Rustoleum spray can bedliner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rustoleum spray can bedliner

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 07-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
michaelbarry
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Rustoleum spray can bedliner

How is this stuff? Honestly, i'd like to get the Monstaliner but am trying to save money for LIFE right now, so don't have much to put into the Jeep fund. I wanna pull the carpet though because i've got some rust that's starting to get heavier than i'd like in the driver's side floorboard and the carpet is holding water. I sprayed a small piece of metal with it just to get a feel for the texture and it has only sat ~ 18 hours so far and I really like it...it seems to be somewhat hard to scrape and that was with NO prep to the metal. What i'm wondering about is long term durability. I won't be throwing a lot of stuff around that's heavy/sharp edges inside the Jeep so I just need something that will stay looking decent under normal use. I plan to get rubber floor mats for the floor in the front as well, so it shouldn't wear too much, I wouldn't think. Anybody have any input?

michaelbarry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I used it on my bumpers that I made. Seems to hold up well but I don't think it would do good on the tub. It has no give to it and does seem to chip easily.

Save your money and get Monster or Herc. Much better and you won't be kicking yourself later for not doing it.

johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I too used it on my bumpers with great results, I also used it on the bed of my new truck in the hard to reach spaces with HERCULINER on the floor and fender wells. I am planning on doing the same with my tub- paint the sides/corners/behind roll bar with the spray, then do the floors and a light "texture matching" coat on all the flat surfaces I can reach with the roller.

~D
Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2010, 03:09 PM   #4
michaelbarry
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ahhhhh...screw it. I think i'm gonna go ahead and spring for the Herc..Advance Auto has it for $80 for the 1 gallon kit. I'll do the same as you, Destr0, and get the hard to reach places with the Rustoleum. I think it'd be great for that purpose...areas that you see but don't get much wear.
Unread 07-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #5
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Works great the way I did it so far- and the bed of my truck gets USED. Even the Herc needs some touch up sometimes, but doing an 8' bed last time (in '06 when I got my last new truck) took a complete gallon and I stretched to get the tailgate covered. With the spray on then Herc I used about 2/3 of the gallon and have a better looking end result. Herc is so thick that getting into all the little corners and under the rails was a goopy mess.

Cheers!
~D
Unread 07-08-2010, 05:32 PM   #6
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbarry View Post
Ahhhhh...screw it. I think i'm gonna go ahead and spring for the Herc..Advance Auto has it for $80 for the 1 gallon kit. I'll do the same as you, Destr0, and get the hard to reach places with the Rustoleum. I think it'd be great for that purpose...areas that you see but don't get much wear.
if money is the issue get the monstaliner, free shipping right now, free chassis saver too and it's not as expensive as herc.
Unread 07-08-2010, 07:12 PM   #7
dtn8tr
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhouse View Post
if money is the issue get the monstaliner, free shipping right now, free chassis saver too and it's not as expensive as herc.
Last time I looked it was $134 for that kit with free shipping and free chassis saver Monkey.

Most good stories start out "Y'all ain't gonna believe this ****...."
dtn8tr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 12:06 AM   #8
michaelbarry
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtn8tr View Post
Last time I looked it was $134 for that kit with free shipping and free chassis saver Monkey.
Yep..it's more than the Herc or else I would've definitely went with it. I think i'm gonna be really satisfied with the Herc. Got rain coming for the next few days so can't put it in though. I did take all my carpet out today though! PROGRESS!
Unread 07-09-2010, 02:23 AM   #9
dtn8tr
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah...took my carpet out about a week or so ago, gonna herc it here soon.

Most good stories start out "Y'all ain't gonna believe this ****...."
dtn8tr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 08:05 AM   #10
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtn8tr View Post
You got me there, sorry. For some reason I was thinking the one gallon kit was 50, my apologies. I would have to agree then to go with Herc if money is the issue, especially if you can just cruise over to advance and pick it up. Good luck!
Unread 07-09-2010, 08:14 AM   #11
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I suggest going with Monstaliner now so you don't end up buying Herc now and the Monstaliner later.

Herc is good for the inside of deliver vans and stuff but in your Jeep it's very exposed to the sun and will degrade quickly unless you topcoat it.

If you do go with the Herc make sure you mix the plastic pieces up well. It looks like **** when you have uneven coverage.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 09:42 AM   #12
michaelbarry
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchrider View Post
I suggest going with Monstaliner now so you don't end up buying Herc now and the Monstaliner later.

Herc is good for the inside of deliver vans and stuff but in your Jeep it's very exposed to the sun and will degrade quickly unless you topcoat it.

If you do go with the Herc make sure you mix the plastic pieces up well. It looks like **** when you have uneven coverage.
Don't worry, I plan on mixing it up with a drill. I think the Herc will be fine for me. I'm not gonna be throwing shovels into the back of my Jeep. Mostly just foot traffic and a cooler , fishing poles, guitars, etc.
Unread 07-09-2010, 10:15 AM   #13
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have to say Herc lasts pretty well in exposed situations. Herced the bed on my 06 2500 a couple weeks after I bought it and 4 years of much abuse (built a barn and hauled a ton of wood and stuff in the back of that truck!) and it still looked great. Yeah I had to touch up a few scrapes every once in a while after hauling a mower or something, but as far as UV dammage there was none I could tell- and my truck did not have any sort of topper or shade (other than when pulling the GN trailer).

:-) I really doubt my YJ interior will see as much abuse as the bed of my work truck so I think Herc will be fine. Drivers side floor pan is about the worst wear spot I will have and for that they make nice black rubber floor mats.

Cheers!
~D
Unread 07-09-2010, 10:15 AM   #14
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbarry View Post
Don't worry, I plan on mixing it up with a drill. I think the Herc will be fine for me. I'm not gonna be throwing shovels into the back of my Jeep. Mostly just foot traffic and a cooler , fishing poles, guitars, etc.
no, he is right, there is an issue with herc when exposed to uv rays. Just buy the additive and it isn't supposed to be an issue. If not it will fade. If fading doesn't bother you, then you should be fine.
Unread 07-09-2010, 10:17 AM   #15
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I never put any addative in my Herc when I put it on and 4 years later still was black. The touched up areas would stick out as "more" black for a while but within a couple weeks you couldn't tell (although that was probably mostly from more abuse).

:-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.