rust/body panel question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > rust/body panel question

PANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thiIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-06-2015, 03:21 PM   #1
rwfisheriv
1995 YJ Wrangler 

rust/body panel question

As you can see from the photos I'm starting my battle with the dreaded rot. What confuses me is that the body panel seems to be a sandwich, with most of the rust inside. Based on that, how do I approach cutting out and patching? Do I drill a few pilot holes around the rust hole until I find clean metal and then cut out that section? Once that's done, do I just weld on a patch on the outside?

Thanks!!

img_0249.jpg

img_0250.jpg

rwfisheriv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2015, 05:51 PM   #2
rustisexpected
1990 YJ Wrangler 

There never is a simple step by step approach to body panel work. The "sandwich" that you are talking about is common, and fixing it is going to depend on severity. You can pick up a replacement support for the inside fairly cheap. Just cut out all of it that is bad and patch it in. For the outside i would just pick up some 16g sheet metal. Once you have the material to patch you can start exploring. Once you find the end of the rust, square up the hole and make a patch that fits well. If the cancer has spread into your raised jeep letters, and you would like to retain them, then it gets more expensive. A licensed jeep replacement panel is much more expensive than a small piece of 16g sheet metal. Also if it has made its way into the floors you can use the 16g to patch it as well.

If you are going to weld everything in, remember to disconnect the battery and clear away all of the bed liner and undercoating from around the area.

And be prepared you could be opening a can of worms.
rustisexpected is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2015, 06:14 PM   #3
rwfisheriv
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, that's what i was afraid of. I'll get out the tools and start cutting tomorrow. I found a repair panel for a large section (including the logo) but I'm hoping I don't have to cut out that much material...

Seems like an odd place to rust, unless water was coming in through the fender cover bolt.

http://www.classicent.com/jeep/87-95-wrangler-yj
rwfisheriv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2015, 06:45 PM   #4
rustisexpected
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It really is a common spot. Two pieces of metal, face to face, not welded together well, rubbing together for 20+ years... You get the idea.

edit: The shipping on the large panels is where i found the majority of the cost to be. But it does look like all you will need is the sheet metal, and not the raised letters.
rustisexpected is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2015, 03:46 PM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have rust there that I need t deal with. Take pics and post them. We can compare notes.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2015, 07:37 AM   #6
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwfisheriv
...but I'm hoping I don't have to cut out that much material...
One thing I learned on old VWs was that, often, a little bit of rust is just as much work as a lot of rust. As long as the area requiring a cutout isn't bigger than the repair panel there's little extra time involved, relatively, and sometimes "bigger" repairs are easier even if more time consuming. That's all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.