Schaef's 89 YJ "build" - Page 18 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Schaef's 89 YJ "build"

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #256
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Nice.

Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #257
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

231 tear-down

Well I got my brother's old tcase from my parent's place over the labor day weekend. It was known to need a new front output bearing and today I finally got around to tearing it down

tail cone was broken : I'm either going to JB weld it or hopefully someone with one laying around will respond to my help thread and let me take their extension housing off their hands.

under the pickup filter on the back-half

Anyone know if this is RTV or a special washer?

Pads are toast on this fork only

looks like it was rubbing without pads for awhile

bad bearing

The outer race was completely cracked/shattered. I've never seen a bearing this bad. This was how it came out

New bearing installed

I have to order some parts so I'm hanging it up until they come in. I think the bearing went due to lack of fluid delivery. When I removed the pump, the tube was not even connected to the pump and there was no O-ring. I'm assuming all the metal on the magnet was from the bearing since I could move it with my fingers 1/4" in any direction and all the balls were pitted.

Someone was definitely in this tcase before though and it seems they did not do a good job .
schaef89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #258
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaef89 View Post
Anyone know if this is RTV or a special washer?

It's a little rubber washer, has serrations around the outside, kinda like the teeth on a circular saw blade, but it's all soft rubber.

Quote:
tail cone was broken : I'm either going to JB weld it or hopefully someone with one laying around will respond to my help thread and let me take their extension housing off their hands.
I have a tail cone sitting in my pile-O-parts for free, but not sure you want to pay shipping cost from HI to PA. Would likely fit in flat rate priority box either medium or large so would be $16 max-ish. If you can't find one closer to you let me know, it's been laying around since I did my SYE.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #259
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Opi, I'll be I touch if I go that way

I realized this morning that the back half of the case was completely missing the output inner bearing. Too late to order since I put my parts order through last night to q-tec. Called Advance and they should have it in tomorrow morning
Unread 09-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #260
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks Opi, I'll be I touch if I go that way

I realized this morning that the back half of the case was completely missing the output inner bearing

How could someone possibly do that???!!!!! Hopefully it wasn't run that way much as it will/would wallow out the recess and the bearing wouldn't fit right. When I rebuild stuff, I just get the whole entire rebuilt kit that has everything in it, tear thru the case and replace all the bearings, seals, the synchros, etc. Ends up costing less for me that way. Gotta admit though, those sunken case bearings take one hell of a pilot bearing puller to get those things out. At least that one you don't have to fight with to get it out........

My tail cone has a new bushing installed in it on the output end, and new seal. I rebuilt the T-case, then 3 mos later tore it down again and put in the SYE that I did the "SYE with T case still in Jeep" writeup on the forum. Will start digging around in the garage to find the stinkin' thing in the pile just in case you do need it.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 07:14 AM   #261
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well I decided to take a chance on jbweld so we'll see how that adventure turns out. Thanks to Opi and others who offered their old ext housing for cost of shipping though!

I got my parts in from Qtec a day early and had some time after work last night to start reassembling. I had to add the missing pump o-ring, missing inner output bearing, then replace the front output bearing and mode fork pads on the inner fork.

New front seal

New output inner bearing. Good thing I had a shop press for this or it would have been difficult

Getting there. I installed the spring on the shaft after I took the pic

Back half on. I'm assuming the pump tube install would be easier if you put it on the back half before mating it to the front. Got it on there tho

And done! Going in the jeep this weekend after I grab some fluids from the parts store. Maybe I'll scrub it down with simple green before install

All in all I'm about 85 bucks into this case with the cost of the case and parts combined. Hopefully it treats me well until sye time comes
Unread 09-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #262
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

"Rebuilt" tcase is in the jeep, got the trans refilled and the tcase partially filled because I underestimated how much ATF I had in my garage (about .5-1 quart low).

I also fixed my backup lights by correcting the switch location. I got them backwards when I installed the trans and didn't want to drain fluid to switch em.

I'll be breaking into this sometime over the winter to find out what exactly was wrong (picture right after removal). I'm thinking the chain was stretched but we'll see

I went around greasing fittings but my adapter wasn't sealing right on the zerks for the u-joints and was just squirting grease around the fitting/adapter joint and not through the zerk. I'm thinking they have a different style? I guess ill be researching that shortly
Unread 09-17-2013, 06:34 AM   #263
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well it's all buttoned back up and I've tested it twice in and out of 4wd, worked fine. Then I removed the front driveshaft to grease the ujoints/slip yoke and now my transfercase won't shift out of 4wd.

