Rust in coolant - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rust in coolant

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 12-17-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
RedneckMedic
2000 WJ 

Rust in coolant

Hey guys, so I was driving my 93 YJ home this morning after letting it warm up, had no problems, then when I got home, i noticed steam coming from the engine compartment. When I opened up my hood there was rust colored fluid everywhere. One of the return hoses had a hole in it which i fixed, but as I opened up my radiator to refill it, I noticed there was alot of oxidation inside. Was wondering if anyone else has had this issue, or if its common and I just need to do a flush? Thanks in advance

RedneckMedic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

You can try flushing it, it will only help. Last radiator I saw like this took mtiple flushes and it was slightly better. It ended up failing a year later.
bill8bud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
RedneckMedic
2000 WJ 

thanx bro...would i be better off just gettin' a new radiator and saving myself the trouble, you think?
RedneckMedic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2011, 07:03 PM   #4
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Flush it and see what happens. The one I delt with was really bad.
bill8bud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Funny you should ask,,
during my engine swap I used the chevy radiator that had rust and tranny fluid mixing with the coolant. It made a rusty/oily mess in the engine
I installed a new aluminum radiator and poured Calgon liquid dish washing detergent in the radiator and let it run hot.
I did this atleast 10 times.
Let it run hot and pulled the bottom hose for a quick release of water in the radiator.
Now im running clean and havent had anymore problems

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.