Schaef's 89 YJ "build" - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Schaef's 89 YJ "build"

Introducing the CUPHOLSTER @ OCONEE OFF ROAD 706 534 9955Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comBlack Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHut

Unread 01-14-2013, 07:00 AM   #181
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It was nice out yesterday so I popped the hood on the jeep and looked over the connections. Verified that everything was connected and that the pigtails weren't corroded. Everything looked good, so the next step is to start testing sensors. I'm going to start with cts and o2 as Que suggested. Before I do that I want to punch out the cat to make sure I don't have exhaust restrictions during tests (got red hot twice now, so it's got to go either way).

I also might check for weak spark, but have to grab a spark tester next time I'm at the parts store.

Oh, and my valve cover is leaking as well.. lol :

schaef89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2013, 07:05 AM   #182
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I hope your new place has garage space.It's going to be cold in Pitt!
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #183
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
I hope your new place has garage space.It's going to be cold in Pitt!
It does have garage space.. The Problem is my 93 is currently in there awaiting it's fate, as well as a storage locker full of boxes/containers But it's actually been in the 50s and 60s lately here (65 yesterday) which has been really nice.

I'm currently working on the 89 on a grassy hill next to my driveway. I think the jeep would be about 6" too tall for the garage anyways. I haven't measured but I'm pretty sure it's only a 6' high opening lol
Unread 01-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #184
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

LOL you are not all that far from me in Michigan. That 60 degree weather is just trying to pull you outside and then....reality of a northern winter and 20 degrees highs set in! I havent heard you talk about the 93 at all. Is it a future project Jeep?
Unread 01-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #185
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't talked about it much on here other than post #59 and glimpses of it in the background of pictures. I also did start a thread with my intended plan, but that has since fell by the wayside.

I got it from a straight across trade for my old 00 cavalier. It's a 4.0l, auto, abs, A/C YJ. I got it with the intent of fixing it up for my sister who's turning 16 next year. It needs body sheetmetal patches and (what I thought) easy frame welding. Turns out the frame is beyond fixing, having angle iron welded under the skid plate holding it together, etc etc. I went as far as getting a replacement frame but kept finding things that would nickel and dime the project. This consequently made the body a lost cause, having rusted out fenders, rear valance, and some floor sections. It also burns oil bad because the PO thought it was ok to run it 4 quarts low (found that gem in my driveway after the trade). It was just beat.

So I'm contemplating parting it out slowly or selling whole. Or keeping what I need for a 4.0 swap, rebuilding the engine and putting it into my 89. All I would need is a manual computer and ax-15, maybe driveshafts. Then parting out the rest. I just hate to kill it because it really does drive nice, just had a rough life.
Unread 01-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #186
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds to me like the electrical system and the trans/tcase is salvagable for a 4.0L swap but the rest of it should be let go. You should be able to find a better engine for a swap then one that has been beat up. Find your sis a more reliable Jeep. The last thing you want is her driving a Jeep in the cold and have to worry about it being unreliable.
Unread 01-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #187
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Sounds to me like the electrical system and the trans/tcase is salvagable for a 4.0L swap but the rest of it should be let go. You should be able to find a better engine for a swap then one that has been beat up. Find your sis a more reliable Jeep. The last thing you want is her driving a Jeep in the cold and have to worry about it being unreliable.
That was my reasoning exactly Not too keen on the auto though. I'd def want to wait for a 5spd to come along if I set my mind to the swap. If I can't get this 4 banger to run right I might just dive in lol. Chances are it's something I overlooked hooking up or a bad sensor as you said earlier so we'll see
Unread 01-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #188
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I did some research on my issue last night and checked some things over. The injector is definitely not stuck open so I'll move onto the cts resistance test tonight.
Unread 02-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #189
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Since we got a heat wave here in Pittsburgh (50 deg) I headed outside to do some testing.

blocked exhaust check

I started by punching out the cat to rule out a blocked exhaust. Turns out it was blocked as my throttle response went from non-existent to marginal.

spark plugs/wires test

I started pulling spark plugs and testing plug wire resistances

#1 plug wire resistance: 5.45k Ohm

#2 plug wire resistance: 5.65k Ohm

#3 plug wire resistance: 6.33k Ohm

#4 plug wire resistance: 5.11k Ohm

Coil/Dist wire resistance: 5.71k Ohm

I'm not quite sure what the resistance should be but after some research online it looks like the resistances should be about 4-5k ohms per 1 foot of wire? If that's the case then I need to replace all of them because most of the wires are only 8" long

I've also swapped the #3 and #2 plug wire and it seems that the look of the plug swapped (wet on 2 was now dry, dry on 3 was now wet). So I think I have inconsistent spark on #2 caused by the wire

o2 sensor test

The o2 sensor was tested between terminals A and B (yellow and black) and found a resistance of 7.3 ohms (spec says 5-7 ohms). It looks like my o2 is slightly out of spec and should be up for replacement.

I also measured between gray and black and got 158 ohms. I'm not sure what this was supposed to measure because the book says nothing about these terminals as far as i read.

cts sensor test

The cts in the jeep now tested at 1.42k Ohms and the temp sensor showed below 100* (although I think the temp sensor wire may be faulty after the head install). This was also after running it for 5 min and driving around the block, however the manifold was just warm to the touch. I'll have to double check the one in there when the jeep is completely cold.

I've bench tested the other two sensors i have (old stock one, and spare i had). At outside temp (50*) they both had a reading of 6.5k ohms, then i put my hand around one while measuring and it went to 2.5k ohms at body temp. This seems that both are in working order so I have good replacements if the one in the jeep is bad.

other news

My Voltmeter gauge no longer works lol. However I verified with a voltmeter that the battery is charging at 14.5v. So i have a wiring issue somewhere in the charging circuit

As stated above I think my temp gauge is no longer reading correctly. I'll have to see if the sending unit has a test i can run or if it's the wire
Unread 02-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #190
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It's a resistance check for the temp sensor. The o2 sounds fine. Not quite that warm here yet. Keep giving all the good info. I am going to use your info when I pull my tub in a couple weeks and start my fiberglass tub.
Unread 02-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #191
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It's a resistance check for the temp sensor. The o2 sounds fine. Not quite that warm here yet. Keep giving all the good info. I am going to use your info when I pull my tub in a couple weeks and start my fiberglass tub.
I didn't know you were going fiberglass. Your tub too far gone?
Unread 02-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #192
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The tub has no rust but needs some work. I got a deal on the glass I couldn't pass up. Everything new in the box: fenders, tub, windshield, glass and rubber for 1500. I an dealing with a 6 year old car showing rust from the salt. Since I needed to pull the tub anyways to do the repair I am going to do the glass.
Unread 02-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #193
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The tub has no rust but needs some work. I got a deal on the glass I couldn't pass up. Everything new in the box: fenders, tub, windshield, glass and rubber for 1500. I an dealing with a 6 year old car showing rust from the salt. Since I needed to pull the tub anyways to do the repair I am going to do the glass.
Wow that *is* a good deal... now you are gonna have to run separate ground wires for everything tho, since the glass doesn't conduct...
Unread 02-21-2013, 07:32 AM   #194
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So I went through the FSM and came up with this for testing spark plug wires

image-614796628.jpg

Before I found that I went out and grabbed a new set of wires and since finding that I figured I'd test them. The tested WORSE than the ones in my jeep so they'll be going back today

I did pick up a set of stock champion coppers to throw in. I'm thinking the autolites in there may be bad. And I'll do another compression test while replacing the plugs just to triple check
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:00 AM   #195
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

They usually run 6/9k ohm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.