but crappy rainy days over the last week and a half.
Unread 10-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #285
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I got home today and buckled down on the jeep. Took me from 5p to 10p but I got both pinion bearings replaced.

My pinion preload ended up at 20 in-lbs which is smack dab in the middle of the range (15-25 in-lbs in the FSM). I will say that making that crush sleeve collapse is a ***** to say the least!

I then checked the backlash and landed on .008" which is within the FSM range of .005-.009". Ran the pattern and it looked good so I decided to button it up and all 4 are back on the ground now. Only thing left is to fill the diff with gear oil and run a test drive to see how good I did.

Here are the pics I have. Sorry I didn't do step by step like usual but I was mostly working in the dark and was trying to move fast

Drive Coast

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.