Rythmic tapping sound. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rythmic tapping sound.

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
HKusp
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Rythmic tapping sound.

I have a recently acquired 1993 4.0 liter YJ with a 4 inch lift and 33x12.50's. It has approximately 210K miles (actual is unknown as the speedo/odo apparently haven't worked since it had 115K). We just took it on vacation with us to Chincoteague, Va. (About 175 miles one way). I wasn't driving it as I was hauling the travel trailer, but the wife said it drove fine except for a tapping noise she was hearing. I thought it was probably a noisy timing chain she was describing and didn't think anything of it until I drove it.

I am definitely hearing a metallic tapping sound coming from underneath that sounds more like it is coming from the passenger side middle of the tub area. It is regular and changes speed with the speed of the vehicle, pushing in the clutch has no effect at all. I haven't messed with the transfer case yet because I don't want to start any issues with getting it stuck in 4wheel drive at least until I get it home. It sounds almost like maybe some slack in a u-joint maybe to me, at least that is what jumped in my somewhat limited mind anyway. Now we just replaced the passenger side u-joint on the front wheel a few weeks ago as well as the long steering arm that I would describe as the tie rod end except it is about 3 feet long, but I don't know what it is really called, (this is my first actual jeep so bear with me guys, I am trying to get up to speed )I also just put a used exhaust from the cat back including a Dynomax muffler and tailpipe on it right before the trip, but I used new exhaust clamps and isolators and it doesn't sound like the exhaust banging at all.

I was speaking with a mechanic with 20+ years experience, that was camping behind me and he is a Jeep guy and said most likely it was the transfer case chain. He said that was fairly common and not a big issue until we were doing some decent wheeling. I didn't get a chance to take him for a ride before he left to get a "confirmation" of that.

I realize it is very hard to diagnose these things over the internet, but is that at least probable? I have driven it maybe 50 miles around the island over the last week and other than the noise, it is running great. The steering is tight and feels good. I ask, because the wife and kids are still down the beach, I needed to come home and work for a few days. I am hoping to avoid it being an issue on the ride back this weekend.

Sorry for the long post but I want to get an action plan together if need be. Thank you guys, for any and all input.

HKusp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
HKusp
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So no one even looked at this....?
Unread 07-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #3
Why J?
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Chains tend to make noise in 4wd only.

Loft the rear end, tires off the ground supported with jack stands and run it. Climb underneath.

Could be lifters chattering.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-pissed-wife-747535/
Phase II 5.3L/4L60e then NV3550
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...stall-1400506/
Why J? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #4
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKusp
I have a recently acquired 1993 4.0 liter YJ with a 4 inch lift and 33x12.50's. It has approximately 210K miles (actual is unknown as the speedo/odo apparently haven't worked since it had 115K). We just took it on vacation with us to Chincoteague, Va. (About 175 miles one way). I wasn't driving it as I was hauling the travel trailer, but the wife said it drove fine except for a tapping noise she was hearing. I thought it was probably a noisy timing chain she was describing and didn't think anything of it until I drove it.

I am definitely hearing a metallic tapping sound coming from underneath that sounds more like it is coming from the passenger side middle of the tub area. It is regular and changes speed with the speed of the vehicle, pushing in the clutch has no effect at all. I haven't messed with the transfer case yet because I don't want to start any issues with getting it stuck in 4wheel drive at least until I get it home. It sounds almost like maybe some slack in a u-joint maybe to me, at least that is what jumped in my somewhat limited mind anyway. Now we just replaced the passenger side u-joint on the front wheel a few weeks ago as well as the long steering arm that I would describe as the tie rod end except it is about 3 feet long, but I don't know what it is really called, (this is my first actual jeep so bear with me guys, I am trying to get up to speed )I also just put a used exhaust from the cat back including a Dynomax muffler and tailpipe on it right before the trip, but I used new exhaust clamps and isolators and it doesn't sound like the exhaust banging at all.

I was speaking with a mechanic with 20+ years experience, that was camping behind me and he is a Jeep guy and said most likely it was the transfer case chain. He said that was fairly common and not a big issue until we were doing some decent wheeling. I didn't get a chance to take him for a ride before he left to get a "confirmation" of that.

I realize it is very hard to diagnose these things over the internet, but is that at least probable? I have driven it maybe 50 miles around the island over the last week and other than the noise, it is running great. The steering is tight and feels good. I ask, because the wife and kids are still down the beach, I needed to come home and work for a few days. I am hoping to avoid it being an issue on the ride back this weekend.

Sorry for the long post but I want to get an action plan together if need be. Thank you guys, for any and all input.
That would be a drag link.
Now this noise, okay, so we know it happens when the jeeps speed changes, does it make the noise while it is parked and running? Does it change with the rpms? Any heat shields loose? Crawl under and give the drive shafts a good shake. See if there is any play. Any time I have had a ujoint take a crap there is normally a vibration in my experience. I would do what whyj said. It sounds like it is coming from somewhere in the driveline. Time to eliminate where in the driveline. Front or back, left or right. Driveshaft or axle. Crawl under and start shaking stuff to see if anything wiggles around.

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If I understand you, it only makes this sound while moving? If that's the case it would seem to narrow it to driveline and not motor.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 08:02 AM   #6
HKusp
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, it only makes the sound when moving. If the clutch is engaged or not, and I definitely don't think it is the lifters. I will jack it up and go from there. I will report back what I find. Thank you for the suggestions.
Unread 07-24-2013, 08:13 AM   #7
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a U-Joint to me. Time to get to shaking. They dont always cause vibs though well not until they get really bad anyway.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #8
HKusp
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry it has taken so long to give an update on the tapping sound. It turns out it was multiple sources. Number one was the rear universal joint on the front drive shaft and number 2, and this is the big one, was the bearing on the front of the transfer case. Pricing out the R&R of it looks to be more expensive than replacing with a used unit so I think we are just going that way. I am looking at a unit from a 2001 4.0 that comes with an SYE already installed and it comes with a set of drive shafts already set up for a 4 inch lift. The guy wants $500 so I hope to go that route. Thanks for all the ideas on how to diagnose.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.