S10 bastard pack installed in a YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > S10 bastard pack installed in a YJ

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-13-2009, 10:15 PM   #1
Uberjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

S10 bastard pack installed in a YJ

So I searched High and low looking for someone who had done the bastard pack setup in a YJ, and I found a ton of articles for S10 springs in a XJ, YJ springs in an XJ, but no one has posted anything that I could find as to if it would work for a YJ. Well, as far as success goes, it was 110%

My stock rear springs were flat when I got them, and over the last year have almost inverted from daily use and mild off roading.

I got a set of rear leafs from an early 90's (I think because the front half was missing) S10 Blazer and removed/cut the spring clamps and locating pins. I cut the spring eyes off the main S10 leaves, and cut the springs down to a length of 45". I have been prepping for my 8.8" swap for the rear end for a while, so I figured while I have the back end of the springs undone, it takes a few minutes more to undo the front bolts and do the bastard pack mod. The spring clamps on the YJ pack are pretty tough to bend out, but with a bit of persuasion from a BFH, they opened up enough for me to get the spring pack apart. I pulled the second leaf from the YJ pack out, and transplanted the cut down S10 main leaf and then reassembled the pack. Using a c-clamp to hold the leaves together, then placing the spring clamps in a vice to squeeze in the sides, holds everything tight to get a hammer in to bend back down the tabs. Comparing the old secondary leaf to the new cut S10 leaf is a huge difference. I can stand with about 25% of my weight on the YJ leaf and it hits the floor, the S10 spring however can only be bottommed out if I bounce on the leaf with my full weight. The springs went in easy as pie, and the rest of the 8.8 swap was pretty straight forward as well thanks to all the info I have gathered from this forum. I lost almost an inch of lift due to the thicker axle tubes in the 8.8 compared to the dana 35, but the overall lift from the bastard pack was impressive. I measured my rear corners before getting started and one was sagged almost an inch lower than the other, with the lower one being 23" from the ground to the corner of my tub. After the 8.8 and bastard pack, that same corner sits at almost 27" with the other corner now beng almost identical in height.

So after a quick test drive, I am very happy with my new lift. The ride is actually more smooth than it was before, probably due to me riding on the shocks more than the springs. I love the limited slip in the 8.8 compared to the Detroit I had in the d35. The disc brakes of the 8.8 also feel MUCH better than the drums ever did in the d35.

For anyone who wants a budget lift for their YJ and isn't afraid to get a bit dirty, this one looks like a winner. I will post a few updates once everything gets flexed out a few times and I have had a chance to wheel it offroad to see what they are like there.

My Jeep has only ever killed three things. A deer, a dog, and my wallet.
*retired* Low Output Jeep Club # 135
Uberjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2009, 10:40 PM   #2
yjmudder90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

pics or it didnt happen!!

"The right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."
yjmudder90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2009, 12:32 AM   #3
Uberjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjmudder90 View Post
pics or it didnt happen!!
Ever leave a digital camera on a table in a house with two teenage girls who use facebook? Lol. My card was full and my battery was dead when I grabbed it earlier, so pics will come tomorrow...
Unread 04-15-2009, 01:52 AM   #4
Uberjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Evolutionof lift pics...

Sorry about the size of this post, but I got pic happy looking for decent examples of before and after. Alrighty, so few pics to show the new spring pack and a few older pics to compare the lift from the mods I have done over the last couple rounds of modification.

Before and after 1" body lift.

1.5" Shackle lift installed w/previous 1" body lift.

Parked on a gentle slope and you can see how the springs sag and invert with no flexing at all.

21.5" + 2.75" for the tape measure = 24.25" on the high side (passenger side was about 23" Also notice the gap between tire & flare, flat springs, shackle angled out from jeep.

Outside view of Bastard pack.

Inside view of swapped out 2nd leaf in the bastard pack.

Rear view of new springs installed. I think I can comfortably run 33's and get a bit more flex without worying about completly inverting. The terrible spring wrap I was getting before has subsided immensly. I think the case of beer I traded for the springs was for sure worth every drop!
Unread 04-29-2009, 11:44 PM   #5
phillsam
1993 YJ Wrangler 

This looks to be a great idea!!! do you have any idea what years of the s10's work??

is your rear now higher than your front?
do you plan on doing this to the front?

i might have to use this...my stock springs are pretty bad
Unread 04-30-2009, 02:01 AM   #6
houseyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Hell yea this looks beautiful, if possible please post what years of s10's. One other question is if u needed any other mods for the size of the lift, i'm somewhat new but with RC lifts i've seen a need for SYE's and such, any need for them here?
houseyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2009, 02:49 AM   #7
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The first time that I saw this mod done/attempted was ~29 (yes, twenty nine) years ago.

It should have been forgotten then.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2009, 07:11 AM   #8
dave_dj1
2001 TJ Wrangler 

you should bend those clamps open and let the srpings flex, you will be amazed at how flexy they get when open'd up!
Unread 04-30-2009, 07:42 AM   #9
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Is that last pic at ride height ? It does provide some nice arch to the spring now but the shackle angle looks like it suffers because of it.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2009, 10:46 AM   #10
4bangerYJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_dj1 View Post
you should bend those clamps open and let the srpings flex, you will be amazed at how flexy they get when open'd up!
X2 just open them up enough so the leaves can slide on each other. If they bang and pop this will also help with that.
4bangerYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2009, 02:01 PM   #11
yellowford
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I thought the S10's had narrowere leaves than a YJ, If I'm not mistaken the YJ leaves are 2.5" wide which means you could use leaves from an Explorer, F150 or others those are just some that I know of that have 2.5" springs.
Unread 05-01-2009, 06:52 PM   #12
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

When I used to research stuff for my XJ I remember reading alot about using Dakota leaves also

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2009, 09:56 PM   #13
Swampwalker3
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I bastard packed xj and yj leafs. Flexed great and rode down the street like a caddy.

Zane Neher
88 YJ. H.O. 4.0L/AW4/twin sticked d300/1 tons/38.5s.
Swampwalker3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2009, 04:07 PM   #14
1tuffyj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
The first time that I saw this mod done/attempted was ~29 (yes, twenty nine) years ago.

It should have been forgotten then.
joe, why do u say this? ive been looking for a cheap way to keep my "custom springs" from bending/sagging. this wont work, or at least hold me over for a yr?
Unread 05-05-2009, 09:31 PM   #15
dwaynetm1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

If this was done on a stock YJ with a Dana 35 what other mods do you think I would have to do? Stearing shaft maybe?
dwaynetm1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.