Rust in coolant - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rust in coolant

Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 12-17-2011, 11:22 AM   #1
RedneckMedic
2000 WJ 

Rust in coolant

Hey guys, so I was driving my 93 YJ home this morning after letting it warm up, had no problems, then when I got home, i noticed steam coming from the engine compartment. When I opened up my hood there was rust colored fluid everywhere. One of the return hoses had a hole in it which i fixed, but as I opened up my radiator to refill it, I noticed there was alot of oxidation inside. Was wondering if anyone else has had this issue, or if its common and I just need to do a flush? Thanks in advance

RedneckMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

You can try flushing it, it will only help. Last radiator I saw like this took mtiple flushes and it was slightly better. It ended up failing a year later.
bill8bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
RedneckMedic
2000 WJ 

thanx bro...would i be better off just gettin' a new radiator and saving myself the trouble, you think?
RedneckMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Flush it and see what happens. The one I delt with was really bad.
bill8bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2011, 06:32 PM   #5
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Funny you should ask,,
during my engine swap I used the chevy radiator that had rust and tranny fluid mixing with the coolant. It made a rusty/oily mess in the engine
I installed a new aluminum radiator and poured Calgon liquid dish washing detergent in the radiator and let it run hot.
I did this atleast 10 times.
Let it run hot and pulled the bottom hose for a quick release of water in the radiator.
Now im running clean and havent had anymore problems

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.