Started a thread here
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/n.../#post16074545
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:53 PM   #264
Nannerhammock
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just picked up a 95 YJ and my frame looks like yours. Actually mine is a little worse, scaly rust all over the whole thing. I read through this whole thread and you did some good work on patching it up. You have any interest in selling that spare frame if you haven't already done so?
Nannerhammock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #265
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nannerhammock
I just picked up a 95 YJ and my frame looks like yours. Actually mine is a little worse, scaly rust all over the whole thing. I read through this whole thread and you did some good work on patching it up. You have any interest in selling that spare frame if you haven't already done so?
Welcome to the club! Lol. I actually am undecided on selling the frame but I've promised it to PA_YJ19 if I do sell. Are you going to start at build thread?

In other news I've fixed the 4wd situation. It was actually the vacuum switch
Unread 09-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #266
Nannerhammock
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks! haha

Yea I am going to when I get some more done on it. Trying to get the tub off first to see how bad the frame really is. Started on that a little but haven't made much progress. I got the jeep for free from my girlfriends dad, so I guess I can't complain too much. It ran and I drove it around my yard before I started ripping into it. Just hoping to get it on the road and inspected before the snow starts flying. Probably going to go the route you did for now and plate the frame in spots and keep an eye out for a frame to swap later. Keep in touch if you want to sell the extra and he doesn't take it off your hands. Keep up the good work too. Ill be watching your thread
Unread 09-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #267
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Getting the jeep for free started you off on the right track haha. I will keep you in mind but I have the feeling I'll be doing a frame swap myself at some point.

Let me know if you need any advice on plating since I've been there. I'll keep at eye out for your thread on here
Unread 09-18-2013, 08:15 PM   #268
Nannerhammock
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks brother. Ill let you know if I need any help. I'm sure I will with as bad as this is.
Unread 09-24-2013, 07:01 AM   #269
HajdukCW
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm a new owner of an 89 YJ now and I have to say once I started reading your thread I couldn't stop. Keep up the good work and you can bet I'll be following your progress since a lot of work that I need to do on mine you have already done. Question for you though, the first thing I need to tackle when I get back stateside is my frame rot by the rear passenger side shackle. Did you cut out all the rusted parts and weld it directly into the frame or just clean it up and weld it over? You inspired me by your final result on your floor plans and interior so that will be my second project. I'm in afghanistan right now but when I get home I'll be starting a thread and hopefully picking your brain if you don't mind. Take it easy
HajdukCW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #270
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukCW View Post
I'm a new owner of an 89 YJ now and I have to say once I started reading your thread I couldn't stop. Keep up the good work and you can bet I'll be following your progress since a lot of work that I need to do on mine you have already done. Question for you though, the first thing I need to tackle when I get back stateside is my frame rot by the rear passenger side shackle. Did you cut out all the rusted parts and weld it directly into the frame or just clean it up and weld it over? You inspired me by your final result on your floor plans and interior so that will be my second project. I'm in afghanistan right now but when I get home I'll be starting a thread and hopefully picking your brain if you don't mind. Take it easy
Thanks. The first time I fixed the shackle area (driver side) i cut the bad stuff out as much as I could, but I just ended up having to redo it anyways because the surrounding area rusted through again around my patch. Once it rots you're pretty much done unless you completely rebuild that area of the frame.

The second time I bought a 6 piece kit that a member on the forum sells. They were 1/8th inch plate, 3 pieces for each side, and cover up the entire shackle area from the rear crossmember up to the gas tank crossmember. For this i wire wheeled the hell out of the rusted areas after pounding them with a 5lb hammer so all the flakes came out. Now that I think about it, I should really have bought the internal frame coating in addition to painting the outside. I also used one of the side plates in the kit as a template to make my fuel filter area plates. I re-plated that area because I did not want to have to drop the tank again if that went bad too. The contour for the filter area is identical to the shackle area so it fit perfect.

I'll be keeping an eye out for that thread when you start it. Good luck on yours and if you need anything I'd be glad help out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.