Sanden On Board Air Tutorial Install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Sanden On Board Air Tutorial Install

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 11-04-2013, 11:46 PM   #1
djfred
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Sanden On Board Air Tutorial Install

I wanted to do another On Board Air Tutorial/Walkthrough, but with more details on what items to buy and from where. I would like to thank E_Rock for his original Post on this. Started this project about a year ago and finally got time to put it all together.

Will start off by saying the most important part of this setup is the compressor itself. My compressor wasn't new. I got it from an online junk yard search engine. Click ME . This place is awesome. You fill out your jeep's information and what you are looking for then fill out your personal information. I normally provide only my email. In about 5-10 min you will get tons of emails from different junk yards around the nation with the price and condition of the item you are looking for. I got the compressor shipped to my house for $38.

Here is the Sanden SD-709 Sticker

The next set of pictures are the parts I used to put everything together. Not in any special order.

Here is the start of the project.

Now lets zoom in a bit to the Inlet part of the compressor. What I have here is a regular cone type filter that runs into an
inline oiler.

From the outlet of the compressor, I have made the first stop at the
oil/water separator then over to the check valve. The check valve is used when the
pressure in the tank is high. The air will not return into the compressor and cause damage.
After the check valve, the air goes into a pressure switch that will turn off the
compressor at 145PSI and will start it back up at 110PSI. The hose you see at the bottom
of the oil separator is my oil drain line. When the separator gets full, I run the engine
at about 2500RPM to get enough pressure to blow the oil out.

Here is where the drain line runs.

Here is a wide shot of the line

Here is the setup of the line.

Looking below from the drivers side, this is where the line comes from the top

Again below the drivers seat here is where the line is routed to
<br>

The tank is mounted on the bottom of the drivers side. Here is a top view. The outlet from the compressor comes in the tank,
where I have 2 outputs from the tank going to the front and rear. I also have a blow out valve rated at 175PSI

Here is the rear output line

This is the front output line

Front D30 (4.88 w/ Powertrax No-Slip) -- Rear 8.8 (4.88 w/ ARB) -- Front Custom Bumper -- Custom Side Rock Guards -- Dual Snorkel (Coming Soon)
djfred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 11:47 PM   #2
djfred
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Now onto the wiring. If you get a Sanden with original plug, it should snugly fit into the OE female plug. This plug is located right under the jack mount.

Here is another view of that plug location

That female plug runs into the fuse box next to the battery. If you do not want to splice into the original plug,
then this is one way of doing it. Since it was waterproof, I wanted to leave it as that. If you did not have a factory
AC compressor, then this location in the fuse box will be empty.

After running a pressure test for two weeks, I can successfully say there is no drop in pressure.

Below is a spreadsheet of the parts I used for this project and its costs.

Front D30 (4.88 w/ Powertrax No-Slip) -- Rear 8.8 (4.88 w/ ARB) -- Front Custom Bumper -- Custom Side Rock Guards -- Dual Snorkel (Coming Soon)
Unread 11-04-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
djfred
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Reserved
Unread 02-27-2014, 07:27 PM   #4
rbkelley89
2001 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for your message to this thread. Since you plan on adding an arb in the rear where are you going to get that air from the tank and put you regulator and solinoids close by?
2001 orange tj 2.5L (113,000) 35" Km2 Black rims D lp 30 Front and d 44 rear with ARB 1"BD MML, 1.25" BL, 4" RC Lift, Flat tc Skid, Adj rear ca's (front soon) TW rear DS, Novak shifter cable, JB ss SYE, RE angled rear trackbar, 8,000Lb Mile marker, Custom front and rear (w/swing) bumpers. Homemade CAI. Lots more to come.
rbkelley89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 09:28 PM   #5
djfred
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I will run the line from under the hood. The gauge that you see under the hood will be moved soon inside the cabin.
Does that make sense.
Unread 02-28-2014, 07:10 AM   #6
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome write up. Subscribed for future reference.
Unread 02-28-2014, 09:18 AM   #7
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You will LOVE it!

I run dual ARB's with my Sanden. Get yourself a manifold to distribute your air to where it is needed. Makes it a lot more simple.

Just be aware, you will be the last to leave a trail...Everyone will want what you got, air. I have filled 6 jeeps worth of tires at a time.

I went a different route with the compressor, though. Got an Extreme Aire compressor, they are new, then rebuilt with Timken bearings so it doesn't need an oiler. But it was a lot more costly than your $38 compressor, mine was $350...
I also put the tank, mine is smaller that yours, under the dual battery tray, so it was easier to plumb up.
Also used soft copper tube, 3/8 inch dia, as plumbing.
I tried rubber hose as plumbing, but it melted. That is why I used the soft copper.
Added up the cost of mine and it was right around $525, all inclusive less the ARB stuff.

I do admit to oogleing a small electric compressor to run the lockers with, though. This is a very large system running for a very small need, the lockers.

jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2014, 09:26 AM   #8
djfred
1992 YJ Wrangler 

thanx @Kuntryboy816

@jeepster93 , i was thinking of doing the one block manifold way but for some reason i wasn't finding a cheap one,
but i have been thinking to go that route. And it looks like a clean setup.
Unread 02-28-2014, 09:32 AM   #9
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

For an affordable manifold...I went to Northern Tool(mail order).
Kilby wanted like 75 smacks for one and Northern tool was 17 for basically the same thing.
Unread 02-28-2014, 10:28 AM   #10
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

For those who woud rather use grease than oil for the compressor.
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/en...rd-air-system/
I do not care what they say you still need a separter.
Unread 02-28-2014, 11:33 AM   #11
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

This is my air chuck. Only have 1 chuck, and use a 25 foot hose, that will reach all 4 tires.
Unread 02-28-2014, 11:58 AM   #12
djfred
1992 YJ Wrangler 

@TSEJEEPERS
your right, better safe then sorry
Unread 02-28-2014, 12:03 PM   #13
djfred
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Question for the guys running rubber hoses.
I have cracks on the outside of the hose but there isn't any leak.
What other method have you guys used that can stand heat better?
Unread 02-28-2014, 02:22 PM   #14
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfred
thanx @Kuntryboy816 @jeepster93 , i was thinking of doing the one block manifold way but for some reason i wasn't finding a cheap one, but i have been thinking to go that route. And it looks like a clean setup.
Check amazon for pencil manifolds. That is what I plan I doing for mine.

Can we get a shot of your serp belt with the idler installed?
Unread 02-28-2014, 02:32 PM   #15
djfred
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
Check amazon for pencil manifolds. That is what I plan I doing for mine.

Can we get a shot of your serp belt with the idler installed?
I just found one this morning on ebay for $5 it has 7 ports, which works perfectly.

I will put up the picture as soon as the weather here lets up...here in California are having what is called a "storm"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.