SBC wire conversion help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > SBC wire conversion help

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
rollover755

1992 YJ Wrangler 

SBC wire conversion help

I took out my 4.o and put in a SBC, does anyone know what wires i need to save to power my column and inside power?? I already know i need hot to coil and a starter wire but now i cant figure out how to get power back in Jeep...

rollover755 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:10 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Google is your friend:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...oogle-1003734/
You get this list:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ng&safe=active

Are you using a stock wiring harness or are you using a painless? Do you have wiring diagrams for the SBC and the wiring harness you are using to wire? Do you have a multimeter to measure the voltages for rewiring?
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
rollover755

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm going to try to use the Stock harness on the jeep, so all I need it the main power wires going from Battery to dash/firewall to power everything, from that point I can Find power and starter wires for Chevy motor. I've hooked up 2 main (red bigger wires) and still nothing....
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #4
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

is it carbed or injected?

if it's carbed, it's just the coil hot, preferrably through a relay triggered by the key switch (yellow wire I believe) and the trigger wire for the starter (also through a relay, triggered by the key switch - brown?)
that and your grounds should get you at least running... then there's wiring for your gauges and such you'll need to hook up, but they're not NEEDED for initial start

if it's injected, then there are more wires, and it depends on which injection you have
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Theres a bunch of info and links to diagrams somewhere in my swap thread

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a link with a real simple wiring diagram. You need to get power to the fuses
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...20diagrams.pdf

You need power to your fuse block too.
Look at 5 to fire:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/5...l-swap-357865/
Unread 10-24-2013, 09:35 AM   #7
rollover755

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, I will for sure look over these diagrams.... Yes it is Carbed.. I know how to find the Coil and starter wire(test light) I just cant get power to my Firewall yet since i removed the harness and cut out all the injected wires...
Unread 10-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So you gutted the bulkhead connector before you figured out the power wires......oops!
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
rollover755

1992 YJ Wrangler 

ummmmm, yea !! I guess i just figured the 2 bigger red wires were what i needed from Battery and then figured that is wouldn't be hard to figure out later, well here I am without power to tub.... I basically took the whole harness out on the bench and started cutting about everything... I dont want the fuse/relay box that is mounted near the battery, I just want to get power to the inner fuse box and steering column (so all my lights work) and then I can figure out the Hot wire for coil and starter wire.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.