Rusty Floorboards? Not as tough as I thought - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rusty Floorboards? Not as tough as I thought

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 08-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
WHATDIDIDO
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Rusty Floorboards? Not as tough as I thought

I am new to the forum, and have gained some valuable information during my YJ build. I have only been a Jeep owner for 3 weeks and have been working on getting it mechanically sound.

First, Added the Weber 32/36
Second, Nutter....
Third, Adjust Shift Cable...it's a automatic, turned out to be a job to get it adjusted correctly
fourth, fix all the leaks...transmission, oil pan, and differential
fifth, replace and try to make sense out of all these vacuum lines

I want to thank you all for the information i have gained from this forum...It's running great!

AND NOW, TO ADDRESS THE RUST!!!!

I am not a body shop expert, and really didn't know what i was getting into. I feel it is done to the best of my knowledge and maybe will help someone else.

First thing I did was begin removing the interior

Even though I was focusing on the drivers side only, I removed all the interior to prevent over spray from getting all over it. I also power washed the carpet and seats while they were out.

This is what I found under the carpet on the drivers side. The passenger side wasn't too bad, I was able to to brush the rust off and paint it...

Now to start cutting out all the rust. I cut out small sections at a time, being careful not to cut into something underneath that was good and needed. I used a plasma cutter, but a grinding wheel is just as effective. I chose the plasma so the dust would be limited to under the vehicle and it's quicker.

There are a couple of spot welds on this brace that were stubburn to remove. Be careful not to damage this as it will be needed for your new pan. I used a grinder to remove the spot welds and the remaining old pan came right off...

All the bad stuff removed, now take a wire brush and clean up whats left

It leaves a big hole that would make Fred Flinstone proud

Here is the new pan...ordered off ebay

Made in USA? Not that you can't get quality products made outside the USA, but It was thicker than the original floor, that made me feel a little better about it anyway...

Now to start tacking it into place.. I used a Miller Welder with .035 wire, that's because it's what I had and I have alot of welding experience. I would recomend a smaller wire diameter or you can rivet this in....

All tacked in place. I put a tack about 2 1/2" making sure it was seated well against the original floor pan

Now to sand and prep the surface. I used 400 grit sandpaper to rough the surface on both the top and bottom....NOTE: Sand the underside before welding it in...it makes it much easer.

I was preping not only for future paint, but also the sealer...I wanted the seam to be sealed up tight as to not have problems in the future.

I used Napa Polyester 2 part resin and hardner...I think this stuff did an excellent job for a body filler and also a sealer. I wouldn't be afraid to use it on a cosmetic surface. My friend owns a local franchise and he suggested this to me, he said they have great results from it.[/IMG]

I used Napa Polyester 2 part resin and hardner...I think this stuff did an excellent job for a body filler and also a sealer. I wouldn't be afraid to use it on a cosmetic surface. My friend owns a local franchise and he suggested this to me, he said they have great results from it.

Next, I let the sealer/body filler set for about 30 minutes before sanding. While the top was setting, I filled the under side, while the under side was setting, sanded the top, when I was done sanding the top, the bottom was ready to be sanded. I used 80 grit sandpaper initially, taking it down to about 400 grit..

After getting it all sanded and prepped, I masked some things in the cab, and covered the hood and fenders with plastic and sheets, then spray bomb rustoleum primer.

My jeep is black, so i used black spray paint on the top surface and bed liner spray underneath...

After letting it sit for about 3 hours and everything dry to the touch, I put it all back together...

Good as NEW....

I am not an expert in this field, and know this is not a Chip Foose job, but If you are like me and can't afford to have someone do the work for you, I thought this might encourage or help some of you running around with rusty floorboards that are afraid to tackle this project. I had less than $100.00 and about 8 hours in this repair and feel it will last as long as this Jeep is in service. Thanks again Jeep Forum for all your help. I look forward to getting more involved with this community...

WHATDIDIDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
Gage56
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Nice job man !!! i too was a bit scared to replace mine but once you get the old cut out its not too bad

White Jeep Club #302

My Resto/Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-official-build-thread-1992-yj-emma-1494420/

Another YJ Resto
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...81/?highlight=

Sun Visor Fix How To
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...x-how-1607617/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
This is a prime example why people should be give a IQ test before they are allowed to Vote or Breed.
Gage56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

6 posts and already making these kinds of contributions! Welcome to the forum, and thanks. Keep up the good work.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
WHATDIDIDO
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshw301 View Post
6 posts and already making these kinds of contributions! Welcome to the forum, and thanks. Keep up the good work.
thank you, I found this site when I had problems with my carter carb. Google brought me here and I have found so much information that has been helpful to me. I hope this will help someone, I have learned very quickly that when you own a Jeep, you become part of a family.
Unread 08-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
XJ93
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Nice job. I need to replace my floor board as well as my rocker, not from rust but someone who doesn't use mirrors to back up .
This shows me that I can indeed do it myself with patients. The only difference with mine is that when I put it back together instead of carpet I have Herculiner to go on.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

dude!! great job and great write up for empowering people who are discouraged by the thought or replacing body parts.
Unread 08-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #7
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Nice work. I'm impressed by the level of skill that so many forum members show everyday. Yourself included.
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 06:53 AM   #8
WHATDIDIDO
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ93 View Post
Nice job. I need to replace my floor board as well as my rocker, not from rust but someone who doesn't use mirrors to back up .
This shows me that I can indeed do it myself with patients. The only difference with mine is that when I put it back together instead of carpet I have Herculiner to go on.
I'm intrested in how the herculiner looks and how well it holds up over time. If you go this route, please post some pics.

Thanks for all the replies and encourging words. This is a great place!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.