sattelite radios - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > sattelite radios

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-18-2006, 08:57 AM   #1
scruffyjon

sattelite radios

I'm thinking of putting in a sirius stereo in my jeep, but not sure where the antenna should go. It's a plug-n-play radio, so I can take the radio with me, but I want the antenna to be permament. Any ideas where to install it so it doesn't look stupid?

scruffyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2006, 09:29 AM   #2
bryris
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I will be installing my XM soon and will have the same problem. I think that I will actually (not fully sure yet) install my antenna on the inside of the vehicle. Perhaps on that little ledge behind the rear seat. Could attach it to one of the roll bars back there. I dunno. Most people have cars and the typically spot is on the trunk door, up against the back window. But with a Jeep, if you put the antenna on the back hatch, you're signal will only work when driving in certain directions.
bryris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2006, 09:36 AM   #3
blue1989yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe just behind hood vent in center. You could also try on the front windshield. I know that some car manufacturers are mounting them up there now.
Unread 05-18-2006, 09:40 AM   #4
pezley69
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have sirrius. I installed my attenae on top of my sound bar that is over my head. I just tucked it in the "wrap" that goes around it and ran the wires inside my roll bar covers. It works just fine. I think the higher the better. I would think on top of the roll bar somewhere would be perfect. I get great reception with the soft top on or off.

Hope this helps.

Pez
Unread 05-18-2006, 09:40 AM   #5
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Since you do not have a metal roof, anywhere in the interior would work fine; the less visible from prying eyes, the better!
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2006, 10:54 AM   #6
lutzke21
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I placed my XM antenna on the very front of the driver's side roll bar. I'll try to get a pic later today. It's out of sight and the strong magnet holds it in place very well.

'94 YJ on 35s

JULY 2013 YJOTM
lutzke21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2006, 12:46 PM   #7
vertresq

I ran mine through the firewall and placed it on the hood right in the center in front of the cowl vent. Works perfectly well, but I don't usually keep my XM in there unless I'm riding it, and then lock the head unit up in the center console to take it with me

93 YJ 6 cyl manual stock (almost)
99 Honda Accord
99 Acura TL
2006 Grand Cherokee Laredo
vertresq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2006, 12:53 PM   #8
King03Kev
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Hey, recently in quadratec or 4wd they are selling satelite antenna mounts for roll bars that seem to mount to the main hoop with a velcro strap/magnetic mount. I think they were 19-20 dollars.
kevyj87 '87 I6 5spd, 215,000+ miles, Herced, Nuttered, Weber, HEI, RE 4", 1" BL, 4:11's, np231, 33x12.5's, SYE & shaft, 1" brown dog mm, home made bumpers front & rear, Ramsey 8,000lb winch
King03Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2006, 01:21 PM   #9
Eric_D
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertresq
I ran mine through the firewall and placed it on the hood right in the center in front of the cowl vent. Works perfectly well, but I don't usually keep my XM in there unless I'm riding it, and then lock the head unit up in the center console to take it with me
My YJ had one installed in the same place when I got it. The wire then just runs down and through the firewall and comes out under the dash.
Eric_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2006, 02:06 PM   #10
raStapiMpjaY
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I had mine mounted in several locations....

first, i went through the firewall into the engine bay and had it centered on the hood approx 6" in front of the back of the hood where it meets the firewall.... within minutes, DIASTER... the folding of the hood cracked the fiberoptics in the cable... had to get a new antenna

second, i just reandomly threw it on my rollbar (one of the side rear ones) as a temp measure cause i was going to install a tuffy and rerout everything.... it worked perfectly...

NOW, i have a rockhard4x4 cage with the front center overhead piece... it put it on top of that it is covered by padding & rollbar cover material and i have the wire run under the roll bar padding... PERFECT SIGNAL... even with a hardtop, softop and no top at all...

and the best part about this location... NOONE can tell i have Sirius sat radio... let alone a radio at all... i have an aftermarket headunit so i only had to get the Sirius converter box .... i put the stereo in the tuffy and the coverter box in the main tuffy unit itself... not one problem and its protected

and where the radio USED to be is just an empty spot with the factory wires just cut.... perfect theft deterent (plus the seats are black as is the tuffy so you dont even notice it)
raStapiMpjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2006, 04:14 PM   #11
raysnutt18
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have XM and the place I put the ant. is up front on the hood where the hood ornament would normally be at....I ran the cable down the right side under the hood itself and then at the battery it drops down under the jeep where I punched a small hole up high in the passenger floorboard and then took it behind the A/C drain hose on the hump and then up next to the steering wheel
raysnutt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2006, 04:41 PM   #12
sequel

I have mine on the sound bar underneath the flap over the passengers head. Works with the soft top on. Love having my sirius in my jeep.
285/75R16 Dunlop Mud Rovers
sequel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2006, 05:37 PM   #13
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

Top of the dashpad in the middle. Been there for over a year and works great. Even with my hardtop on.

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2010, 04:57 AM   #14
gmfcma
2002 TJ Wrangler 

gmfcma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2010, 05:06 AM   #15
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i put mine on the roll bar like everyone is ssaying but had terrible problems with signals fading out. Now its run through the firewall to the top of the hood cebtered between the washer sprayers. Never a problem with signal and you cant hardly notice it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.