Rust hole through body-how to fix?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rust hole through body-how to fix??

Happy Thursday! From Morris 4X4 CenterHalloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 02-27-2004, 12:30 PM   #1
JEEPINWI

Rust hole through body-how to fix??

Hey Guys~

I have had some rust spots surface over the past couple years, but one has finally gone all the way through the body. I will post a picture by tomorrow. It is on the driver's side rocker panel and about 2" around. What would be the best method of fixing this problem and keeping it from returning? I have already ordered some Por-15, but what else should I use to fix/fill this permanantly? Any links for info on repairing rust would also be appreciated. Thanks.

Unread 02-27-2004, 03:24 PM   #2
xxxflhrci

Do you want to fix it or stop the rust and hide the area?

Fixing back to look original it is gonna cost some bucks. You will have to cut out the spot and patch it, then have the whole panel painted.

Hiding it is the best option. Cut and grind out all the rust, then POR 15 it. Then the fastest hiding job is to bolt on some diamond plate rockers. Another option it to Bondo or Fiberglass up the whole and paint your rockers with something textured like Heruliner to hide you patch.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2004, 03:43 PM   #3
saint152

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPINWI
Hey Guys~

I have had some rust spots surface over the past couple years, but one has finally gone all the way through the body. I will post a picture by tomorrow. It is on the driver's side rocker panel and about 2" around. What would be the best method of fixing this problem and keeping it from returning? I have already ordered some Por-15, but what else should I use to fix/fill this permanantly? Any links for info on repairing rust would also be appreciated. Thanks.
If you are not a welder and cant use sheet metal.....just grind or cut out the bad spots (make sure you get all of it or it will come back) then put some fiberglass cloth behind the area you cut out. Once the fiberglass dries....you can bondo on top of that to smoothe the area out.

If you have never tried this before and are intimidated about doing so.....DONT BE! It is REALLY EASY!
1990 YJ, 258 w/ weber carb, HEI upgrade, 3.5" springs, 2" body lift, 1.5" shackles, TJ flares, Eagle 118 15x10" wheels, Rocker guards, 35x12.50x15 GY MT/R's, Lockrite F/R, POSI-LOCK, Dual Batteries (optima Red/Optima Yellow) Bestop Super Seats, 9000lb Superwinch, Custom bumpers w/ swingout tire carrier, and Rockford Fosgate for my listening pleasure!

[URL=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289933019&signin_cookie_sent=1]My Jeep Pics[/URL]
saint152 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2004, 11:58 PM   #4
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

welding

i had alot of leftover holes in my floorboards from the original owner. i welded them up and it worked great. id suggest cutting out the bad metal. id be agressive and cut out at least an inch into what appears to be good metal. id then weld in a piece of sheetmetal. if you dont have a welding machine you probably could rent one. homedepot has a decent manual on welding with some good info. if you use bondo make sure to prime the metal first. when bondo is setting it can get condensation inbetween it and metal. best to stay away from bondo though, has a habit of cracking while offroading
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2004, 12:03 AM   #5
saint152

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis
i had alot of leftover holes in my floorboards from the original owner. i welded them up and it worked great. id suggest cutting out the bad metal. id be agressive and cut out at least an inch into what appears to be good metal. id then weld in a piece of sheetmetal. if you dont have a welding machine you probably could rent one. homedepot has a decent manual on welding with some good info. if you use bondo make sure to prime the metal first. when bondo is setting it can get condensation inbetween it and metal. best to stay away from bondo though, has a habit of cracking while offroading

Use Evercote Polyester Body Filler..........it is 1000 times easier to sand than Bondo and will never crack!
1990 YJ, 258 w/ weber carb, HEI upgrade, 3.5" springs, 2" body lift, 1.5" shackles, TJ flares, Eagle 118 15x10" wheels, Rocker guards, 35x12.50x15 GY MT/R's, Lockrite F/R, POSI-LOCK, Dual Batteries (optima Red/Optima Yellow) Bestop Super Seats, 9000lb Superwinch, Custom bumpers w/ swingout tire carrier, and Rockford Fosgate for my listening pleasure!

[URL=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289933019&signin_cookie_sent=1]My Jeep Pics[/URL]
saint152 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2004, 12:19 AM   #6
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

if you do want to go the welding route and depending on where and how bad the rust is, you might want to get replacement panels from quadratec. they have preformed weld-in replacement for just about the entire interior. they're all under 50 bucks and might save you some aggravation.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2004, 04:46 AM   #7
GEAH

Save your money and patch it

Last edited by GEAH; 02-28-2004 at 04:52 AM..
GEAH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-29-2004, 12:00 AM   #8
rrclimber
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a link to a guy that did some work with the bondo. Looks pretty straight forward.

http://www.jeepz.com/modules.php?op=...=body_bodywork

95', 4.0, 4" Rusty Lift, 33" Pro Comp AT's, Quick Release II Mirror, Pavement ends flip-top, Alpine deck, bazooka amp, sony 10" sub.

My Jeep
rrclimber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-29-2004, 09:01 AM   #9
JEEPINWI

Here's a link to the page where I have a pic posted. Jeep Rust . It's not actually a pic of my Jeep, but exact same rust spot. Scroll down a bit and it's pic #11

I have access to all the equipment to permanantly repair the rust, but never had to fill in any holes. I like the idea of using the fiberglass patch then going over it with the Evercote Polyester Body Filler. I am a little intimidated by the welding as this spot is quite noticeable and although I am a decent welder, I don't feel I could get a smooth finish.
Unread 03-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #10
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint152 View Post
Use Evercote Polyester Body Filler..........it is 1000 times easier to sand than Bondo and will never crack!
Would the 'Lite Weight' do, or the 'Kitty Hair' one?
idskot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #11
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idskot View Post
Would the 'Lite Weight' do, or the 'Kitty Hair' one?
Dusted the cobwebs off this thread I see... Necrothreadillia is the term I believe I heard for just this occasion. Kidding aside I'm sure someone will get around to your question.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #12
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post
Dusted the cobwebs off this thread I see... Necrothreadillia is the term I believe I heard for just this occasion. Kidding aside I'm sure someone will get around to your question.
OH! Wow. I didn't even bother checking the year, thought it was last posted 2 days ago!
Unread 03-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #13
MegaCabMan
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I know, old thread. but here is my 0.02 anyway...

Bondo is for show cars, not trail rigs and DD jeeps.
Unread 03-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #14
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaCabMan
I know, old thread. but here is my 0.02 anyway...

Bondo is for show cars, not trail rigs and DD jeeps.
How do you suggest I fix a bubbling rust spot?
Unread 03-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #15
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinal02 View Post
if you do want to go the welding route and depending on where and how bad the rust is, you might want to get replacement panels from quadratec. they have preformed weld-in replacement for just about the entire interior. they're all under 50 bucks and might save you some aggravation.
I debated getting those when I had to replace and repair my rocker panels. Issue was I didn't really know how large they were or how much they actually covered. Its very hard to tell from their website. So i took some careful measurements and had my local steel supplier shear me the right size plates for my repairs. Cost me 30 bucks total for both sides. And I did the ENTIRE rocker front to back. Search my username and you should find the rust repair thread I did detailing the repairs. It was a pain but well worth it.

Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.