Rust on Rocker Panel. Need help sealing it - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rust on Rocker Panel. Need help sealing it

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
JLRock
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Rust on Rocker Panel. Need help sealing it

Hey how are all of you? The rust on my Rocker panel is pretty bad because water is starting to leak in from there. I've put a flashlight around it at night and where i could see light I put some JB Weld in it and it kind of seemed to work. But now I dont see any light coming in but water still gets in!! I dont have the tools to just cut it and replace that section and I think it will be pretty costly if I were to take it to get it fixed.
Does anyone know what can I do or use to fully seal it so that no more water gets in? Thanks for any help in advance!

JLRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

dude, trust me on this, if you can't cut and patch it yourself, take it to get it done. that will only get worse from there. and I definitely speak from personal experience. My rust spot used to look like that. after a few years, it looked like this:

and on the passenger side

Which made it necessary for me to cut the entire rocker section off and weld in new steel, as well as some of my floor that was eaten away as you can see in the first picture above

There are supposed rust converters out there. but none of them really work in my experience. the best way to eliminate rust is to cut out ALL of the affected metal and weld in new steel, then properly prep, paint, and seal it. That being said you could MAYBE grind the flaking junk off, slather it with navel jelly (a rust converter) then coat it with chassis saver and a few good heavy coats of paint and it might slow it down for a few more years
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
seraph_rapture
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Indeed, I found much of the same under the rocker guards when I pulled them off yesterday. Guess who just got back from picking up scrap metal to repair it with?
seraph_rapture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
JLRock
1995 YJ Wrangler 

yea I it needs to get cut out, but theres just like so much little rust everywhere on it, but thats the worst part. I'm just gonna go to an auto shop and get a quote on how much it'll be to get that fixed. thanks
Unread 08-25-2011, 04:42 PM   #5
rulppa

1992 YJ Wrangler 

rulppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 06:36 PM   #6
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

+1... that needs to be cut out.

You have 3 choices the way I see it.

1) Take it to a shop and pay to have it cut out and new metal welded in.

2) Buy a welder and angle grinder and learn how to use it. This is a fairly easy job because it's all flat metal. This might be cheaper than going to a shop.

3) You could TRY to use some sort of rust converter. But I give a 99% cahnce that it won't even slow it down now that it's at this point.

You can do a lot with a $20 angle grinder and a $90 flux core welder from Harbor Freight. I did my tube fenders, windshield light mounts and front bumper. I did have some help from my father in law and his $3000 Lincoln on the front bumper just to be sure of the strength. But for your needs a cheap Harbor Freight welder would work just fine.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 07:08 PM   #7
sbsg2005
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Eastwood has some good products for rust but that is beyond them.
sbsg2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2011, 06:27 PM   #8
JLRock
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the feed back guys. I really need to do this to get if fixed!
will these replacement panel work(theres some rust growing near the rear fender) or will I have to get some part for the floor as well?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/22522_02_07.htm

http://www.quadratec.com/products/22523_02_07.htm

would I have to get this as well in case they need to cut some of the floor off as well?(it has some rust, would be good to replace now but not needed)

http://www.quadratec.com/products/22507_02_07.htm
Unread 08-27-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If it were mine I'd just have some steel cut to size and weld it in. But if the rounded edges where the door shuts are rusty too then I'd look into the stamped ones that you posted a link to.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.