Runs rough!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Runs rough!!

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 06-20-2008, 09:29 PM   #1
ANGIOMAN
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Runs rough!!

Howdy All, I have a problem with my Jeep running rough and I was hoping you guys/gals could help me trouble shoot it. My Jeep is a 1993 Renagade with the 6 cyl., 5-speed and 125,000 miles on the odometer. So, this morning I leave for work and the jeep starts and idles fine, but start to sputter above 1600 rpms. I replaced the fuel filter and added some fuel treatment hoping they would help, NOT. I have replaced the plugs, wires, rotor, and cap within the last six months and this is the first problem I have had. When the jeep is idling there is a lot of black watery discharge out the tail pipe and when I rev the motor above 1600 rpm the motor sputters and the exhaust spells like I lit a match?. also,I almost ran out of gas last week causing the fuel pump to wine,but after I filled up the wining stopped. Please help! I don't want to bring it in and pay hundreds of dollars that I don't have.

Thanks in advance.

ANGIOMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2008, 11:54 PM   #2
havasu
On permanent vacation

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Take a rubber mallet and give your catalytic converter a good bang. If your hear it rattling, then it is getting worn out and clogging up. It may be time to replace it.
havasu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2008, 11:56 PM   #3
bunkrdfool
2007 JK Wrangler 

^ Ditto ^
Unread 06-21-2008, 12:16 AM   #4
Delta347
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

If it is the cat. conv. you might have it easy for a fix! Don't they have a lifetime warranty? A fellow YJ owner once told me that his broke open and the factory replaced it for free since it has a Life Time Warranty.
Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.
Delta347 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2008, 10:15 AM   #5
havasu
On permanent vacation

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I wish a "lifetime warranty" was that easy. Most manufacturers do have extended warrantys for emission control devices, but if I am not mistaken, excludes cats and forbids off road usage. If you are the original owner or lucky to have all the warranty papers which were sold with the jeep, then it wouldn't hurt to read the fine print and challenge the dealer. If not, I would recommend to "suck it up" and pay the $70-$100 for the new one.

You might also ask for the old one to be returned to you and take it to a salvage yard. I hear they are giving $35 for some cats because of the valuable metals inside them.

Last thing, in So. Cal., thefts of cats are on the rise. It usually occurs to Toyota 4runners because the cats are big, the tall frame allows easy access while stealing them, and there are only a few bolts holding them on. Do yourself a favor, ask a welder to hit the bolts with a welder to stop from being stolen.
havasu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2008, 11:26 AM   #6
ANGIOMAN
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I crawled under the jeep real quick this morning to rap the converter and found that it is completely protected by the skid plate. Yeah!
Unread 06-21-2008, 11:38 AM   #7
tazzzdvil
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The sulfur smell always makes me think of the cat.

See that's why the older rusted jeeps are good.

Before starting my project, I could whack it from inside
tazzzdvil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2008, 11:59 AM   #8
retroflow
1997 TJ Wrangler 

While it may be your Cat, I've had a very dead Catalytic Converter and you didn't mention anything that sounds like the usual symptoms - unmistakeable. However, a failing/dead O2 sensor will make your exhaust pipe sooty, as well as your spark plugs and the O2 sensor itself. Check 'em out. Oxygen sesnors don't last forever and your YJ will have outlived the original if you still have it on there, by what mileage you said here. At best, heated O2 sensors last maybe 100k if that, more often less.

Check around to your favorite auto supplies and then try on eBay. If you check on eBay, don't limit your search to Jeep only, try Dodge, Plymouth, etc. or search for the exact part numbers below..

According to my resources, you'll need the following part number/brand..

OS141 - BWD (Borg Warner)
SG121 - SMP (standard)
23023 - NTK (NGK)
213-1318 - AC Delco
15704 - Bosch
Unread 06-21-2008, 02:36 PM   #9
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with these guys, it has all the indications of a bad catalytic convertor. And, true enough, it will probably require replacement. There is one thing to keep in mind though, catalytic covertors don't "die", they're "murdered"! Try to find out the cause of the failure, or you'll face doing it again later on.

HTH
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2008, 03:39 PM   #10
NDJeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta347 View Post
If it is the cat. conv. you might have it easy for a fix! Don't they have a lifetime warranty? A fellow YJ owner once told me that his broke open and the factory replaced it for free since it has a Life Time Warranty.
Lifetime warrenty means for the life cycle of the product. If the company dosn't produce the model of the cat and has upgraded to a newer model than the life cycle of your product ends voiding your warrenty. Car parts dont go opsolete so much but never be fooled by the lifetime warrenty of a computer part. Those warrantys are only good for a year or so.
NDJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2008, 10:35 AM   #11
ANGIOMAN
1993 YJ Wrangler 

turns out the rotor was broke. Runs like a top now!

Thanks for all of the ideas!
Unread 06-27-2008, 02:37 PM   #12
1995_4.5L Jeep

[QUOTE=havasujeeper;5363791]I wish a "lifetime warranty" was that easy. Most manufacturers do have extended warrantys for emission control devices, but if I am not mistaken, excludes cats and forbids off road usage. If you are the original owner or lucky to have all the warranty papers which were sold with the jeep, then it wouldn't hurt to read the fine print and challenge the dealer. If not, I would recommend to "suck it up" and pay the $70-$100 for the new one.
QUOTE]

I have to chime in on this. Emissions contolled vehicles have a 8 year 80K mileage warranty on emissions equipment. I got my cat. covered by jeep when my 1995 had 76K and was younger than 8 years. I believe federal law requires a manufacturer to cover the emissions equipment for 8 years regardless of factory warranty terms; eg. 3 year/36k warranty.
ax-15 trans
4" lift 33" tires
1995_4.5L Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2008, 11:09 PM   #13
jodylikeamelody
1994 YJ Wrangler 

My Jeep reeks!

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I just got my Jeep this spring. It only has 53,000 miles on it. I plan on doing a lot of modifications and such, but right now I am most concerned about the smell. The first couple of months it smelled liked burning hair, now it has gotten to rotten egg, with a black powder build up on the tailpipe. Any suggestions? I was thinking catalytic converter
jodylikeamelody is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2008, 01:51 AM   #14
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

With a "rotten egg" smell you would be rightly so in thinking it is the cat.
There are a select few things that could cause a smell resembling that, but when you distinctly smell rotten eggs, it's 95% of the time a cat-conv issue.

BTW: For your profile, you more than likely have a 4.0L engine since you mention "straight 6". An NP231 transfer case, and Dana 30 / Dana 35 for your front and rear axles respectively.

Where in Michigan are you?
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused click here to see how I view the forum.
Brandon_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2008, 10:05 AM   #15
Mazookie
2003 WJ 

Hey, this reminds of something a guy told me. I was looking at his truck to buy it was a Chevy S10 ZR2, he was telling us about it and he said that the CAT was clogged so he just cut it out lol. Thats what you get livin in the country. Most guys at my high school just straight pipe there trucks. I know this doesn't help but hope you find out whats wrong.
~Mazooks~
Mazookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.