Rust around windshield frame - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rust around windshield frame

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 08-31-2004, 10:14 PM   #1
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Rust around windshield frame

About 3 years ago we had a new windshield put in. Our auto-body man (does all our auto-body work, works for himself) said you have to get rid of the rust at the same time to prevent leaking (or something like that, not sure). Although the paint wasn't part of the windshield insurance, he said he can't guarantee the rust wont come back... so we paid for him to paint it. Well, 3 years later it's back, just tough little bubbles, nothing major. I know it's going to get worse.

I am going to ask the auto-body man how much it would cost, but how much do you guys think taking out the window, getting a new windshield frame + prime, paint, and putting the window back would cost...?

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2004, 03:02 AM   #2
bigwheels89
2011 WK 

I'm going to have to do the same thing to mine.I know you can get the frame for around $140 but after that I don't know what it would cost,it shouldn't be to much for labor and materials as it's not that big of a job.In the Quadratec catalog it says it comes primed so it shouldn't take too much prep before painting.
bigwheels89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2004, 08:33 AM   #3
MarkandPaminFL

I have the same problem on my 92. I bought the frame through 4WD Hardware http://www.4wd.com for $140, cowl seal for $31 (old one was pretty beat) and windshield seal for $22. Then I went and found the right paint to match the low-gloss moss green color - $55 for a quart of paint, the hardener and thinner. Before I paint it, I have to wipe it down with the thinner (removes oils/waxes from factory and shipping), scuff it with a scotch-brite pad (to remove sheen from primer and allow the topcoat to cling) and wipe it with the thinner again (removes all the dust particles. I also ran a bead of latex caulk down the side where the two parts of the windshield frame are spotwelded together. Then I can mix the paint, spray it and it'll be ready to have the $200-$300 windshield replaced. I've heard horror stories about the bolts for the hinges and for the plates inside the cab, but I'll burn that bridge when I get there. HTH.

Mark
Unread 09-02-2004, 03:19 AM   #4
CubanJeeper

Rust around a Jeep windshield? THAT PROPOSTEROUS! What is this world coming to.

Don't mind me...its been a long night.
[b][color=red]Red Jeep Club Member #33[/color][/b]

Red 94 4.0L Stock 5-spd YJ - 106k mi
SteelHorse UltraTop Soft Top - Alpine Head Unit - 4x6 Clarion Plate Speakers (dash) - Pioneer 6x9s(rear) - 10" Advent Subwoofer in Custom Enclosure - SoundStream USA 180w amp - Cobra 29LTD CB - 5ft Firestick II antenna - Dual Air Horns - Restrictor Free
CubanJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2004, 03:43 AM   #5
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

windshield frame

this is pretty common. been meaning to write the book, '1001 jeep tricks' number 392 would be to remove the little metal widget that covers the seam in the rubber. its usually right in the center. this is where the rust always starts. mine got soo bad that the rust was growing and pushing on the glass and you could see the glass deviate from flat.
i replaced my frame with a fiberglass one. i know i know they dont make one for a yj. the only reason they dont is because the roll bar attaches to the windshield frame. i used to do alot of fiberglass work so i simply glassed in a few threaded incerts on a frame made for a cj. i then made a rubber gasket to go between the metal and fiberglass.
the main problem i ran into was the accuracy of the fiberglass reproduction was absolutely horrible. not only did it take hours of finish work but the two halves didnt line up properly. this caused an inconsistend flange for the glass to mount to. the glass shop warned me upon inspection. i had them do it anyway and it came out ok but the rubber isnt perfectly seated. the threaded inscerts for the main brakets didnt quite line up. i think this is more a factor of the inaccuracy of the product than anything else. all-in-all i wouldnt do it again if i could do it over.
Painting: i had the frame painted at a shop. it was pricy and when i got a replacement hood i decided to paint it myself. i got the chepest spraygun from home depot. its like a $30.ish cambelhousefield. to my surprise it worked great with a large spray pattern.
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2004, 07:08 PM   #6
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

i had the same thing on both of the bottom corners of my frame, so i took out the windshield gasket, got in there with a dremel, grinded all the rust out (it wasnt to bad) then filled it in with body filler, sanded it, painted it, yadda yadda, hasnt given me problems since
youngjeeper11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2004, 01:38 AM   #7
NIUPonyBoy
2007 JK Wrangler 

I am removing my stock windshiel harware when I replce them and I am going to dremel all the old paint and rist off. Prime it, treat it with a rust inhibator and then repaont with some touch up before I cover most of it up with the hardware, Hopefully should look nice.

John
Unread 04-17-2010, 11:52 PM   #8
white_2003
1971 CJ5 

I just bought a replacement frame from 4wd and just brought it to work and powder coated it, should last another 100 million years. If you have a connection its the ONLY thing to use on parts like that. I powder coated everything except the frame and thats next on the list when the jeep gets put away for the winter
white_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.