Same old carb problems - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Same old carb problems

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-12-2011, 10:48 PM   #16
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth0033 View Post
The carb sound pass I believe, dunno that the shop would seriously notice the difference, only that it looks new. I know nuttering probably won't pass emissions, thats why I never did it. I think to get antiques in PA it has to be 25 years but only 15 for classic. Thing is I think they have driving regulations on them, and this is my DD
should that say, the carb should pass?

You won't pass emissions either way, this is something you should have researched before changing the carb. The carter would have passed emissions, but once you went to the mc, you put a carb in there that has no idea about the computer and the computer still thinks the carter is in there. So it will still control everything, this is why you do the nutter.

In md, they have driving regs too, but they are not checked at all. Best bet is to get the classic....in md, this allows you to modify anything, not sure on PA, but it has to be better than the regular.

I think you need to see just what your state inspects, sounds like you aren't very sure. If they inspect emissions, they don't just take a look at your carb, they actually test the output of your exhaust, what you are putting into the atmosphere.

Unread 07-13-2011, 12:20 AM   #17
jth0033
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Are you asking if they inspect emissions with or without classic tags? With classic tags I am only subject to an annual safety check, that is all. They say on the form to apply for classic tags that the vehicle should only be used once a week and not be for general daily transportation. As I said the carburetor will pass with the timing not messed with, that I am sure of. I just worry that if I nutter and the timing is changed, come time for emissions it won't pass.

Changing carburetors I knew this was going to be a problem, but I have until next March to get it all figured out. Still possibly looking to get a daily driver and then just use the Jeep as a fun vehicle, I just have to save up some cash.
jth0033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2011, 07:47 PM   #18
jth0033
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhouse View Post

You won't pass emissions either way, this is something you should have researched before changing the carb. The carter would have passed emissions, but once you went to the mc, you put a carb in there that has no idea about the computer and the computer still thinks the carter is in there. So it will still control everything, this is why you do the nutter.
Why wouldn't the mc pass emissions tho? I understand your saying they test the outputs and such but didn't this carburetor once pass on trucks that had emissions, why would it be any different? Interested to see if any PA guys can help me out here.
Unread 07-15-2011, 11:26 PM   #19
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Why wouldn't the mc pass emissions tho? I understand your saying they test the outputs and such but didn't this carburetor once pass on trucks that had emissions, why would it be any different? Interested to see if any PA guys can help me out here.
Those trucks you mention had a system setup to take care of emissions, just as the carter did on your jeep. Honestly, I am not familiar with PA emissions testing, so I cannot say, but you have to keep in mind, you have removed a carb that was specifically setup to be emissions clean. The computer controls all those systems and works in conjunction with the carter. I know the weber has a conversion to use with the carter air cleaner system, but if you aren't finding something like that for the mc, it's a crapshoot. Again, I don't know your laws and i didn't go with an MC, hopefully someone can chime in who is more knowledgeable.
Unread 07-17-2011, 09:05 AM   #20
jth0033
1987 YJ Wrangler 

bump
Unread 07-17-2011, 10:25 AM   #21
csrcn2
1989 YJ Wrangler 

you will pass emissions in PA. All you have is a visual inspection that they will check for EGR and pulse air system, just rig it up for the day. Doesnt have to be functioning just had to be present. I just bought the same carb from the same guy for my 89 YJ and its been a month and while it runs much MUCH better it still requires some fine tuning.
csrcn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 04:25 PM   #22
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrcn2 View Post
you will pass emissions in PA. All you have is a visual inspection that they will check for EGR and pulse air system, just rig it up for the day. Doesnt have to be functioning just had to be present. I just bought the same carb from the same guy for my 89 YJ and its been a month and while it runs much MUCH better it still requires some fine tuning.
Great News, looks like you are all set!
Unread 07-17-2011, 07:38 PM   #23
jth0033
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well when it comes time I might have to figure out a way to rig up the pulse air, seeing that I capped that off haha. Thanks for the response. Looking to buy a vacuum gauge and timing light tomorrow to check and make sure everything is running smoothly.

Csrcn2: Have you nuttered your rig? Just curious.
Unread 07-17-2011, 08:45 PM   #24
csrcn2
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yes I have
Unread 07-17-2011, 09:03 PM   #25
jth0033
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Any way to conceal it? Just wondering cause that won't pass visual right?
Unread 07-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #26
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Any way to conceal it? Just wondering cause that won't pass visual right?
This part is pretty easy to "hide", though I would never advocate doing something illegal, but this is how I made it all neat, which IS what I advocate

Open your loom that the original wires came from (leading to the dizzy), stick the "new" wires in that loom, and close her up. Since the nutter at the ICM is underneath the radiator reservoir and washer reservoir, I doubt anyone visually inspecting is going to look with that much detail in mind.

I dont have inspections where I am, but I couldnt imagine them being that detail oriented (well, maybe in CA).

Side note: did you ever get the carb running right? The photos that I had sent you were done via email communication to the jeep guy, so if they are wrong, I need to know to (and so does the jeep guy!)....
jhumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 07:10 AM   #27
jth0033
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Running right? Haha well it still needs some fine tuning but that's about all. My idle is a little low but I hope to nutter, set timing and use a vacuum gauge to get it all running right. Just a little tweaking and it should be good I hope.
Unread 08-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #28
jth0033
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Still haven't nuttered yet but noticed today that the engine seems to run better when its cold. what could this have to do with?
Unread 08-03-2011, 06:16 AM   #29
csrcn2
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Possible vacuum leak.
Unread 08-03-2011, 06:17 AM   #30
csrcn2
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check your charcoal canister and vacuum reservoir and all hoses. My charcoal canister was leaking bad when I changed out carb and nuttered

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.