?'s about DIY On-Board Air system... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ?'s about DIY On-Board Air system...

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
JimmyFW1
1995 YJ Wrangler 

?'s about DIY On-Board Air system...

I've got a 95 YJ, 2.5L.
The A/C crapped out a few years back, so I bought a replacement compressor & clutch combo on ebay, but never put it in.

I have decided to convert it into an on-board air setup, and I need help from those that have done it before.

I've got the compressor & clutch.

I've got an old water-pressured Fire Extinguisher that has a psi rating over 500 psi that I want to use as the holding tank. My thoughts were to mount the tank to the roll cage so it could be visible and look like a "working" old school extinguisher.

* What all do I need to make the conversion on the compressor?
* Your thoughts on using an extinguisher tank?
* Would/Should there be any safety concerns to the driver or passengers? (The tank is well rated for any pressure the compressor could generate)
* Are these compressors able to run an tools? How would I set it up to run a light duty air chisel, air rachet or air gun to break a wheel loose on the road??

Thanks in advance for your help...

Unread 05-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The tank may need more than one inlet and outlet to work for your purposes.

Edit: Then when there really is a fire someone will grab it and you'll laugh and say "that's my air tank, thilly" as someone burns helplessly.
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
JimmyFW1
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I thought that at first too. But this is a type that's meant to be charged and recharged with air pressure. Its got an air inlet for pressurizing and an outlet for discharging...
I will try to get a pic on here soon...
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

With a check valve on the input and a manifold on the output including a pressure release valve, your pressure switch and the outlet for your tools. I like to install a petcock of some sorts to drain the moisture that compressors inherently produce.

Can it be done? Yes.
Is it creative? Also yes.
Keep us updated on that facet. Otherwise there are plenty of places to mount a proper tank.
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
With a check valve on the input and a manifold on the output including a pressure release valve, your pressure switch and the outlet for your tools. I like to install a petcock of some sorts to drain the moisture that compressors inherently produce.

Can it be done? Yes.
Is it creative? Also yes.
Keep us updated on that facet. Otherwise there are plenty of places to mount a proper tank.
I don't want to make a whole thread on this so...

I'm looking for a York. Have you ever seen a tank mounted in that huge open space under the battery?
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #6
1998zj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I used a fire extinguisher for my tank, I mounted it behind the rear seat. You don't need an inlet and outlet to the tank, one hose will do the trick. For lubrication, just remove the plug on top and shoot some grease into the compressor. Mine has been running fine this way for 5 years and you don't have to worry about your compressor spraying oil out. I made a manifold block out of aluminum with a bunch of ports with pipe thread. I put a gauge, quick disconnect, shutoff switch and a pop off valve on the manifold and a check valve coming out of the compressor.
Unread 05-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
Don't worry, I already did.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/a...83/?highlight=
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #8
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post

I'm looking for a York. Have you ever seen a tank mounted in that huge open space under the battery?
I used that space to mount my air storage tank. Not a big tank, a couple of gallons.
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

500 PSI max is fine, If you even come close to that you'll grenade any air tools anyway. 100 psi works just fine. The only issue you're going to have it the pump cfm. It won't run an air tool so you will have to work in bursts (bad word dealing in pnuematics)
You can get a blow off valve at most home stores as well and Northern tool. If you want the mounting to look custom I would mount the valve and manifold under the hood close or on the pump. there is no need to have it mounted on the tank. You don't need to poke any holes for a condensate drain. Those are designed to have water in them and as long as you periodically take the tank of and drain it you will be fine.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.