Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

S.Y.E. Install Question. Please help.

1K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  hallway94yj 
#1 ·
Okay so here is a thread of the rear axle project/fab things I've been working on. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/yj-coil-conversion-1234448/ Well my question is on the sye. Check page two of my thread if you want pics of it..After the install, i tryed hand turning the rear yoke and it spins smoothly until it's last 10% or so of rotation, then it becomes "stiff" but continues to cycle and frees up once completed. Is this because it's in 4lo? Bad install? I'm stumped and don't really want to take the tcase apart again until someone has some insight. Thanks, Eric.

#2 ·
Hmmmm. Very strange. I dont know of it being a problem because it's in four low, does it do it in four high and two high?

#3 ·
I haven't tried those two yet but I will here in a second. I'm really stumped because it was really a snap to put in, I followed all of the steps. Prelubed parts and torqued everything to spec. Also, got the oil pump hooked up correctly so who knows..I'll report back in a second.

#6 ·
Well I just took the tail housing off then spun the shaft and no binding at all smooth as butter! Then I decided not to crack the case halves and button it back up with a fresh bead of rtv. As soon as I got the 5 bolts snugged down, binding just like before! Son of a BIT@&!! What's the deal here?

#9 ·
Now wait...Hmm. I slightly remember a problem like this when I was working in my uncles transmission shop one day. I was only there for a few days doing a carreer study for school, I'm trying to remember what the problem was though. It was on a dodge ram 2500, I'm fairly sure it was the transfercase oil pump, I could be wrong though. You already elimnated the pump though as the problem...maybe your looking at the wrong end of the issue, maybe it's the diff thats the problem and has been a problem with your original drive shaft just you didnt spin the original by hand to realize you had a problem. Just a thought.

#10 ·
sounds like a bearing isn't seated fully and when you tighten the tail it puts pressure on it. Could be off just a little and cause issues.

#12 ·
I never did twist it with the old slip yoke drive shaft..hmmm. I think I might just take it to a guy in my club who owns a jeep shop. Linkage is correct, supposed to be like 9.30" I think is what the manual said? Ugh this is preventing me from working on more important things..

#14 ·
Curious... have you called the manufacturer and asked them out this issue yet? They should be the first ones to call.

Take care,

#15 ·
Hmmm. Everything looks alright but I didnt take that close of a look, I dont have much time, I need to run to the auto parts store. :eek: But did you try spinning the rear and see how that is? I've got a feeling your looking at the wrong end of the problem. And like 1SASjeepster said, call the manufacter, they could help you trouble shoot the problem and give you ideas where to look that we havent thought of yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.