Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Safari Bikini top?

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  AustinCJer 
#1 ·
I have a couple kids and we want to use the Jeep when we go fishing. Since I only have a hard top and no cash for a soft top, what would you recommend? More than anything we want to keep the sun off of us and reduce the rain. I was looking at the Bestop Safari. Also, since I have a hard top, I will need a channel. Will this one work?
Amazon.com: Smittybilt 90101 Windshield Channel: Automotive

It is only $2.36 with free shipping. Since there was only 2 left, I ordered one. Figured I can return it if it is not right. There is still one left if anyone needs one.

So any advice on the tops? Experiences that would be helpful? Thanks :)

#2 ·
Oh, one last question. Does the channel have to be removed each time you switch from the Bikini to the Hard top?

#3 ·
I could'nt tell from the link if thats the correct rail, so good luck. The standard bikini rail is the same for a soft top... and mine screws on the top of the windshield frame.
Yes, it needs to be removed when installing the HT back on.
As far as function, the safari's work great. Whether running a bikini or a safari, it is more fun to wheel that way IMO.

WRM :cheers:

#4 ·
Yes, the channel will have to be removed when you put the hard top back on.

The Sarari top is nice to keep the sun off the rear passengers, but just a heads up it will not keep the rear compartment totally free from getting wet. The water will drip off it into the rear "trunk" area.

And the top only keeps you dry in light rain. For example, here in this pic it was raining hard most of the day. Notice the entire left side of me is wet.

#7 ·
And the top only keeps you dry in light rain. For example, here in this pic it was raining hard most of the day. Notice the entire left side of me is wet.

Rain? what rain? It does'nt rain out here. ;)

:D

#6 ·
That rail will not keep a safari top tight enough. The best top one is nice.

If you are interested, I have a windshield channel that I can sell you for cost of shipping. It has some wear but a coat of paint and new screws and you are all good.

#10 ·
I run a Bikini in the spring/summer here in FL and it's great for keeping the sun off but you WILL get wet. I guess you could add the wind jammer and full soft doors to cut down on how wet you get but at that point...

I returned my Safari top because it didnt keep the rain out...
It's a bikini top! :rofl:

Jake :tea:

#9 ·
Thanks for all of the input! I will get the safari and a bestop channel.

Axl, Looks like it was a fun day. Thanks for the example image. That puts it in perspective and looks dry enough for us. We just need to have something to jump under if it starts storming while fishing or someone is getting too hot.

Looking forward to pulling the hard top off for the part of the summer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.