?'s from a Wrangler Newbie with an '89 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ?'s from a Wrangler Newbie with an '89

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 10-21-2002, 04:10 PM   #1
NJjeepster

?'s from a Wrangler Newbie with an '89

After years with our '89 Cherokee which I just gave to college daughter I bought this Wrangler. It is an '89 YJ 4cyl(not first choice) with 102,000 miles on it. Mechanically it seems to run great. Only two problems, emission maintenance light, which we know what to do with, and the fact that the 4wd light won't shut off. Have looked it over very carefully and swear that the 4wd is not engaged. Have checked out the switch and can't find a problem, so ?? Off to buy the Chilton's and see if I can track down the problem.
After spending some time on this forum I am wondering if I made a good purchase. Should I have waited til I could afford something newer, and until I came across a decent 6cyl. Husband's plan is if it ever develops mechanical problems he could throw a 6 or even 8 in it if I wanted.
It is to be used mostly for around town and offroad on the local beach. No climbing ditches etc, at least not now. I could easily sell it now and get the $2500. I paid for it or a bit more. Especially if I get the engine lights out. Any weak spots I should keep an eye out for on this model. Any thoughts?
Next ? I need tires. What would you go with for mix of road and beach driving?
Final ? No mods done it at all. I am replacing the seats this weekend. Torn and uncomfortable. Putting in Mustang seats in front. I need to do something with sound system. What least expensive things would you do to a Jeep first? Things to personalize it. This is my first toy in a long time.

NJjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2002, 04:51 PM   #2
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Wow .. long message to start off with in this forum ..

First thing .. welcome!!!

Second .. take your time with the Jeep .. don't go in to it too quickly.

The easiest thing to do is to research the different options available to you, and to talk to some of the people who have already completed the projects that you wish to take on.

Now .. as far as seats go, I used seats out of a LeBarron GTS .. made some brackets .. they sit nice .. but very tall.

As far as tires go, the best thing to do is run as wide as possible for the sand .. one of your local 4x4 shops should be able to recommend the tires best suited to your type of sand .. they may also recommend lift and rims as well. Your 4-banger might not be able to push the bigger tires as easily through the sand. For more power out of the 4-banger .. visit the engine-tech section.

If your hubby is interested in swapping in a larger engine, its the same amount of work to do a V8 as it is to do a 6cyl (inline or V). Check my homepage about my Chevy V8 swap .. V8WrangerIdaho did a Ford 302 into his Jeep .. and many others have also done V8's with rave-reviews about the after-effects

Stereo's .. talk to MusicMaveric in the stereo section .. he seems to know sound systems inside and out ..

We have many very knowledgable people on this board .. posting messages in the right areas will get you the fastest response from everyone .. even debates happen, but that will allow you to work out in your own mind the answers to your questions ..
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2002, 09:08 PM   #3
NJjeepster

Thanks a bunch

Yep giant post. Thanks for the info about different boards. I guess I didn't even notice them.
Hubby did an engine swap about 7 yrs ago, taking out V8 from his beastly old Jeep pick up into an old 70 something Cherokee. Worked great. He won't do it unless the motor starts giving me troubles or I really, really want to go bigger tires.
In the meantime I love my Jeep Wrangler and daughter is thrilled with the old Cherokee that I gave her.
Unread 10-22-2002, 02:14 AM   #4
johny1i

I've never driven a 4-cylinder, but by looking at the numbers it appears that it has about the same horsepower as my old 4.2 I-6. No, it's no powerhouse, but it gets you down the road and I drive 85 on the freeway everyday (I did drop down to 30" tires because of the highway miles I drive--probably the only person in jeep history to ever actually put smaller tires on one!). Anyway, at $2500, if you take care of it, I don't see how the value can drop any further--therefore I agree that you should just drive it a little bit and if it has no major mechanical problems, stick with it until it gives you a reason to dump a bunch of money into the engine. There are plenty of add-ons like rims, tires, lift, etc. that can be done as an alternative to replacing a reasonably-good engine until you decide which direction you want to go with it (6 cyl, V8, etc).
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2002, 02:43 AM   #5
GHJEEP94YJ

DING!!! Light just clicked... NJJeepster is a ... JEEP CHICK (no offence intended) Welcome to the forum BTW. When are you going to get pics of your new baby up??? I wanna see them.
Spray In Liner, Rancho RS 5000's
Use the long skinny pedal and you will be okay.

[URL=http://www.jeeps4me.com]Great source of information and fun.[/URL]
BLACK JEEP CLUB MEMBER #8
GHJEEP94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2002, 05:47 AM   #6
NJjeepster

Yep

GhJeep A Jeep Chick I am
Oh, and Johny, also a major Parrothead (as in your clippie)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.