Same old carb problems - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Same old carb problems

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-03-2011, 10:46 AM   #31
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth0033 View Post
Looks like I have some things to do then. After installing the carburetor I was nervous about doing the nutter since I didn't know if it would pass emissions and I have also never adjusted timing before, little hesitant about doing it seeing that I could really mess something up. Also have never set vacuum using a gauge, kinda learning everything as I go, and whereas its not difficult, I just need to find time since this is my DD.
Timing and vacuum is easy those used to be the main thing before computers and injection. Have no fear, the worst you can do is the motor shut off if you go too far. For sure get a vacuum gauge and timing light at someplace like Sears Craftsman or at Autozone. Learn how to understand them and then do the Nutter like 4.7Stroker said. Be sure to twist the orange and purple wires pretty tight.

Damn I feel old that I can remember stuff.

You'll probably be OK for an inspect in PA (I'm in NY which is hairy) main thing is that it has to look stock even if it isn't.

Last edited by oldtime_ironman; 08-03-2011 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: whoops typo and add
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #32
Missouribound
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I just replaced my BBD with a Weber 32 / 36. No problems. I have NOT nuttered and probably will not. If I were you I would check for vacuum leaks, choke adjustment and timing...Well I kind of was you, and that's what I did. Everyone says do the nutter, but when I did the wiring for the nutter, I could not get it to start or even attempt to start. Sooo I put it back to original wiring and it started right up and runs absolutely great. I understand that that computer supposedly controls the timing....but apparently it does it in a way which helps performance. At least that is what I am seeing. Changing out the carb seems to be the key to better performance..
Missouribound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2011, 10:29 PM   #33
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribound View Post
I just replaced my BBD with a Weber 32 / 36. No problems. I have NOT nuttered and probably will not. If I were you I would check for vacuum leaks, choke adjustment and timing...Well I kind of was you, and that's what I did. Everyone says do the nutter, but when I did the wiring for the nutter, I could not get it to start or even attempt to start. Sooo I put it back to original wiring and it started right up and runs absolutely great. I understand that that computer supposedly controls the timing....but apparently it does it in a way which helps performance. At least that is what I am seeing. Changing out the carb seems to be the key to better performance..
as long as you don't have emissions testing, the nutter is always a good choice. If yours didn't start after doing the nutter, chances are you did something wrong
Unread 08-04-2011, 03:13 AM   #34
jeepdude1987
1987 YJ Wrangler 

So, JTH0033, you put the Motor Craft carb on and didn't do the Nutter bypass? Because if I understand you then this would probably be a major part of your problem. I have done the nutter by pass myself, and as I understand it (which is fairly well) the point of the nutter by-pass is that your computer is no longer messing with your timing so that you can then set your timing and it will run like a "normal" carbureted vehicle. And, as of = now since you haven't done the Nutter Bypass your computer is; 1) freaking out because it probably isn't getting all the info it should get from the sensors, 2) is trying to tune the carburetor for fuel mixture, and last but not least 3) jerking around your timing based off of the assumption that it is connected to all its sensors and the carburetor and still can sense and control what is actually happening with the whole system.

Unless, I am totally wrong about all this then I don't really know how anyone that changes out their carb, doesn't have a means of messing the new one into the emissions system could have their engine run well or ever pass an emissions test where they actually check the exhaust for chemical numbers.
jeepdude1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #35
jth0033
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yea I'm hoping to get my timing light tomorrow and have the nutter done tomorrow.
jth0033 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2011, 10:51 PM   #36
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Yea I'm hoping to get my timing light tomorrow and have the nutter done tomorrow.
super! miss my timing light, stolen with all my tools. bummer. time to build up again!
Unread 08-05-2011, 11:22 PM   #37
jth0033
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Welp timing light is taking way longer than I thought it was gonna take. Guess I should have just went and got one in the store. They say it should be shipped here Monday.
Unread 08-06-2011, 09:26 AM   #38
csrcn2
1989 YJ Wrangler 

How much did you pay for it?
csrcn2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2011, 06:00 PM   #39
jth0033
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Bought one from harbor freight. Cost me $15 shipped
Unread 08-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #40
csrcn2
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Good deal
Unread 08-06-2011, 10:42 PM   #41
jth0033
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Figured a timing light is a timing light and I won't be using it all that much. Shipped today, so I'm hoping I can wake up and complete the nutter. Hopefully she runs a little better once completed.
Unread 08-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #42
jth0033
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Done. Seems to run a 100% better than it did before. No more stumbling or drop of idle at stops. Now I just need to tuck the wires and make it look at nice.
Unread 08-08-2011, 06:16 AM   #43
csrcn2
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Glad to hear ya got it all worked out!
Unread 08-08-2011, 06:20 AM   #44
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Done. Seems to run a 100% better than it did before. No more stumbling or drop of idle at stops. Now I just need to tuck the wires and make it look at nice.
Glad to hear that!
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.